Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

verbal improvement

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 18:43
I took the GMAT twice and my last score was 590 which was all because of my quant score. I have two months to study. I studied all GMAC books and the Manhattan verbal books. They were not effective in improving my timing and pace of reading. How can I improve my verbal and are there any effective prep courses that only teach verbal?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 7

Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
First, analyze your weak points. RC, CR or SC? Or may be you need to work on all three parts. RC takes more time and effort to improve wheraeas SC/CR can be easily improved in a couple of months.

I would suggest you to start reading newspapers/magazines ONLINE. This will improve your comprehension skills while reading on the computer screen. Solve as much official guide material as possible and make sure you apply the strategy you learn from the Manhattan Guides. Powerscore CR Bible is the ultimate book for CR. RC can be done from MGMAT guide or Powerscore LAST RC Bible (though very tough and do not reflect GMAT standrad). For SC stick to MGMAT Guide.

The Manhattan Online Mock CAT tests are very good to build stamina and their standard is of GMAT level. Make sure to give FULL Mock tests (including AWAs) as sectional tests is not what you are going to give in actual GMAT and a tired mind and brain after 3 Hrs exam is waht causes a poor performance in Verbal section even after good preparation.

Hope this helps. All the best for your preparation.
-Prabir
Intern
Intern

Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 11:54
Thank you so much for your recommendations, I would definitely do that. I am also thinking about taking a prep course and the only verbal course available was veritas since the rest had both math and verbal. I hope it pays off.
Intern
Intern

Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 23:52
Any recommendation from you guys. I need review center.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 23:57
ch wrote:
Thank you so much for your recommendations, I would definitely do that. I am also thinking about taking a prep course and the only verbal course available was veritas since the rest had both math and verbal. I hope it pays off.

Its great to have such prep course.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 05:11
prabir2001 wrote:
First, analyze your weak points. RC, CR or SC? Or may be you need to work on all three parts. RC takes more time and effort to improve wheraeas SC/CR can be easily improved in a couple of months.

I would suggest you to start reading newspapers/magazines ONLINE. This will improve your comprehension skills while reading on the computer screen. Solve as much official guide material as possible and make sure you apply the strategy you learn from the Manhattan Guides. Powerscore CR Bible is the ultimate book for CR. RC can be done from MGMAT guide or Powerscore LAST RC Bible (though very tough and do not reflect GMAT standrad). For SC stick to MGMAT Guide.

The Manhattan Online Mock CAT tests are very good to build stamina and their standard is of GMAT level. Make sure to give FULL Mock tests (including AWAs) as sectional tests is not what you are going to give in actual GMAT and a tired mind and brain after 3 Hrs exam is waht causes a poor performance in Verbal section even after good preparation.

-Prabir

Good advice Prabir.
I'd just like to re-emphasize the importance of reading online. In general people read slower on the computer screen than they do on paper (by about 70 words a minute I think). Therefore, it's important to read on a computer screen.

If my post helped let me know with a kudo ;)

I teach in Paris, write about the GMAT/GRE, and provide online consulting for both of these tests www.standardizedtests.org http://fr.standardizedtests.org/ (french)
Cheers!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 05:40
prabir2001 wrote:

-Prabir

Hi Prair,

Thank you so much for the advice and may i know where i can get the powerscore Bible for CR ...

thanks,
Abhi
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 985 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 06:27
keerthan wrote:
prabir2001 wrote:

-Prabir

Hi Prair,

Thank you so much for the advice and may i know where i can get the powerscore Bible for CR ...

thanks,
Abhi

Its not available in any Indian store. You can order online from flipkart.com

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: verbal improvement [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 10:18
keerthan wrote:
Hi Prair,

thanks,
Abhi

Hi Abhi,
I got it from Amazon in the US.. But in India i guess you can search in Flipkart (sorry, i never bought a book online in India) ...
You can find pirated copy of the book in Pune or Delhi.
And if you want to settle with an old version for free, please search in eSnips(dot)com

-Prabir
Re: verbal improvement   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2010, 10:18