Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

very frustrated with kaplan cats, please help!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

very frustrated with kaplan cats, please help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 09:45
could someone tell me why the kaplan cats are insanely difficult? when i do the 800 score cats or the gmat paper tests from arco, i finish the math section in under an hour. But with Kaplan, I always run out of time around the 30th question, also my scores are horrible ( averaging 530 in kaplan ) and 700+ in everything else ( 640 in pp1)
whats is going on ? Also all of a sudden, my stong points have become my weak points and vice versa. I used to be good at Problem solving but bad at DS, now less than a week before my exam, the situation has reversed. PLEASE HELP , im ready to tear my hair out.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 10:06
hello Karan...

easy on the Kaplan...it is like climbing the mountain when U only need to climb a hill but isn't tht easier ...when U can climb a mountain it will be cakewalk for U to get on top the hil...

Kaplan is the mounatain...it is programed to give scores that do not coresspond with the scorez of the ets...

so don't loose heart and take it kool U may not have lost ur strenghts after all and more important never base the skill /ability on the Kap scores...but the toughness level sure sufficez most aspectz...

just go the REVIEW section on the home page and many have given their Ideaz abt the Kap...

take care good Luck

have fun :)

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 10:12
Karankaul,

Take it easy with emphasizing the Kaplan CAT scores. They are renowned to be much more difficult tests than the real deal. It's been awhile since I've taken one, but I do recall that its problems were much more demanding. From reading feedback on this site, people who score 700+'s on the real GMAT were getting 500-650 scores on these tests. The consensus seems to be that the PowerPrep tests are the most accurate scoring bar (please note the word "most"). It may help to view the Kaplan CAT's as hard-as-hell boot camps that will test your stress management, guessing, and time management skills. That's how I will view them once I finish them.

-Doug
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kaplan scores [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 15:58
Hi there,

Do not take to heart the Kaplan test results. Test takers generally do better than that... Also, in my personal experience, try not to stress much about the Kap scores or feel bad about them because you might carry that stress to the test day, and that could effectively lower your scores.

Rgds,
PB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2004, 17:11
I'm curious, for those of you that used the Kaplan Verbal Workbook, how did you feel about the difficulty of those problems? Do you guys feel that the difficulty of the workbook is consistent with the difficulty of the other Kaplan tests?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

thanks [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2004, 23:07
thanks for the help guys, i did the kaplan problem solving exercide on the CD and got a perfect 20/20, but when i take the test, i get 50% right? :p kaplan is weird! sorry dont know about the verbal workbook, just have the one main book.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2004, 06:05
That's impressive that you got a perfect score on the Kaplan quiz for PS. As I recall, the time is even shortened per question. Seems like you're on the right track.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 04:46
If Kaplan is freaking you out still, honestly, you should stop taking those tests. It won't help you at all to be frazzled a few days before your test! If you haven't finished all the Powerprep and Princeton Review CATS, do those - they're much closer to the real GMAT and will keep you on track.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 13:37
peterboro wrote:
If Kaplan is freaking you out still, honestly, you should stop taking those tests. It won't help you at all to be frazzled a few days before your test! If you haven't finished all the Powerprep and Princeton Review CATS, do those - they're much closer to the real GMAT and will keep you on track.

peterboro, where can I get ahold of some PR Cats?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2004, 05:03
There's one free one on their Web site, http://www.review.com, but if you buy the Cracking the GMAT book with the CD, it comes with a total of 5 tests. Amazon probably has the best price. The 2005 version is out now, so I would get that one.
  [#permalink] 17 Aug 2004, 05:03