Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tourism Background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Tourism Background [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 08:46
(I copy my post again here, I had it on the Ms Finance sub-forum, and I think it fits better here)

Hi!

I am about to finish my bachelor in Tourism Business Management. I'm studying it in a public Spanish University, URJC.

My question is: I really like the financial world and would like to take a "junior" master program on Finance, do you think B-Schools will turn down my application due to my background?

I am aiming to get into an European B-Schools.

My degree has courses like: 2 micro/macro, 3 on accounting, 3 law, 1 statistics, 1 human resources, 2 psychology, etc. Actually, is similar to the Business Administration degree, is just that everything is studied under the tourism industry perspective and we lack some of the maths in economics.

I don't know if this will make my application an automatic direct reject.

Also I am worried about how to exactly measure my GPA. My grades form is from 1 to 10 (the Spanish system).

I've read, that to compute my GPA I will have to multiply the score of each subject as follows:

x1 the passed C grades(5 - 7,5) (In Spain you pass from the 5, not like in US 6) (In Spanish Aprobado = C)
x2 the B grades (7,5 - 9) (In Spanish Notable = B)
x3 the A grades (9 - 10) (In Spanish Sobresaliente = A)
x4 is given to what we call Honour Roll (Matricula de Honor in Spanish). Honour Roll is the highest distinction you can get on a subject and it is only given to one student, it means you got the ten, plus a distinction. It is really hard to get this in university, since it means you don't pay next years courses, and normally no one in the class gets that grade. I only achieved 9 honour rolls in all my degree, maybe I get two more on the last semester, which is actually quite good, nobody from my promotion has so many.

My GPA, when computed, is still a 2.5. This is really low.

So even-though I will try to hit 700+ on GMAT. Do you think I have any possibility to get in a Msc in finance?

Do you know if admission teams really take into account languages spoken? (In my case I can speak almost perfectly Spanish, English and French).

I hope to not be addressing nonsense questions or that have already been answered (I've looked up in the forum and couldn't find anything).

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Tourism Background   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2012, 08:46