Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to take GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
When to take GMAT? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 13:43
Hello All-

I am new to GMAT Club so pardon this thread if it is in the wrong section.

I wanted to gain some insight from y'all about when I should take the GMAT. Let me tell you a little bit about myself so that you all can get a feel for my particular situation.

I am an undergraduate college senior with one more semester until graduation. I have made fairly good grades in college, but nothing stellar. I believe I will be graduating with around a 3.4 GPA.

I have a job lined up for once I graduate; I will be an investment banking analyst with a boutique IB firm. I am very strongly considering doing an MBA program after I get some work experience under my belt. I have read various articles and websites about applying to these MBA programs and all about the GMAT.

I am considering studying and taking the GMAT next semester (my final semester) of school. I just wanted to get some insight from y'all about this. I have read on another site that undergraduate GPA is not as heavily weighted as most think when it comes to MBA admissions.

I also read, however, that MBA admissions offices like to see candidates who don't expect themselves to seek further education until after they have worked for several years. In other words, they like candidates who take the GMAT after they realize that they have the need to go back to school, and thus take the GMAT after they have worked for several years, and not while they are still in college.

Is this true? Is there validity in this idea? I would appreciate any advice/thoughts from you all. Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: When to take GMAT? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 19:53
Hey IBdawg,
Its very true that International MBA need some work experience. Depending on the B School you are targeting it may vary.

For the top business schools its always better to have more than 3-4 years working experience in your bag-pack.

Considering your situation, I have a suggestion. In case you are talking about taking GMAT, your GMAT score will be valid for 5 years. So if you are in touch with GMAT type educations already, its better to get in the exam & get the good score. You can continue your professional career for 3-4 years & join in a B School after that.

I Hope this could help you

If Life's a Game, I Play it in my way

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 20

Re: When to take GMAT? [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 12:40
Hey IBDawg,

I'll second subhabrata's advice - even though schools will mostly want to see some work experience from you, they can't fault you for having had the presence of mind to take the GMAT early knowing that it's good for 5 years. If anything, I'd see it as a little bit of a positive - you were thinking ahead, knowing that you'd likely be quite busy with work and wanting to keep your options open down the road - but either way I can't fathom a school downplaying your high GMAT score 4 years from now, saying to themselves "he planned too far in advance, we were hoping he'd be more spontaneous with his decision". Your score is valid for 5 years, and that's about it...they won't dig too deeply into the timeline to give it higher or lower value than the number itself.

Now, on the plus side, if you take the GMAT while you're used to studying and using many of those core skills you'll probably have a much easier time posting a high score than you might after a few years in the workplace with less free time and more specialized professional tasks that might diverge from GMAT and study skills. I took the GMAT within a few months of graduation from college, and feel that the timing was instrumental in my success - I was used to taking tests for multiple hours, making decisions using logic and numbers, etc. So I'd highly recommend taking the test while you're young and in the habit!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: When to take GMAT?   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2010, 12:40