Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tips to Handle Dense Science Passages

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Tips to Handle Dense Science Passages [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

what strategy do I use to handle Science passages. They have a lot of scientific jargon,which is very difficult to understand. :?
I do active reading & try not to go into much details,but sometimes I simply can't understand a passage due to various
scientific terms & concepts.

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: Tips to Handle Dense Science Passages [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
RJSPO wrote:
Hi All,

what strategy do I use to handle Science passages. They have a lot of scientific jargon,which is very difficult to understand. :?
I do active reading & try not to go into much details,but sometimes I simply can't understand a passage due to various

I dislike Science passages too. But you have to get through them! Superficial enthusiasm. Pretending that you're really into the topic is the one thing I learned that KIND OF helps. But it doesn't always. You just have to get over it. The passages usually aren't fun. They're meant to be that way.

If you take notes throughout the passage, trying to outline the important parts - I've found that this forces you to pay more attention.

Also, if you come across words that you have no idea about (which should be often when it comes to these boring science passages) - just give that word a different, shorter word, that you actually understand. Try to make it fit the context. In most situations, that word isn't necessary and you can come up with a suitable synonym. Other times, that part of the paragraph isn't really essential to the overall passage. If it is, you can revisit it and pay more attention to that term but in most cases, it's just there to rattle your nerves.

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Re: Tips to Handle Dense Science Passages [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 00:30
RyanCJW wrote:
RJSPO wrote:
Hi All,

I dislike Science passages too. But you have to get through them! Superficial enthusiasm. Pretending that you're really into the topic is the one thing I learned that KIND OF helps. But it doesn't always. You just have to get over it. The passages usually aren't fun. They're meant to be that way.

If you take notes throughout the passage, trying to outline the important parts - I've found that this forces you to pay more attention.

Also, if you come across words that you have no idea about (which should be often when it comes to these boring science passages) - just give that word a different, shorter word, that you actually understand. Try to make it fit the context. In most situations, that word isn't necessary and you can come up with a suitable synonym. Other times, that part of the paragraph isn't really essential to the overall passage. If it is, you can revisit it and pay more attention to that term but in most cases, it's just there to rattle your nerves.

Thanks ...I will show maximum. interest in the passages now :-D ,and will try to follow ur tips especially the synonym part.
Do you think taking notes is a good strategy ?
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: Tips to Handle Dense Science Passages [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 09:32
RJSPO wrote:
Thanks ...I will show maximum. interest in the passages now :-D ,and will try to follow ur tips especially the synonym part.
Do you think taking notes is a good strategy ?

If you're doing practice problems and you're really having a hard time following the passage and getting those questions right - it may benefit you to take notes or outline the passage.

I would try a problem set of reading comp questions outlining and and another not outlining and see if there is a vast improvement between the two. Outlining does take up quite a bit of time, but it also can help you answer questions more quickly.

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Re: Tips to Handle Dense Science Passages   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2013, 09:32