Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which math classes should I take?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Which math classes should I take? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 18:19
Alright, I need some serious help with my quant abilities. I aced College Algebra my first semester of college, three years ago, then tried as hard as I could to foget it all. Over the last few years I've decided I'd like to go to graduate school and have been studying, but I'm getting my butt kicked. I graduate in December, giving me summer and fall terms to get my stuff together in order to take the GMAT in preparation for graduate school at the end of 2013.

There are no tutors around here for GMAT (if there were, I couldn't afford them), my school offers nothing for business students, the university learning center won't help me because it's not for a class. Only option I can figure is to go on to a few more math classes.

Which classes should I take? I could probably squeeze two, maybe three classes into my schedule. I never realized how many different types of math there are and don't want to get into something that isn't going to apply towards my degree or the GMAT.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 114

Re: Which math classes should I take? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 19:59
The problem you will face is that the GMAT does not have any math that would be strictly considered "College" level math. In fact, most of the math is highschool or lower, and that is one of the toughest parts. This test is the advanced applications of low level math. The test won't have calculus on it, and the hardest concept is probably statistics. Instead of taking math classes at your college for the GMAT, I would recommend spending time outside of school studying strictly "GMAT math". It is a whole different beast, and will not come inside of any college level class. Look into the Quant forum on GMATclub and see the books that are out there, but the best in my opinion come from Manhattan GMAT. There are 8 guides in total, and 5 of them deal with EVERY POSSIBLE math concept you could come accross on the test.

Instead, I would focus your time at school taking a couple math classes that will beaf up your application when you do decide to apply. The two best classes will be calculus, and statistics. If they offer either of these classes with a "business" spin then that's even better (aka. "statistics or business decision making" or "business calculus" or "managerial xyz" etc...). You just have to make sure that you get an A in this class, and if you think you will get anything lower than a B or B+ I don't even know if I would take them at all. I would work to get a Q48 or higher on GMAT quant to prove your quant ability.

Everything you need to know is out there, but your college isn't going to teach you GMAT math. Good luck to you, and look around GMAT club. If you could soak in every piece of information on this site, you could easily score into the 99%. Easier said than done :)

PS. If you take statistics, you might even use a few concepts on test day! I had 2 stats questions on my test... you really only get them if you're doing well on test day, so lets hope you get a lot!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Which math classes should I take? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 09:41
Thanks for the help. I've got an A in statistics, but that was a few years ago. I frequent the quantitative section of this board, but it too often looks like Greek. In the areas that I'm good, I'm real solid. I've either got it down pat, or not at all. I would like to take a Kaplan, Veritas or Manhattan course, but I'm flat broke and running on fumes.

I was looking over the catalog last night and ran across something called "Finite Math". It sounded a lot like what is on the GMAT. Are you familiar? Is that relative?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2138 [0], given: 31

Re: Which math classes should I take? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 13:13
Expert's post
Hi, there. I'm going to add my 2-cents to this discussion. :)

I would say --- no college math class is exactly a good fit for GMAT math. Instead, I would recommend checking out Magoosh. We have 200+ GMAT lesson videos, including videos explaining all the math content and math strategy you will need for the GMAT. We also have 800+ GMAT practice questions, each with its own video explanation. All this, for about the price of a course at a community college.

You can our testimonials here:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/testimonials

Here's a sample Math strategy lesson:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/334-lis ... d-counting

Here's a sample math question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/988

Whether you sign up for Magoosh or not, you may find our free blog helpful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/

Good luck with your prep, and let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Re: Which math classes should I take? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 13:25
How much is it? When I say I'm broke, I'm not kidding. I haven't found any programs that are uner $500 and that's way more than I could afford.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2138 [0], given: 31

Re: Which math classes should I take? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 13:49
Expert's post
Dear Stoneface

As you'll see if you click on the Magoosh banner in my signature, the math course alone is about $150, and the "premium" (math + verbal) is $200. I don't know what you're situation is, and whether either of those are affordable, but frankly, I don't think you're going to find GMAT prep at this level of quality for any less money. Magoosh is about as rock-bottom cheap as high-quality GMAT prep gets.

Best of luck to you. Even if you can't afford Magoosh, do check out the free blog (http://magoosh.com/gmat/), and feel free to shoot me a pm with any math questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Which math classes should I take?   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2012, 13:49