Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking notes on Critical Reasoning?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-07-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Taking notes on Critical Reasoning? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 04:09
Manhattan Startegy Guide encourages active note-taking when reading a critical reasoning. However, I have noticed this takes up a significant time. Not only does it take time to write down all the main points, come up with plausible abbreviations is cumbersome.

How do you do? Is it really necessary to improve this part? Or should I skip to write things down completly.

Last edited by jonatande on 08 Jan 2013, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [1] , given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Taking notes on Critical Reasoning? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 06:08
This post received
KUDOS
if you are consuming a lot of time, don't do it.

there is no one way to do verbal. do what is comfortable for you.

My thought process was pretty similar to yours, in that I thought I was wasting too much time taking notes. (Well, I tried it only for 1-2 questions; I was pretty lazy and realized this thing is not going to work).

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Taking notes on Critical Reasoning? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 07:22
Note taking is indeed a time consuming method and while it may work for some candidates for some others it doesn't. Your focus while doing a critical reasoning question should be to understand the meaning of the argument instead of trying to figure out how to make symbols and abbreviations. In fact, keeping the diagrammatic approach at bay was one of our goals while writing the GMAT Critical Reasoning Grail.

This is not to say that the diagrammatic method is bad. It is useful in some cases but you certainly don't want to become that dependent on it that the moment you see a critical reasoning question, instead of trying to understand the meaning of the argument you straightway start putting your pen to paper.
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Taking notes on Critical Reasoning? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 08:12
Note taking in CR works the same way as it does in RC. If you are taking some notes in RC then you may want to consider doing the same of 30-40% of CR problems you face on GMAT. The reason is simple you are going to be under stress during verbal section and working memory decreases under stress.You dont have to do a big T diagram by MGMAT.Rather some abbreviated notes about what you are reading to keep your focus on CR problems.Refer to any of the Stacey Koprince article on CR problems. She has a nice abbreviation system.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: Taking notes on Critical Reasoning? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 08:36
Whether or not to take notes depends on you. Some think it helps, some do not.

I take notes not to go back and read them, but to force myself to remember what I read. I generally paraphrase, make abbreviations, and write sloppily (i.e. I could probably not re-read my notes anyway), but this forces me to remember what I just read. If you take notes, even ones that are meant to be re-read, it should only take a few seconds.

My suggestion is to work through the OG and try taking notes. See if it helps you.

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: Taking notes on Critical Reasoning?   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2013, 08:36