Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

top 10 program possible??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

top 10 program possible?? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2004, 03:04
Hello!

I was hoping to gather some feedback on my profile, based on my interest in applying to some top 10 mba programs next fall (entrance 2006). I have done quite a bit of research at this point, and I am most interested in reaching for UChicago, Kellogg and Wharton. I have been reviewing some of the resumes posted on this site, and I am started to feel quite insecure about my prospects!

- 4 years experience (3 as senior associate (Audit)- very early promotion) at big 4 accounting firm. Focus in the high tech industry with significant exposure to both large multinationals and local startups.
- 1 year experience in Corporate Audit Department at fortune 500 company. Travelled internationally about 40% of the time.
- Currently pursuing a 1 year 'round the world trip' where I have travelled overland through eastern europe, russia, china and southeast asia. Plan on volunteering in southeast asia during this time.
- plan on reentering workforce this spring- still considering what the best career move will be
- CPA, and passed all levels of CFA exam (waiting for processing of charter).
- female
- plan on taking gmat this summer- hoping for 700
- strong gpa from solid university

My main concerns regarding my background are:
- accounting background does not appear consistent with many of the top 10 candidates.
- 1 year sabbatical from working

I would really appreciate any suggestions on how I could improve my resume between now and next fall (application time).

Many thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2004, 17:25
There are a number of accountants at b-school and they tend to do quite well, so I wouldn't be discouraged because of that. It sounds like you have a pretty compeitive backround. For improvement:

1) Definitely continue to try and pursue leadership roles that have an impact on the organization you work for and on your clients
2) Hone your ideas around your career goals and make sure you understand how they mesh with your target schools
3) A lot of CPAs aren't able to mentor others, so seek out opportunities to do so at work
4) Try to find a way to get active in the community if you haven't already done so

http://www.mbagameplan.com