Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:47

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very different background, please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Very different background, please help [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2006, 16:29
First I would like to thank Accepted.com and GMAT club for their invaluable help and effective support. A thousand thanks.

I am a mexican national currently working in Mexico and I want to pursue an MBA. The schools I have thought of are Kellogg, Stanford and U of A. I have already taken the GMAT and I got 730 (48Q, 42V). I would not have got this score without the info on this site.

The questions I have are:

What other schools would you suggest? What are my chances for Stanford and Kellogg? Is there anything else I could do to strenghten my position

Here is my background:

- I am a 31 year old male and I will be 32 by the time I apply (which worries me a bit)

- I have a Bachelors degree in Chemistry and Biology from a top public University in Mexico. I consistently received Diplomas and Acknowledgements for high academic achievement and I finished at the very top of my class with a GPA of about 3.9.

- Got a TELMEX fellowship (aprestigious mexican scholarship) the last year of college.

- To support my studies I worked at a local Carl´s Junior as the party manager.

- Meanwhile I was working as a professional model and I was a finalist in the "Model of the Year" contest in Sonora, México.

- I traveled extensively through Europe for a year volunteering as a Spanish Teacher.

- After school I worked as an english teacher at a private local university for a year.

- Got a Fulbright schoolarship to pursue Ph.D. studies at the University of Arizona in Molecular and Cellular Biology, I finished last summer with a GPA of 3.77 and many articles in very prestigious international journals (such as Nature Cell Biology)

- Since then I have been working as a professor of Biochemistry at the University of Sonora in Mexico. I will have my tenure this summer because of an accelerated tenure process due to outstanding scientific achievement.

Leadership positions:

In college I was the only student repesentative in the governing body of the University that is in charge of adding or modifying academic programs at the university.

Also while in college I was the president of a legally-recognized nonprofit organization (so no salary was received) whose objetive was to make science accesible to the general public. The donations we received were tax deductible.

I currently hold the chair of research of the School of Medicine at the University of Sonora, Mexico.

Entreprenurial experience:

While in college, my brother, a friend and I created a company called Megatech that sold computers that we assambled. The company grew and wa becoming profitable but we made some stupid desicions and it crashed. The whole experience lasted 4 years.

What I would like to do with the MBA is first to work at a venture capital firm as a chief analyst of projects dealing with biotechnology. Later down the road, with the experience gained I would like to create my own company.

CONCERNS:

1) I will be 32 by the time I apply

2) My work experience is very diverse and unrelated to industry and by the time I join school I will have been only two years a professor. Does that matter?

Once again, a thousand thanks for your help.

Carpe diem...now!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes