Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What after GMAT ? Help with profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What after GMAT ? Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 16:52
Hi guys,
I just took my GMAT and Have been reading about Post-GMAT application stuff and honestly it is over whelming.
What I get from the information that I read online is that I need to start by shortlisting the schools.
I am listing my profile below. Do you think I stand a chance at top 10 B schools in US ?

Also a lot of posts talk about over representation of Indian males at these B schools and how the admission standards are really high for them. Is there such a thing for Indian females too ?

Thanks,
AJ

Nationality: India
Sex: Female

Undergrad: Computer Engineering from a reputed college in India.
I was top of my class for first two years and 2nd for the 3rd and 4th year.

Grad: Master in Computer Science from Georgia Institute of Tech
I graduated with a 3.37 GPA but the thing that stand out for me is that I was the only one in the entire class of 2007 who did a
thesis. My thesis work was on something completely new to me and I put day and night together for two years to finish it. My advisor can vouch for that.

GMAT: 720

Work Experience
1) Bay area tech company: From June 2007 till Aug 2010
I worked in a very competitive bleeding edge technology here for 3 years.
2) Bay area tech comp: Sep 2010 till Present
I am working in networking here too.

I got promotion within my first year of work and a lot of appreciation from management.

Goals:
Short term: I want to get into a role where I wil be challenged to manage people and technology
Long Term Goal: I want to go back to my hometown and start some sort of organization to help with women education.

Passion:
-I am very passionate about running and do marathons every so often. I even run for charities and raised money for education of poor people through my running.

- I was the Leader of an organisation of new women grads at my company which helped girls to make the transition from college life to professional life, give guidance for being successful in professional life and peer networking in general.

- I have volunteered for a lot of organizations. One that stands out is a Hospice for HIV infected people. I use to volunteer there for 4 hours every week.

- When I was in college I had adopted a poor girl in Bombay and helped her through school education
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: What after GMAT ? Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 12:48
Hi there, I'm not sure what you're asking here(?). At any rate, your profile seems fairly "standard". Your grad work will not be as heavily looked at as your undergrad, but the most important thing for an international applicant is the GMAT score, which you have a very good one.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What after GMAT ? Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 16:49
What I am trying to ask is DO I stand a chance at top tier US B schools like Stanford ?
I plan to apply to Stanford, Haas, HSB but I want to know if I am being over optimistic !
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: What after GMAT ? Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 19:42
I think you have a shot, but you'll need some luck in your favor of the application. Your profile seems pretty standard and the thing is, there will be a lot of other folks like yourself, so it's about dinstinguishing yourself among the crowd. Obviously, Stanford and HBS(I think that's what you meant) will be stretches and Haas will be more doable.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: What after GMAT ? Help with profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 00:08
jain83 wrote:
Hi guys,
I just took my GMAT and Have been reading about Post-GMAT application stuff and honestly it is over whelming.
What I get from the information that I read online is that I need to start by shortlisting the schools.
I am listing my profile below. Do you think I stand a chance at top 10 B schools in US ?

Also a lot of posts talk about over representation of Indian males at these B schools and how the admission standards are really high for them. Is there such a thing for Indian females too ?

Thanks,
AJ

Nationality: India
Sex: Female

Undergrad: Computer Engineering from a reputed college in India.
I was top of my class for first two years and 2nd for the 3rd and 4th year.

Grad: Master in Computer Science from Georgia Institute of Tech
I graduated with a 3.37 GPA but the thing that stand out for me is that I was the only one in the entire class of 2007 who did a
thesis. My thesis work was on something completely new to me and I put day and night together for two years to finish it. My advisor can vouch for that.

GMAT: 720

Work Experience
1) Bay area tech company: From June 2007 till Aug 2010
I worked in a very competitive bleeding edge technology here for 3 years.
2) Bay area tech comp: Sep 2010 till Present
I am working in networking here too.

I got promotion within my first year of work and a lot of appreciation from management.

Goals:
Short term: I want to get into a role where I wil be challenged to manage people and technology
Long Term Goal: I want to go back to my hometown and start some sort of organization to help with women education.

Passion:
-I am very passionate about running and do marathons every so often. I even run for charities and raised money for education of poor people through my running.

- I was the Leader of an organisation of new women grads at my company which helped girls to make the transition from college life to professional life, give guidance for being successful in professional life and peer networking in general.

- I have volunteered for a lot of organizations. One that stands out is a Hospice for HIV infected people. I use to volunteer there for 4 hours every week.

- When I was in college I had adopted a poor girl in Bombay and helped her through school education

Hello,

Generally most of the applicants are from engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience. Plus it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there such as -what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc.
You need to make sure that your profile stands apart and all the activities at work and beyond work are highlighted in the best possible way.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: What after GMAT ? Help with profile evaluation   [#permalink] 23 May 2011, 00:08