Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent Advice Needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Urgent Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 08:53
Hello,

I have been studying the MGMAT materials for the quite a few months and I took the real GMAT a couple of weeks ago. I received the worst score yet 440 (Q-29/V-25), something horrible like that. My practice exams went as follows:

MGMAT - 5/21/2008 460 (Q-21/V-32)
MGMAT - 6/21/2008 460 (Q-27/V-27)
MGMAT - 8/16/2008 540 (Q-32/V-33)
MGAMT- 10/26/2008 580 (Q-42/V-29)
Practice Test MBA.com – 11/10/2008 490
Real GMAT - 11/25/2008 440

Now keep in mind tha previous practice exams I did not spend very much time on the essays and I did postpone my time at certain points but not very extensively. I am very frustrated because with the MGMAT books and OG guides I learned a lot of concepts but I didn't capitalize on them during the real test. I need advice because the second round deadlines are in April for the schools that I want to apply to and I need to get in the low 600's to remain competitive. Should I hold off until the following year or get private tutoring and still try to get into B-school this year. I am stuck and I don't know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 07:06
First, welcome to the forum! My first bit of advice is to browse around and participate, it does help, not only with the GMAT.

Back on topic - I don't think that anyone here can tell you whether you can improve your score until April or not. But you have taken the test only once so far, you can afford one more shot in two-three months and then a third one later in 2009. Three attempts is still OK. Looking at your practice scores, you need to focus on the fundamental concepts, so tutoring or some course (Kaplan? MGMAT?) should take care of that.

Also, I noticed that you took the GMATPrep test only once - the collective wisdom on the net is that GMATPrep is possibly the best practice tool and each of the two tests should be taken at least 3 times.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Re: Urgent Advice Needed   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2008, 07:06