Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thought i had done everything right - still got a 600!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thought i had done everything right - still got a 600! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 22:56
Hi,

I could really need some advice right now if someone has some the time to spare it.

I have been practicing the GMAT for 2 and a half months now, on leave from my office.I have covered a lot of books including MGMAT verbal, OG, Kaplan 800, Kaplan GRE GMAT, Nova etc. I started with a score of 620 on Gmat prep and was consistently performing from 680-730 by the end(mostly GMATprep since I could not find any free kaplan tests).

I got a 600 on the actual score (41 quant , 30 verbal) whereas I was doing much better in verbal in the gmatprep consistently finishing 10 before time . I did get a 2-3 boldface CR (where can one practice those?) and one huge passage.

On test day,I do agree that I was very tired and sleepy but while giving the test I did not think I was doing so badly till the end when I was running out of time for the last 4-5 qs in both verbal and quant.I had not practised most of the gmat prep exams with the AWA either.That prob got to me as well.However, in terms of study I dont think I can do any more than what I did so far till I understand what went wrong.I have no idea. Pls advise.

Also, what would you all suggest - Should I reschedule for the next month. (I very badly want to apply in round two)and just trust that I will get better score next time and start my applications or
- should I wait and apply next year? I am a female ,29 and feel its already too late for me.

Also, has anybody faced such a steep decline from test scores in Gmat prep and the actual score? What could I be doing wrong?

Please help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Calm Down [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 06:45
I think your story is a pretty common story: Studied hard, did well on practice tests, didn't do well on the real test.

I think a lot of times the test just psyches people out. I remember a couple days before I took the test I was starting to get really antsy, just wanted it to be over with. I showed up on test day and was really anxious to get it over with, and was thinking, "Man, I really don't want to shell out another $250 to take this again, I have to nail this."

But you can't put too much pressure on yourself like that. You have to just relax and realize, "This is just like any other practice test."

So I would advise you to take as many CATs as you can between now and the next test, really get a good feel for how to budget your time. I probably sound like a broken record because I've said this to a few other people, but really try to get a feel for when it's time to give up on a question and just guess and move on to the next question. I guessed on at least three questions on the quant section and ended up getting a good score because by just guessing instead of agonizing over the question I saved a lot of time.

So take lots of practice tests and then on test day take a deep breath and relax and you'll do great.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 08:38
Thank johnnyx9 , but I feel really bad since I did put in a lot of effort.
And I had just the gmatprep exams to keep giving again , and now I feel that even they are not reflective of the actual score I might get.

Dont even understand where to start from..what to revise . I did cover up a lot of concepts in this first attempt? How do I ensure I dont land up like this again?
Any ideas will be really appreciated
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
How To Prepare [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 09:29
Well if I were you I would buy some CAT's. I know Manhattan (MGMAT) has simluated GMATs (they're not actually CAT's because they don't adapt) which gives you a good amount of practice with budgeting time.

I think PR or Kaplan has extra CATs you can purchase online. Check out this forum, people have posted lots of links on where to get CATs.

So if you have a month or so to prepare, try to take a couple of CATs a week and then spend a few hours every week focusing on weak areas.

And most importantly, stay positive, you don't need to look too far for inspiration as there are many people on these message boards that have bounced back from bad test experiences. Just forget about your bad test experience and really get pysched up for round 2. Go in there confident and CALM and you'll do just fine.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 12:59
i was consistantly scoring in the 700 range with the Kaplan tests and gmatpreps. then test day i got a 640..my verbal just shot way down compared to practice tests.

im going to retake the test. im now just reviewing verbal and in teh last week and a half go back to both Q n V
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 21:53
Thanks johnnyx9 and jayy178,

I am going to give it one more shot and I am not going to let one attempt tear me down. I would have liked it to work for me but hey! its when the going gets tough that the tough get going! and I am anything but not tough :)

Thanks again...will make sure I PM you both when I get an 800 or near there somewhere :)
  [#permalink] 14 Nov 2006, 21:53