Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Transcripts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Transcripts [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 23:36
If I have taken classes for credit at another university but the grades dont appear on the transcript at my university, will I still need to provide transcripts from all other universities as part of admissions into a phd program?

Edit: at one school, I did independent study and took 9 credits. At another, I did summer classes and have 9 credits as well. Since the grades didn't transfer, I was only aiming to pass. Needless to say, my grades ended up being Bs and Cs for those classes. I was allowed to take them because they weren't classes towards my major or anything quantitative. Those grades don't reflect my ugrad and current GPA. So do I need to disclose those grades? If so, will it be overlooked if I have a good story for it?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Transcripts [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 01:02
AFAIK, it depends on the university you're applying to. Some places require you to send in transcripts for any credit courses, some don't.
Intern
Intern

Re: Transcripts [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 08:22
The schools I want to apply to is the same schools your're applying to, such as Upenn, NYU, UIUC, etc.

Did you have to send all transcripts for those? It would be pretty ridiculous because 6 of those 9 credits from the first school, I took when I was still in high school.
Intern
Intern

Re: Transcripts [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 11:10
It seems they want all the transcripts from the schools I've emailed. That sucks, should I write a paragraph to explain my poor grades from other schools?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transcripts [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 19:40
Don't explain why you done poorly.... but emphasize how you have improved. Hope you have some X factors to offset this aspect of your app.

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Transcripts [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 22:41
I believe common wisdom is that, barring EXTREMELY significant events, don't explain anything if your GPA is in a general upward curve, the steeper the slope the better.

If you're planning on applying for Fall 2009, you still have time to focus on improving other aspects of your application, as GPA is not the be all and end all of the PhD application process. GMAT, LOR, SOI, research experience if any... all of these most likely have even greater effects.
Re: Transcripts   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2008, 22:41