Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took today, got 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Took today, got 700 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2003, 16:47
Whew! Finally got it done. Took the afternoon time slot in LA so I could be well rested - I normally do my best work in the evening, but 1:30 was as close to a nighttime test as I could get.

Score was 700 (Q 44, V 41). Definitely got my target score in math, but am a bit disappointed with the verbal result. In the powerprep tests, I got 44 on math both times but got 44 and 47 on verbal. Matters not, I guess.

I prepared for several months for the exam. I made it my new year's resolution to take the test sometime in 2003, so I bought study materials near the end of March, and studied in April, May, June and half of July.

In April, I generally reviewed strategies in the books and practiced problems 2-4 hours per week, then 2-3 hours on the weekend. I increased the weekend hours starting in May so that I had time to take and review practice tests. Starting in June, I was doing problems every other night (both verbal and math) to stay fresh, doing probably 4-5 hours per week and 4-5 hours on the weekend. I tapered off by the end of June, and in July I only reviewed past problems.

I bought Kaplan's main GMAT book, PR's main GMAT book, Kaplan GMAT 800, and (in May) OG. I would recommend all of them except the PR.

Here are the main learnings I had:

1. Repitition is key. I cannot underestimate this. There were no math problems I did not know how to start. I had a strategy for every one of them, which was made possible because I basically saw nothing new.

2. Practice tests are critical. My first ever practice test was a PR 650. I barely got either section done on time. My last test was an OG, and I got a 760 (I recognized 5-6 of the problems, though, so my score was not representative). On this test I finished the math with 4 minutes left and the verbal with 14 minutes left. On the real test, I finished the math with 7 minutes and the verbal with 6 minutes. Practicing got my timing down and made me comfortable doing many different kinds of thinking in a short time span.

3. Relax. A family emergency arose last week on the eve of my original test date. As a result, I had to cancel my test and reschedule. This stressed me out, but by the middle of the week I was concentrating on my practice results and I knew I would only hurt myself by being worried. This is so important. I went in there believing in myself, so when I knew I didn't get a question right (i.e., spent 3-4 minutes and still didn't have it), I knew it was ok because I told myself "get the next one, you'll make up for it."

You have to realize that 1/4 (8-9) of the questions are experimental. When you consider that probably none of the first 6-8 questions are experimental, because they are instrumental in determining your score, you see that 8 or 9 of 30 questions -- almost 1 of every 3 -- is experimental. Therefore, when you feel bad about a problem, there's essentially a 1/3 chance that it didn't matter.

Speaking of chance, I saw 3 probablity questions and 1 counting question. Despite the decent Q score, I don't feel that any of the questions on the math were of the very, very difficult variety. There were definitely no very hard DS questions. Akamai's recent DS questions were tougher than anything I saw on DS. 8-) Also, most of Stolyar's questions are more difficult than the PS I saw, and I'd say his DS are right in line. Obviously I missed a fair number of questions, but because the probability questions kept coming up I knew I was ok. For me, errors are usually a result of working too quickly. That's probably what happened to me on verbal.

The materials that best helped me prepare were the Kaplan books and OG. By taking Kaplan, I think I got used to working through difficult material quickly. By using OG, I got a sense of how exactly the problems would look and feel.

In sum, I'm glad it's done. 700 is ok, and I can enjoy the benefit of not being one of the "non-team playing snobs" for whom bb has such disdain :)

Questions, please fire away. I may take a few days and not look at this stuff, but I am not going anywhere.

I would like to thank everyone for helping me achieve this score.

jp
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2003, 17:19
Compared to the Probability\perm&combination problems posted on this site, how did you find the ones on the actual test? were they more difficult\confusing ?
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2003, 20:20
Congratulations JP! I knew you would do well.

Regarding my "fun" DS problems, I admit that they are hard, but everyone that I know that has scored 750 or more says that they have seen equivalent problems.

My experience confirms that -- I think that the Q gets MUCH harder, the better you do because ETS is really trying to sort out all of the quant jocks at the 700+ level.

In any case, hope that swinging the heavy bat here help you for the real thing.

Hope you get into a great school!

(I'm a Bruin from Anderson).

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2003, 22:14
Congratulations JP,
Great score....you must be happy... I am sure all at GMATclub are happy for you....because u helped everybody a lot.....keep up the good work in your apps also
Best of luck for the apps

bhavesh
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2003, 22:42
Hi JP,

Congratulations on the awsome score!

Thanks for sharing the perspectiveon experimental questions, I've often wondered how these were spread acros the GMAT, like, is it possible that you could have a couple of them in the first 8-10 questions??? But Now I understand how the first 6-8 questions help in determining your score and also why people believe that the quant section gets slightly easier in the middle part!

Also, it's refreshing to see somebody very happy with his score and not brooding away about another possible retake!

Take care, have fun with the apps!

Get with the program!

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2003, 09:54
KSS wrote:
Compared to the Probability\perm&combination problems posted on this site, how did you find the ones on the actual test? were they more difficult\confusing ?

The ones on the test are easier, but that's because I drilled so well on the fundamental concepts essential to getting the difficult problems right. Practice harder ones, it definitely made the "straightforward" prob questions easier for me.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2003, 10:26
JP wrote:
KSS wrote:

The ones on the test are easier, but that's because I drilled so well on the fundamental concepts essential to getting the difficult problems right. Practice harder ones, it definitely made the "straightforward" prob questions easier for me.

Thanks. I took the test today got 690. you can look at my post...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2003, 18:21
Congratulations, JP!!!

Tell me more about a verbal part - CR and SC.
Were they thougher than you expected?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2003, 21:20
RK73 wrote:
Congratulations, JP!!!

Tell me more about a verbal part - CR and SC.
Were they thougher than you expected?

SC was a little bit tougher than most of the OG questions, but there are definitely hard SC questions in OG that approximated the level of SC difficulty I saw on Saturday. This is probably my strongest area, and I am a native speaker, so I sometimes have difficulty discerning difficult SC from easy SC. Start with #200 or so in OG.

I got SC as Q#1, then RC #2-4, then a few more SC, then RC, then finally a CR at around #9 or #10. This meant that of my last 30 questions, by far the most oft-seen question was CR. To be honest, I really got bored with them and started to fade a bit. Of the ~12 CR questions, I bet I missed 3. Throw in a missed RC question and SC question, and you can see how I was down to a 41.

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but the test was basically just like powerprep. I just did a better job on my powerprep CRs than I did on test day (I think). Will let you know when I get the report.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2003, 22:21
What kind of probability/combination questions did you get?
What are the topics for RC: Science, Social science , Business...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2003, 16:06
Hey JP,
Congrauts.... that's a great show.. Although i expected you to score still high.

All the best for your apps. Which schools are you planning for?

Also, if you get some time, dont forget the verbal forumn, you are wanted there :wink:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 12:17
JP

How would you solve that problem? What does it mean "how many pairs have at least one woman? " Taking GMAT on Saturday.. Got very confused with that one :(
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7763 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 13:06
Expert's post
venus wrote:
JP

How would you solve that problem? What does it mean "how many pairs have at least one woman? " Taking GMAT on Saturday.. Got very confused with that one :(

Here is a sample problem.
There are many many many more in the Math Discussion forum.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ight=women
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 14:57
Thanks, BB! Spasibo!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 23:16
venus wrote:
Thanks, BB! Spasibo!

Looks like everyone speaks Russian on this forum .....
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2003, 01:01
Dmitry wrote:
venus wrote:
Thanks, BB! Spasibo!

That's the international word.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7763 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2003, 08:54
Expert's post
RK73 wrote:
Dmitry wrote:
venus wrote:
Thanks, BB! Spasibo!

That's the international word.

Really? I did not know that.... Communism is marching on :lol:
Eternal Intern

GMAT Tests User
Hallo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2003, 19:26
:P

We need something in between :wink:

BB- from 750 on GMAT to a crusader for change :wink:
Hallo   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2003, 19:26