Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Visa question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Visa question [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 18:28
Any current international students had gone through same situation ??

My 5yrs of H1B will be expiring in Aug 2009 and i will have 1 more yr remaining. I am planning to resign my job in July and attend Full time MBA program. My current employer had filed GC labor last November 2007 and its still pending. Now once i complete my MBA, since i have only 1 yr left to file my H1B and new GC ( and GC should be filed a year before i get 7th year extension on H1B) is it tough to find employer to sponsor both my h1b and GC at the time of job recruitment??

On top of all these, i did my MS here and used 3 months of CPT (for Intern) and 4 months of OPT.
Can i still apply for Intern during my MBA and use the remaining 8 months of my OPT after MBA?? Or is it like if i use it once i can't use it any more??
Current Student
Schools: Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
WE 1: 5

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 18:50
I dont know about other Qs of yours but I believe the CPT/OPT is done with whether you use it all or not.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 01:29
You shud still be able to use the remaining part of OPT.

GC might not be a problem.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 21:43
From what I've seen, certain industries are much more apt to sponsor new employees for visa and/or GCs. I had a friend who graduated from Yale last year and he had a lot of companies turn him down after finding out he didn't have work authorization. He's working in pharmaceuticals which is typically very immigration friendly (at least on the science side) but still had some of the major companies turn him down.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 04:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hi - The post MBA jobs that sponsor H1B/GC are MC and IB. Typically, the others such as GM don't. You should be able to use the rest of your OPT though.
Manager
Manager

Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 04:30
Can we initiate GC process while we are on F1??

I talked to one of the Duke Current Student regarding OPT and he told its not possible to use remaining OPT. If not used fully its lost..no new OPT at the same level of education.

Still finding out CPT issue. If i can't get CPT, i have to drop the idea of joining Duke FT program :( :(
Manager
Manager

Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 08:07
Update from Duke International Office:

I called International Office to confirm about the CPT & OPT. I was told that there will be no problem in getting new CPT even though in prior masters you have used already CPT. I was even told that as per today people are getting even new OPT (12 months). I am quite confused about the OPT part, because lots of people i have talked to told me that OPT cannot be used. :?
Current Student
Schools: Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
WE 1: 5

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 11:37
Good insight! thanks +1 for you!
mbagal2011 wrote:
Hi - The post MBA jobs that sponsor H1B/GC are MC and IB. Typically, the others such as GM don't. You should be able to use the rest of your OPT though.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visa question [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 12:55
SV6 wrote:
Update from Duke International Office:

I called International Office to confirm about the CPT & OPT. I was told that there will be no problem in getting new CPT even though in prior masters you have used already CPT. I was even told that as per today people are getting even new OPT (12 months). I am quite confused about the OPT part, because lots of people i have talked to told me that OPT cannot be used. :?

There were a few administrative changes regarding OPT in the last 1 year. So, what people went through a few years ago might no longer be valid. In this case, I would trust the International office or even better, visit USCIS website myself to research further. Also, check out immihelp.com.

SV
Re: Visa question   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2008, 12:55