Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Things I messed up on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Things I messed up on [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 07:19
Hi Paul

I am hoping to get some advice from you on how to deal with the following 2 issues in my applications.

I started a one-year Diploma in Advanced Management (Distance Learning) in 2003. I failed the Quantitative Techniques paper and since then haven't bothered to clear it. Now I realise the Diploma would be an advantage for my applications but I can only give the paper in Dec'07.

The reason I didn't give this exam then was that I was also doing my bachelor's at that time, again via by Distance learning. Both courses had to be distance learning because I was also working. I finished my bachelor's degree - but I ignored this paper thinking I could do it whenever I wanted to but now it haunts me...

How do I approach this in my apps... should I keep it out or mention it?

I finished my Bachelor's degree the month I turned 25 (Jan'04). That's late. Most ppl in India have their Bachelor's out of the way by the time they turn 20.
Maybe to my credit, I have been working full time since I was 18 (10 yrs now). In between I switched to part-time for my Bachelor's for 2 and a half yrs. I had originally started doing a Bachelor of Commerce (by correspondence) at 17 but after my first year I left it, because the industry I was working in (Garment Exports) doesn't require any formal education to succeed. Also the course curricula had not been updated by Delhi University for more than 20 years making it obsolete and I didn't want to get a degree just for the sake of getting a degree. I wanted a degree that would add value to me. This degree would have failed to do that. That's the reason I finally did my Bachelor's degree in IT. By that time I had changed my industry (BPO) and I needed education to succeed here. This degree also gave me a skill set.

How do I approach the issue of finishing my graduation so late?

I hope I have provided you with sufficient information to understand my circumstances enough for you to make sense of what I just typed.
Thank you for any help that you can provide.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Things I messed up on [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 09:45
vikramjit_01 wrote:
Hi Paul

I am hoping to get some advice from you on how to deal with the following 2 issues in my applications.

I started a one-year Diploma in Advanced Management (Distance Learning) in 2003. I failed the Quantitative Techniques paper and since then haven't bothered to clear it. Now I realise the Diploma would be an advantage for my applications but I can only give the paper in Dec'07.

The reason I didn't give this exam then was that I was also doing my bachelor's at that time, again via by Distance learning. Both courses had to be distance learning because I was also working. I finished my bachelor's degree - but I ignored this paper thinking I could do it whenever I wanted to but now it haunts me...

How do I approach this in my apps... should I keep it out or mention it?

I finished my Bachelor's degree the month I turned 25 (Jan'04). That's late. Most ppl in India have their Bachelor's out of the way by the time they turn 20.
Maybe to my credit, I have been working full time since I was 18 (10 yrs now). In between I switched to part-time for my Bachelor's for 2 and a half yrs. I had originally started doing a Bachelor of Commerce (by correspondence) at 17 but after my first year I left it, because the industry I was working in (Garment Exports) doesn't require any formal education to succeed. Also the course curricula had not been updated by Delhi University for more than 20 years making it obsolete and I didn't want to get a degree just for the sake of getting a degree. I wanted a degree that would add value to me. This degree would have failed to do that. That's the reason I finally did my Bachelor's degree in IT. By that time I had changed my industry (BPO) and I needed education to succeed here. This degree also gave me a skill set.

How do I approach the issue of finishing my graduation so late?

I hope I have provided you with sufficient information to understand my circumstances enough for you to make sense of what I just typed.
Thank you for any help that you can provide.

vikramjit_01,

1) If you will not have the advanced diploma by the time you apply to B-school and if your target B-schools do not require you to mention *all* academic programs you've been enrolled in, then don't mention the advanced diploma at all. If you are required to disclose it, then just explain the problem as you explained it to me. Tell them that you intend to redo the Quant. Techniques paper and will earn the diploma in December.

2) Here I think you just need to explain it as you did to me. That is, you had specific reasons for not earning the bachelor's and you had to work full-time. The story you told me does not reflect badly on you. The B-schools' only concern will be whether you have the 'numbers' to show that you can succeed academically and whether you have the leadership experiences and potential to be a good manager.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 16:58
Thank you for your advice Paul. I can't believe I had the most bothersome aspects of my application answered for free and answered so easily! :-D
I forgot to mention my days in Garment Exports weren't a total academic waste since I did do a course in elementary German (even got a partial scholarship for the next semester) and then a 4 month Diploma in Export Management.

BTW, I have searched many book stores here in India but none had your book. I ordered one fom eBay finally, but considering India's large applicant pool (largest Non-US applicant pool now I hear) I thought many popular titles, like your book, would be easily available. Guess publishers there need to hire some more International MBA's :wink:

Thank you again for your help and the fantastic service that you provide.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 12:50
vikramjit_01 wrote:
Thank you for your advice Paul. I can't believe I had the most bothersome aspects of my application answered for free and answered so easily! :-D
I forgot to mention my days in Garment Exports weren't a total academic waste since I did do a course in elementary German (even got a partial scholarship for the next semester) and then a 4 month Diploma in Export Management.

BTW, I have searched many book stores here in India but none had your book. I ordered one fom eBay finally, but considering India's large applicant pool (largest Non-US applicant pool now I hear) I thought many popular titles, like your book, would be easily available. Guess publishers there need to hire some more International MBA's :wink:

Thank you again for your help and the fantastic service that you provide.

vikramjit_01,

Thanks for your insights on finding my book in India. Yes, you would think that the publisher would see the market there and do something. Unfortunately, I have learned not to expect much help in marketing from one's publisher.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter