Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 18:39
Hi,

I am considering applying to the Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program. Here are my credentials:
GMAT 660
Work experience: 6 years

Based on my GMAT, do I stand a chance? Also, it looks like i have to learn a language like Spanish or English really well. Is that correct? Please let me know if I need to take the GMAT again. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
bharath
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 19:07
Hi, I'm in the same boat as you in terms of school and GMAT - applying to W/L with 660. Feedbacks from consultants all point me to retaking the GMAT with 700+ as a target.

I've confirmed with W/L adcom that in addition to exceptional English proficiency, which is a given, you need a 2nd language that you excel at but not necessary have mastered. What that means is you are required to take a verbal language proficiency exam (30 minute phone conversation) with a 3rd party vendor to assess your language proficiency. Hope that helps and good luck with the admission process.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 2404
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 10:48
Retake the GMAT if you can. The middle 80% in the past used to be 660-760, but it's creeping up to around 680-760. As such, I usually tell folks that you should have at least a 680 for your GMAT to be of no concern, and ideally above 700 to be safe.
_________________

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 May 2009
Posts: 172
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 12:47
Has anyone on this forum taken the "Oral Proficiency Interview" required by the Wharton/Lauder adcom? I would like to get a general idea of what type of questions are asked on the interview.

I'm applying to the W/L program as well, just finished my GMAT & doing my OPI sometime in Mid-August (date yet to be confirmed by LTI).
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Posts: 83
Location: Durham, NC
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 18:51
I took it for Russian last year. However, I don't think anyone will share questions with you -- that would defeat the purpose of the exam for gauging how well you can converse in the language impromptu.

I'd recommend doing the obvious things to refresh your language ability: watch TV in the target language, chat with people, read the paper aloud, etc. I didn't find it that tough to get a qualifying score.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 18:59
Never heard of "Oral Proficiency Interview" before. I thought TOEFL or IELTS (mostly for non US countries) would serve the purpose.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 May 2009
Posts: 172
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 09:33
Skitalets wrote:
I took it for Russian last year. However, I don't think anyone will share questions with you -- that would defeat the purpose of the exam for gauging how well you can converse in the language impromptu.

I'd recommend doing the obvious things to refresh your language ability: watch TV in the target language, chat with people, read the paper aloud, etc. I didn't find it that tough to get a qualifying score.


My language happens to be Russian as well! I understand you don't want to talk about specific questions, but can you talk a little about your Russian language background?

At the time of the interview, how long have you studied the language, how long have you lived in Russia/CIS (that is, if you did any overseas studies programs or worked in the region), and what was your final rating?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Posts: 83
Location: Durham, NC
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 10:04
GMATaddict wrote:
My language happens to be Russian as well! I understand you don't want to talk about specific questions, but can you talk a little about your Russian language background?

At the time of the interview, how long have you studied the language, how long have you lived in Russia/CIS (that is, if you did any overseas studies programs or worked in the region), and what was your final rating?


I studied Russian in an immersion environment in high school for two years, then in college for four. I went to Russia my sophomore year for 3.5 months outside the capitals (much better for language skills than Moscow/Piter). I read quite a bit of Russian literature in the original from sophomore year on, though I haven't kept that up since graduating.

I graduated from college five years ago and was last in Russia almost seven years ago, so my abilities were a bit rusty. I was able to get an Advanced Mid, though.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 10:06
I took it for Chinese - 30min conversation. Although I don't remember most of the questions the person asked me, the questions for me were fairly conversational: what I do, company I work for, My interests, why I am interested in the country and language, etc.. After you sign up for the language exam (30 min phone convo), you can even go to the website and listen to recordings of people at various language proficiency levels.

Be prepared to converse with a native speaker in a meaningful conversation (could be about you, the country of interest, and anything in between), and practice with a native speaker if possible. This is not an admission interview! So don’t worry about answering questions like why W/L, why now, etc.. They won’t test your knowledge about the school in a foreign language. They are only assessing your language proficiency.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 May 2009
Posts: 172
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 12:35
Skitalets wrote:
GMATaddict wrote:
My language happens to be Russian as well! I understand you don't want to talk about specific questions, but can you talk a little about your Russian language background?

At the time of the interview, how long have you studied the language, how long have you lived in Russia/CIS (that is, if you did any overseas studies programs or worked in the region), and what was your final rating?


I studied Russian in an immersion environment in high school for two years, then in college for four. I went to Russia my sophomore year for 3.5 months outside the capitals (much better for language skills than Moscow/Piter). I read quite a bit of Russian literature in the original from sophomore year on, though I haven't kept that up since graduating.

I graduated from college five years ago and was last in Russia almost seven years ago, so my abilities were a bit rusty. I was able to get an Advanced Mid, though.


What you wrote makes me a little nervous & optimistic at the same time. I did not learn Russian nearly as long as you did (2 academic years in college, one semester in Vladivostok, 8+ months working in Moscow). However, my Russian is somewhat fresh. I dislike Russian literature, but I do read news about business & politics. I also converse with my Russian friends as much as possible. Hopefully phone conversations with my Russian profs in the next 2+ weeks will get me at least an advanced low.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 May 2009
Posts: 172
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 12:43
ThrillRide wrote:
I took it for Chinese - 30min conversation. Although I don't remember most of the questions the person asked me, the questions for me were fairly conversational: what I do, company I work for, My interests, why I am interested in the country and language, etc.. After you sign up for the language exam (30 min phone convo), you can even go to the website and listen to recordings of people at various language proficiency levels.

Be prepared to converse with a native speaker in a meaningful conversation (could be about you, the country of interest, and anything in between), and practice with a native speaker if possible. This is not an admission interview! So don’t worry about answering questions like why W/L, why now, etc.. They won’t test your knowledge about the school in a foreign language. They are only assessing your language proficiency.


When you talk about the OPI audio samples, are you referring to the excerpts posted on the Lauder website? Are there any other samples on other websites (I didn't find any on LTI's or ACTFL's websites)?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 21:34
The Wharton MBA/ Lauder MA program is my dream program and I understand where you are coming from on wanting to know the format of the OPI.
I have not taken the Lauder OPI, but I can tell you a logical format from my experiences being trained in Russian at Defense Language Institute. The OPI will begin with some short banter or conversational greetings. The examiner will get a topic from this conversation and ask you about it. If you haven't performed well, the teacher will keep the conversation light, and give you a basic or intermediate level. If you haven't made and significant grammatical errors and you sound like you know what you are talking about, the examiner will probe you with more difficult questions.

Think of it as similar to the CAT test GMAT. The OPI adjusts with your abilities. In the military version, if you messed up at the beginning, you couldn't get past a certain score. You can't prepare for the specific questions because the type will change, but the relative difficulty will not.

I am not sure that the Lauder OPI is the exact same format, but I listened to the Russian Advanced recording and it seemed to me to be very similar to what we did.

Good Luck.
Re: Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2009, 21:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Wharton - Lauder: What are my chances? dcmcintosh79 2 15 Jun 2007, 15:41
New posts Wharton-Lauder Profile Evaluation beijinger22 2 04 Jan 2011, 01:37
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic *Tomorrow!* Wharton-Lauder MBA Admissions Q&A Accepted.com 0 13 May 2012, 12:46
New posts 5 MIT Sloan vs. Wharton/Lauder($) reboot duriangris 9 11 Apr 2013, 22:24
Popular new posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg with $$$ vs Wharton/Lauder MBA2016MBA 23 03 Apr 2014, 07:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Wharton Lauder MBA/MA program

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.