Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck vs. Booth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Tuck vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 15:07
Paul, I would like to hear your thoughts on two schools, Booth & Tuck. I was accepted into both schools; now, I am struggling to make a decision. How do you view both schools and which one provides the better longterm value?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 177 [1] , given: 195

Re: Tuck vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 17:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First, congrats on these options - fantastic results.

It's obviously tough to tell someone where they should go without knowing what makes you tick, what you want for your career, etc. All I can probably do that will really help is tell you how I view these schools for strategic purposes entering the application process, which will probably carry over a bit.

With Chicago, I'm sure you know all about finance, flexible course work, etc. But the big thing about Booth is that there is an "edge" that is really good and healthy, but present nonetheless. There's a spirit of challenging yourself and raising your game that you don't always see in a b-school. The best thing about Booth is how social it is has become - with the Harper Center coming in a decade ago and then the South Loop providing a residential community - so that compliments the more competitive streak.

With Tuck, you are looking at more of a "summer camp" vibe in the way everyone connects and really dives into a collaborative experience. It's almost a cult, in a good way. Tuck has underrated ties to cool industries in NYC and I think it does the best of blending theoretical (case method) and practical (experiential) learning models. It's small and way the hell out there, but you can't really get a more intensely personal and connective experience.

So it sort of comes down to whether you'd rather have collaborative with a dash of big city competitive edge and brain-stretching, or you'd rather have collaborative with a healthy scoop of fun/friendly.

Both schools are amazing, both have big university brand names, both are among my very favorites. You honestly can't go wrong. If it's about something personal - geographic employment considerations, industry, so forth - I have no idea, obviously. But for culture considerations, see the above.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 10:34
Thanks for the response Paul, but what if you are indifferent to either environment and awarded full scholarship at Tuck to $40k at Booth, does that changes the dynamics of the decision making process. Also, if you are unsure about your career path and so would like to keep you career options open, what school provides the best exit opportunities? Yes I did look at the employment stats at both schools and I must say that Booth wins, in my opinion. Is that a fair assessment? Finally, how do you see the long-term brand and value of both schools? I know you are not a clairvoyant, but if you had to guess what school would still stand out 20 years from now, what school would you then choose?
Thanks for your response in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image