Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What should i do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

What should i do? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 23:59
I have been preparing for gmat from more than last 6 months and planning to take gmat soon.
So before I make my final move ,I have some confusions
GPA:3.94 Experience:3+ years in own company (programmer and International student)
1)If I get score around 580-610 will it be impossible for me to get to some good college or university in US?(may be with some scholarship)?
(From the results of prep test that seems to be where I will land so bit worried, well average gmat scores of students from our country is not that great(lots of reasons there).
So,Will GMAT only act as decisive factor and bar us going to good US college?

2)I have heard US universities like to have diversity among the students. May we have chance from that aspect or it will be just waste of time and effort applying to big colleges?(what has been trend?)
('big college' i dont mean top 10 colleges but may be good or market reputed colleges whose product sells...)

3)Is getting very good score in quantative section alone ,doing moderate in verbal section and getting 610 better than getting 610 scoring 50% in quantative and 50% in verbal?
Do universities interpret score in that way?

4)I am planning for MBA blended with IT like MBA(IS),MBA(IT) and so on .Please suggest me some colleges with the score(if i happen to end up with it)?

5)How can I maximize my chances of getting scholarship(if any)? Should I plan for January session?
Thanks for your help…
Answers from experienced person(who have been in decisive positions) will definitely guide me a lot.
I am bit confused should I still try to make my scores better and practice or should I take exam(time after bachelor college is passing which is worrisome for me)?I think if take gmat now I will land between 580-610(i have not got higher than that in prep tests i have taken)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM '12
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: What should i do? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 07:56
I'm going to take a shot at clarifying some of your confusion, and hopefully someone who knows about issues facing international applicants can chime in with better information. A lot depends on what region you are coming from. If you're coming from India, as a computer programmer, you are not underrepresented in any way. Therefore, it will be difficult to play the diversity angle and overcome a low GMAT score. If you're applying from Estonia, and there are not many other applicants from the Baltic States, then a 610 may not prevent you from getting admitted to a good school and you could very well be in the running for a scholarship. Business schools do not give out many scholarships and it's nearly impossible to predict if you will get one. The only way to know for sure is to pick the schools that interest you, put together your best application, and see what happens. If you're dead set on doing an MBA in the United States, you might want to look at Thunderbird as a safety school. It has a good reputation for international business, requires knowledge of a second language, and your expected GMAT score should be good enough to get admitted.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: What should i do? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:45
Expert's post
Hi,

I have already posted some information that relates to your question in the thread labeled "Answers to Top Questions: Applying to B-School – Part One" under the Admissions Consultants section, so definitely take a look at that.

You can always attempt to work around a low GMAT score with various strategies. For instance, you can try one or more of the following, depending on your circumstances: highlighting things about yourself that are truly diverse and exceptional (making yourself appear as a highly talented and unique candidate--thus enticing the admissions committee to overlook the low GMAT score); applying to business schools that are less sensitive to the GMAT score; applying to specific programs that are less sensitive to the GMAT score (for instance, Columbia's January-start program is less picky about the GMAT score than Columbia's September-start program); drawing attention to other achievements that underscore your strong analytical and academic abilities; and making sure your recommendations support the idea that you have strong analytical and academic skills. These are some examples of valuable strategies (among others), and a mix of these might do the trick for you, depending on your circumstances. The fact that you have a very high GPA is useful, as that already provides something that helps to negate the notion that the GMAT is the most accurate reflection of your abilities.

Feel free to be in touch. And good luck in your admissions process!

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel Watts
http://www.mbaadmit.com
drwatts@mbaadmit.com

Why pay $3700 for assistance with 1 application? Our "Early Bird" options: $925 for 1 application (Basic Package) and a Buy-1-Get-1-Set-Free at the regular Gold Package Rate. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Dr. Shel Watts is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Manager
Manager

Re: What should i do? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 11:19
adude wrote:
I'm going to take a shot at clarifying some of your confusion, you are coming from. If you're coming from India, as a computer programmer, you are not underrepresented in any way. Therefore, it will be difficult to play the diversity angle and overcome a low GMAT score. If you're applying from Estonia,

Business schools do not give out many scholarships and it's nearly impossible to predict if you will get one. The only way to know for sure is to pick the schools that interest you, put together your best application, and see what happens. If you're dead set on doing an MBA in the United States, you might want to look at Thunderbird as a safety school. It has a good reputation for international business, requires knowledge of a second language, and your expected GMAT score should be good enough to get admitted.

well thanks
i dont come from india.Well i guess there are less than may 0.5%(that is not 50% ....or may be even less) students studying in top 10 or top 20 US colleges.Many reasons for it.So i just asked.Seems like diversity things are just for the slogans...

thanks for your recommenations
but what do you mean when you wrote "it's nearly impossible to predict if you will get one"
means it is impossible to get scholarship with my profile or do you mean that it is difficult to predict any body will get a scholarship....

ShellyLWatts wrote:
Hi,

I have already posted some information that relates to your question in the thread labeled "Answers to Top Questions: Applying to B-School – Part One" under the Admissions Consultants section, so definitely take a look at that.

You can talented and unique candidate--thus enticing the admissions depending on your circumstances. The fact that you have a very high GPA is useful, as that already provides something that helps to negate the notion that the GMAT is the most accurate reflection of your abilities.

Feel free to be in touch. And good luck in your admissions process!

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel Watts

thanks for your kind words...
i have been more technical web person but i love to be more a business person than programmer...i know many programming languages...i have just made official website of prime minister of my country ...i feel it will help me in recommendation section plus if i dont get scholarship i think GA would be great as i have been lecturer in university here for almost 2 years now....

Well,i have found my country's gmat average is around 430-440 so being in business i am not able to do better than 600-640 may be.I was university topper in bachelors with 99 percentile score but still i could not handle gamt well....problem with me is my strength is memory i can memorize a whole book which works in course matter as syllabus has limited boudary but gmat is unlimited...so i think that is problem with me....

any way thanks...
i am confused wheather i should prepare more(6 months now) or go for gmat...it has been 3 years now out of college so bit worried about it....
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM '12
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: What should i do? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 12:25
I meant it's difficult to predict if anybody will get a scholarship. They aren't always given out based on merit, so I would guess you have just as good a chance as anybody else if admitted.
Manager
Manager

Re: What should i do? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 02:42
If possible please move that to Admission Consultants section (only) not inside peer review as
it has some general questions(which is not just personal review)
i just dont want peer review but experts views

or it can be deleted so that i can post it in correct section
Re: What should i do?   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2010, 02:42