Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Updating admissions office and changing jobs before MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Updating admissions office and changing jobs before MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 13:05
Since submitting my applications, I resigned from my company. It was an early stage tech company, and although I planned to continue working there until starting an MBA program, the company had a poor culture and it was not doing well (16 employees left prior to me leaving and the company employed less than 20 people), and it did not make sense to stay any longer.

Post-MBA, I plan to go back into Finance (started there after undergrad). I have about six months before starting an MBA program, and I am planning to continue working. I think six months is too short to try to get a job in finance such as in equity research. I've been offered a short-term position with another early stage tech company to perform similar duties that I was doing at the company I recently left. The short term position is for a small (6% raise).

Couple questions.

1. Do I need to update the admissions offices of the programs I am applying to that I have left my job?
2. Would it be viewed negatively if I took on the short-term role because the role is not consistent with my post-MBA plans?

Thanks in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Updating admissions office and changing jobs before MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 19:03
This post received
KUDOS
Yes you need to tell admissions of the career move. They are basing their assessment of your candidacy on one set of assumptions and your candidacy has changed. However, you need to present this update in the proper context -- so that it is viewed favorably. The way you present this in the posting, it will not be that well received. Something simple as changing your tone can turn this from a net negative to a net positive. Also, remember that if you are admitted to a program, they will perform a background check and it is found out that you have left the firm you said that you were working for, this might cause some problems.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Updating admissions office and changing jobs before MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 19:18
Hi Kimberly,
Thank you for your response. Could you provide an example of how you would present my situation in a positive tone and be well received?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Updating admissions office and changing jobs before MBA   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2013, 19:18