Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Two Undergraduate Degrees [#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Which degree was awarded first?

Hi Hjort,

I completed my Bio degree at UC Irvine first in 1994. The Electronics Eng Tech degree from DeVry was obtained in 1999. I currently work as a Sales Engineer for a power quality company, so my job utilizes my DeVry education more. Does it matter which degree is older?

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply. I know the UC Irvine 3.2 GPA isn't that bad, but when I think back at those late teen/early 20 years, I know I could have applied myself a lot more at the time.

Also, I was wondering how the DeVry GPA would be discounted. I know it may not be from the most prestigous school, but I jumped at the opportunity to take their B.S. in Electronics Eng Tech program completely tuition free, as my mom was working there at the time.

Thanks in advanced.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A common rule of thumb is that your first BA/BS degree is counted as the "real" BA/BS for direct comparison purposes with other students and the second BA/BS is counted more like a graduate degree in the sense that it provides extra information about your academic capabilities.

Hjort
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
cosmicstarr wrote:
Hjort wrote:
Which degree was awarded first?

Hi Hjort,

I completed my Bio degree at UC Irvine first in 1994. The Electronics Eng Tech degree from DeVry was obtained in 1999. I currently work as a Sales Engineer for a power quality company, so my job utilizes my DeVry education more. Does it matter which degree is older?

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply. I know the UC Irvine 3.2 GPA isn't that bad, but when I think back at those late teen/early 20 years, I know I could have applied myself a lot more at the time.

Also, I was wondering how the DeVry GPA would be discounted. I know it may not be from the most prestigous school, but I jumped at the opportunity to take their B.S. in Electronics Eng Tech program completely tuition free, as my mom was working there at the time.

Thanks in advanced.

I'm not sure that the first degree will be give more weight because it's the first degree. It may be given more weight because it is from a more prestigous school or one that is considered more rigorous. The good news is that you completed both degrees a long time ago. I suspect that any concerns about your academic performance will be addressed with your GMAT. If you do well, then they will tend to look more favorably on your academic record. If you don't do so well....

Taking a few business related courses now may also help you.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot