Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Haas, Anderson, Booth, Kellogg MMM, Stanford
 Q49  V46
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Re: The Taxman Cometh [#permalink]
Kudos
Actually the tuition deduction has less stringent requirements than either the Hope or Lifetime learning credit, especially with regard to income. The Hope and Lifetime Learning credit is phased out at income between $48,000-$58,000. The tuition deduction is phased out between $65,000-$80,000 of income. The only requirements for the tuition deduction are:

1. You pay qualified educational expenses of higher learning
2. You pay the qualified expenses for a qualified student
3. The qualified student is yourself, your spouse, or your dependent (who you claim an exemption for).

The IRS defines qualified expenses as tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment or attendance at any college, university, vocational school or other post-secondary school eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the US Dept. of Education. It includes virtually every public, non-profit and private post-secondary institutions.

The IRS defines qualified student as a student who is enrolled in one or more courses at an eligible institution (defined above).

So a full-time MBA student, paying tuition at an accredited university, would meet the eligibility requirements above. One point to note, is that the deduction is limited to $4,000, and the amount of eligible tuition is reduced by tax-free scholarships you receive. Given the tuition costs at most MBA programs, it shouldn't be too hard to have $4,000 in tuition that comes out of your own pocket.

You can only claim one option out of Hope credit, Lifetime Learning credit or tuition deduction. If you're eligible for more than one, you can claim the one that results in the lowest tax for you.

BTW - none of us will qualify for the Hope credit, since it only covers the first 2 years of post-secondary education. Seeing how we all have bachelor degrees already, we fail that requirement.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I stand corrected then, $4,000 in tuition and other qualified expenses does appear to be tax-deductible. So my original comment should have read "Actually, [except for up to $4,000] MBA tuition and expenses are typically NOT tax deductible." I was mistakenly thinking about deducting MBA tuition on our tax returns as a "work-related educational expense" when I spoke about there being stringent IRS "tests" to meet and everything.

I'm sure for a lot of us a $2,000 Lifetime Learning tax credit is still a better deal than not paying taxes on $4,000 of income.

Thanks for setting me straight Jerz. +1. :wink:

Jerz wrote:
Actually the tuition deduction has less stringent requirements than either the Hope or Lifetime learning credit, especially with regard to income. The Hope and Lifetime Learning credit is phased out at income between $48,000-$58,000. The tuition deduction is phased out between $65,000-$80,000 of income. The only requirements for the tuition deduction are:

1. You pay qualified educational expenses of higher learning
2. You pay the qualified expenses for a qualified student
3. The qualified student is yourself, your spouse, or your dependent (who you claim an exemption for).

The IRS defines qualified expenses as tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment or attendance at any college, university, vocational school or other post-secondary school eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the US Dept. of Education. It includes virtually every public, non-profit and private post-secondary institutions.

The IRS defines qualified student as a student who is enrolled in one or more courses at an eligible institution (defined above).

So a full-time MBA student, paying tuition at an accredited university, would meet the eligibility requirements above. One point to note, is that the deduction is limited to $4,000, and the amount of eligible tuition is reduced by tax-free scholarships you receive. Given the tuition costs at most MBA programs, it shouldn't be too hard to have $4,000 in tuition that comes out of your own pocket.

You can only claim one option out of Hope credit, Lifetime Learning credit or tuition deduction. If you're eligible for more than one, you can claim the one that results in the lowest tax for you.

BTW - none of us will qualify for the Hope credit, since it only covers the first 2 years of post-secondary education. Seeing how we all have bachelor degrees already, we fail that requirement.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Jerz wrote:

Don't assume it took everyone here two full years to get their bachelor's degree. There are some pretty bright people in this forum.

:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Haas, Anderson, Booth, Kellogg MMM, Stanford
 Q49  V46
Send PM
Thanks guys. Good stuff. So it looks like I will really only get to take a $2000 credit or reduce taxable income by $4000. Bummer.

With regards to the 401k to Roth IRA, my point was that I'd would like to first roll-over my 401k to a traditional IRA and then convert to a Roth IRA. Since in 2010 I will be in the unique situation that my income will be extremely low (only internship wages), it makes sense to convert traditional to roth and pay a low tax rate. The Roth bet is that your retirement tax rate will be higher, so the lower the rate you pay on roth dollars the better the chances are that your bet pays off. I have heard of people doing this when they take a year off to travel or were just out of work.

As a reward to those with the resolve to discuss taxes instead of more exciting b-school banter, I am sharing my new favorite website. Great for killing a few minutes on your bberry or iphone.

textsfromlastnight.com
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
dayman wrote:
textsfromlastnight.com