Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time strategy for Quantitative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Time strategy for Quantitative [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 21:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all. I read an older thread about timing strategies at: http://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html#p602546

Like many other people, timing is a one of the biggest challenges for me in the Quantitative section, and I'm coming from a Comp Sci/Math background! One thing that I would like to discuss is when to move on and guess in the Quantitative section.

Specifically, the aformentioned thread above suggests moving on after 2 minutes. However, wouldn't a better strategy be to move on if you cannot even come up with the equations in one minute for PS questions? Most likely, even if you can come up with the equation for a PS question, it may take another minute to come up with the answer. Thus, if you can't come up with the equations at the one minute mark, you can save a whole minute from that question that you could use on future questions.

Something similar to this strategy is perhaps giving yourself no more than 45 seconds after reading a PS question to come up with the equations. If you cannot come up with the equations in 45 seconds after reading a PS question, it's time to move on.

Thoughts on this?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9421 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Time strategy for Quantitative [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 21:37
Expert's post
Thank you for the suggestion :idea:

I like the idea and I think you should test it to see if you are able to get a higher result - i think there are good chances. Any plans to take a test any time soon?
Any way to take 2 tests with 2 different strategies and prove that it works?

I tried to adopt something similar but it has not worked for me. What I found was that I gave up too easily by adopting such "I'll catch up on the next question" strategy. I ended up not fighting for every question (which I think is important). Also, usually, with GMAT questions, you will know how to solve at least half of a question most of the time. On my GMAT, for example, I only had 1 question that I did not know how to solve (a hard probability one) and I spent 3 minutes on it, which I still thought was worth it since I kept thinking I could crack it (kind of like gambling - sucks you into it). I knew how to solve the rest (though of course I got only 49, which means anything from 3 to 10 errors).

Thoughts?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Time strategy for Quantitative [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 22:04
Something else I thought of is if you are running out of time on the last 10 questions or so on the Quantitative section, it makes more sense to guess and save time on DS questions. This is because with DS questions, you can eliminate answers to AD or BCE by determining if the first point is sufficient or insufficient. Conversely, for PS questions, there may be less answers that you can eliminate (with some PS questions, there really isn't an answer that you can eliminate at all). From my experience, sometimes you may not even be able to eliminate any answers for PS questions even if you get the equations right - the final answers may look wildy different from how you setup your equation. Of course, if you read a PS question quickly and can eliminate answers, then all the better.

Thoughts on guessing on DS questions versus PS questions on the last 10 questions?
Re: Time strategy for Quantitative   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2009, 22:04