Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What are my [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 06:35
mkbvjkjujuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Last edited by nawlins on 18 Feb 2009, 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: What are my chances to get into the following schools? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 17:25
Expert's post
nawlins wrote:
Linda,

After starting off very poorly my first two quarters at Univ. of GA (.25 GPA) because of death of father and immaturity (17 first year at college and loss of father mid way through first quarter), I took a year off and transferred to Georgia State and got my BBA majoring in Information Systems (Top 10 Undergrad IS program) while working full time to help mom with bills.

GSU GPA: 3.66 Faculty Scholar / Dean's List / Cum Laude

Overall GPA with tranfer credit: 3.14 Ouch!

Work experience: Current job listed last

96-00 4 years office manager small accounting firm

00-02 2 years managment experience with 550 mill/yr company

02-05 3 years B to B outside sales / consulting experience with excellent quantifiable results, recognition, and fast advancement selling very technical engineering / process improvement equipment to manufacturing organizations.

(Currently on leave of absence due to death of mother in July and helping with displaced family from Hurricane Katrina)

Two glowing recommendations from current and previous employers.

GMAT: 710 V:42 96% Q:44 73% (surprising Q score..very low)

Other: Habitat for Humanity volunteer (3 yrs), little league coach (2 years), volunteer every tuesday at magnet school for special needs children (3 yrs).

What are my chances at getting in to:

1. Duke

2. UNC

3. UVA

Any other schools to suggest? I live in Charlotte so Duke is first choice for location / Program in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.

Also, since I feel I have a complicated message to communicate, should I consider admissions counseling in order to position / market myself effectively?

Thank you for your time,

Ivy Barbier

Ivy,

I strongly encourage you to provide a brief explanation about your U of Georgia experience and highlight your GSU GPA separately as you did above. I think they will disregard that on year in light of your high level of achievement afterwards and the factors that contributed to the low GPA. Your quant score is a little lower than I would like to see, especially for Darden and Duke, but if you have A's in quant classes on your transcript, again, I think you can make your case. You have a chance at all 3 with UNC being the most likely admit.

I am assuming that you want to stay in the SE. If so also consider, Emory and the University of Georgia. If you are willing to go to other parts of the country, look into UCLA, Michigan, Haas and UT.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks Linda! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 18:15
I was so surprised at my low quantatative score! On all my practice tests I was consistently around a 48 with a few 50's and one 51. I don't know what happened. Data Sufficiency I suppose. My major was very quant intensive and I always got A's except for Calculus, which may hurt me with a B.

Do you think that I should take the GMAT over again?

I just hope that a rough 6 months of my life won't keep me from getting into a good program, because I've worked so hard since then!

Thanks for your time and advice. It is greatly appreciated!

Ivy
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Thanks Linda! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2008, 13:16
Expert's post
nawlins wrote:
I was so surprised at my low quantatative score! On all my practice tests I was consistently around a 48 with a few 50's and one 51. I don't know what happened. Data Sufficiency I suppose. My major was very quant intensive and I always got A's except for Calculus, which may hurt me with a B.

Do you think that I should take the GMAT over again?

I just hope that a rough 6 months of my life won't keep me from getting into a good program, because I've worked so hard since then!

Thanks for your time and advice. It is greatly appreciated!

Ivy

Your quant is surprising and it is a little lower than I would like to see. If you are confident you can raise it, then retake. If you aren't confident, then don't retake. I'm leaning more towards not retaking.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Last bumped by nawlins on 16 Oct 2008, 13:16.