Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The next 2 years??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The next 2 years?? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2004, 19:09
I just graduated (ivy) and started working in consulting. I plan on applying to schools in 2 years and have a question about what i can be doing over the next few years to increase my chances of admission to a top 5/10 school....

-I did very poorly in econ classes at school and didn't take finance/accounting-- should i try and take them at a local school before applying?

-when is the best time to take gmats?

-what types of leadership experience out of the office looks best? in a volunteer environment or through some other type of organization?

-has anyone used veritas? ive heard diff. things abt kap/pr and dont have manhattan gmat near me so i want to find the best gmat prep class

thanks for the help!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2004, 19:42
Expert's post
Yeah, I'd recommend taking at least one finance/accounting class. Doing well in the class will demonstrate that you can handle the material, and (maybe more importantly) demonstrate that you're serious about learning the stuff that you'll need to know in b-school.

As for the GMAT, I don't know if there's an ideal time. Most schools want scores that are no more than five years old. So, obviously you don't want to take it too soon. But there's no rush to take it, either. You have a lot of time right now, so use it to your advantage. I strongly recommend studying in bits and pieces over a long time rather than cramming in the one month leading up to the exam. Steadily expose yourself to the material over time, and by the time you go to take the exam the questions will be so familiar to you that you'll feel very comfortable. This is what I did, and while everyone's learning style is different, it worked well for me. Usually people will respond "But I don't have that much time!" The good news for you is that you have a couple of years before you're going to apply, I assume.

Leadership experiences in the workplace and in the community are weighed fairly equally. All things being equal, they probably prefer a work-related experience, but a very strong non-work leadership story beats a merely good work-related story any time. When thinking about what types of examples to write about, use this as a general test: What happened/was achieved that wouldn't have happened if you weren't there? Were you merely part of the group? Were you just following orders are doing a good job? Or did you really make something happen, something that not just anyone else could have done?

Regarding Veritas, their instructors are really strong. (Note that Veritas is a partner of ours. We've partnered with several GMAT-related firms.) Veritas is positioned as the high-end course, and they deliver on that promise, based on what we've heard.

Best,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews