Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlist advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Waitlist advice [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 13:46
Hi Paul,
Thank you so much for offering your help on this forum. I really need help with a Stanford waitlist. I'm not quite sure how to interpret their instructions- I will definitely be writing them a letter reaffirming my interest, but should I actively solicit letters from alumni, faculty, or students there?

The instructions say that, "Additional submissions are neither requested nor suggested in order to be admitted from the waitlist. If, however, someone offers to write a letter on your behalf with new information not already reflected in your application, or if you wish to update us on any recent and substantive changes or achievements, please forward the supplemental information to the MBA Admissions Office. "

Are they discouraging letters and update letters? Would a campus visit help my case- if I visit campus will they know of that?

Thank you for your help and assistance!
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Waitlist advice [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 09:04
Expert's post
thebicyclecafe,

I would characterize Stanford's policy as "Discouraging contact but ...". I would pursue a limited, high-value wait-list campaign with them. Not regular updates but periodic ones that are short and contain substantive updates. Maybe once a month. If you have no substantive updates then probably refrain from contacting them yourself. I do think you can encourage others to send notes/letters of support but you should work with them to ensure that these notes/letters *do* contain new insight--i.e., refer to experiences/achievements not discussed in the application. You should also not be indiscriminate in whom you ask to write these letters. A substantive, insight-shedding note from a Stanford alum who knows you well and is not one of your recommenders would be the ideal letter-writer.

Hope this helps.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Waitlist advice [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 08:37
Paul, thanks so much for your insight. Will any Stanford alum be a good idea, or specifically one from the GSB? I don't personally know any GSB alum but know several professors that know me well- they have PhD's in economics from stanford. Thanks again for your advice!
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Waitlist advice [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 08:03
Expert's post
Letters from any Stanford alums or profs would be helpful, if they know you well. Do not need to be from the Business School.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog