Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why MBA ?????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
67 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 414 [67] , given: 56

Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Edit: This thread has retired. Please move to why-mba-147141.html

Why MBA - that’s the biggest question for all MBA applicants.

While working on my applications I encountered this question several times. Each time I had a better explanation but still not fully satisfied with my answers somewhere in the back of my mind. The AdComs generally doesn't like a candidate who is not clear about the answer to this question, and that’s justified. Once a candidate starts with the MBA, he/she may not have enough time to change the decision. Like me there would be many other applicants, so I thought if my findings and your feedback could help us all :)

Here I'm not going to answer why MBA is required. The reason would be different from person to person. I have listed a few questions for self-evaluation and I can promise, that by end of this note you would have an answer to convince the AdCom :P
My apologies, but in this post I would be taking example of "Management Consultancy in IT" (one of the hottest job profile today) to justify my points.

So get a pen and paper and start answering all the questions one by one. For some of the questions you may need decent amount of time and research.

Step 1:
Apart from the huge salary packages :evil: , what is the main reason for you. It could typically be:
1. Switching career to some other Industry or function
2. Starting ones own business
3. Progressing to a higher responsibility in the same industry or function

Step 2:
Now once you have answered the above question, take some time and evaluate
1. Which Industry, role and country you are aiming for.
I take an example of "Management Consultant in the field of IT in India".

2. What are your target companies.
Be clear about this. AdCom may want to understand what kind of companies you are targeting. It should not be list of 100 best IT companies listed on NSE, rather a genuine answer would be a target for 3-4 companies. Also, be realistic and don't try to list top companies like Mckinsey or Booz unless you can justify that.

3. What the new role means.
If I'm saying Management Consultancy in IT field, I should be clear about what this role means and what would be the kind of responsibilities. A typical IT management consultant would be doing:
  • Selling (identifying prospective clients etc)
  • Research (Gathering requirements, interviewing clients, evaluating existing solutions etc)
  • Analysis (Gathering data and information)
  • Reporting (preparing proposals, recommendation to client etc)
  • Implementation (project management, documenting team work, IT implementation etc)
  • Administration (Expense report, time tracking)

Step 3:
Now one need to evaluate himself to answer the big question of why the above role and industry
1. Where do you stand today.
I'm already working as an IT consultant for last XX years and have successfully implemented XX projects at various client locations. I have worked close with client and have displayed some of the qualities required by a IT consultant.

2. What kind of role you are looking for in the future.
I'm looking for a role of Management Consultancy, continuing in the same IT field but with a higher responsibility (Can use some crap from 3rd question in Step 2 :P )

3. What skills you already posses and what new skills are required.
A typical way to answer this question would to list all the skills generally required for Management Consultancy and rank myself:
Technical knowledge - strong
Analytical skills - strong
Client skills - basic
Leadership skills - basic
Business skills - Nil
Management skills - Nil
Communication skills - good
Relationship skills - basic

4. The skills, which hindered your performance in the past, MBA can add.
In my past role, there have been various responsibilities I couldn't take because of lack of a particular skill or knowledge of some tools. A simple way to answer this question would be to compare ones skill-set with the skill-set of a role (may be a senior manager) where he see himself after MBA. Example - I lack knowledge in Pricing concepts, Financial analysis, Business strategy, Project Management, Negotiation skills etc etc etc.

5. What have you done so far to prove that you are moving towards your career goal.
I have moved from IT Product based company to IT services based company due to this reason. A list of trainings or programs I attended to add a skillset like client negotiation, Project Management etc. I have chosen to work for a client-site role. The list goes on.

Step 4:
An MBA can just lay a foundation for your career goals, but certainly cannot assure to achieve that goal. In most of the cases, one can still achieve his/her goals even without MBA. Don't forget only 38% of the CEOs in US have an MBA degree. So the most important question
1. If not MBA then what?
Surely, MBA is not the end of life. If not MBA, then also I would like to achieve my career goal of IT management consultancy. The way would surely be unorganized and time consuming. A typical example would be attending trainings, gaining experience from current role, reading articles and business publications, and choosing a mentor with the role I'm targeting.

Having said that, I would say MBA is just a means to achieve my goals, a bundled package which would provide me with the skill-set required to accelerate towards the career goal.

Step 5:
To justify ones long-term goals, he need to understand what a typical career path would be starting from the responsibility he is looking immediately after MBA.
1. What is the career progression from the immediate goals?
If I start as a Management Consultant in IT, a typical career progression would be:
Associate consultant > Senior consultant > Team lead > Manager > Senior Manager > Associate Partner > Senior Partner > Vice-president > President >
and so on

Step 6:
Last, but not the least. If one has chosen a career goal, he should be aware of the future trends and opportunities in the particular field. After all, there may not be a sense to choose a career which doesn't have much of future demands.
1. What are the future prospects of the career goal chosen?
For a management consultant in IT, some facts and figures regarding the future demands. For Example, in India IT services industry net revenue for 2008-09 is $58 billion, supposed to be doubled by 2012 and estimated to be $225 billion by 2020. Brief of few prominent projects and government initiatives would also be helpful.

By end of Step 4, one would already have a good reason for why MBA. Step 5 and 6 would strengthen the reason and help in getting a more convincing answer if one has chosen a right path for him/her.

Suggestions and comments are welcome. Please let me know, if you think there could be some more self-evaluation questions which we can added in the above list. And most important, please correct me if you disagree with any of my answers above, so that I can strengthen my case :) .

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 414 [4] , given: 56

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
Moss wrote:
The toughest thing for me is finding identifiable gaps in my current skill set, and how an MBA will fill those gaps. Describing this is a tough balance, because basically all other parts of your essays, resume, application, etc, are spent talking about how great and terrific you are, which then has to be contrasted by showing weaknesses that an MBA will alleviate.

Its different than the "what is your greatest weakness" questions, which you can usually BS into coming out looking like a strength -- you must legitimately show how an MBA will help your career, and why you cannot do without.

I agree. In my case, I did some research on internet, trying to identify what are the variety of roles an IT Management consultant would do and the list of skills required. Also, I talked to my seniors who were already into this role. Now I had a list of skill-set required and another list of responsibilities of a typical IT Management consultant.

From list 1 of skill-set, I rated myself on each skills (e.g. good knowledge, basic knowledge, no knowledge etc). From the responsibilities list I marked those I'm already doing and those I'm not able to do coz of lack of knowledge. E.g. I cannot create proposals for clients coz of lack of knowledge in pricing, negotiations, competition, market trend etc.

Having said that, once this list was there it was very easy to identify some of the skills which MBA can provide.

Remember, probably you or me cannot identify all the gaps else we would have created our own customized MBA program and acquire knowledge through books / articles/ training etc on the required skills. So for all identified and unidentified gaps I'm going to people who are expert on this, i.e. the B-Scools :)

All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [4] , given: 0

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
This is really gr8 work bigoyal.. :)

how do you also take into account follwing cases:

1. Bored with the same technical job in IT and the job up the ladder is nothing but word/excel/ppt oriented.
2. Hold only a bachelors degree and a stunning career path can be taken only through a stunning masters degree..

obviously, B-schools don;t want the escapist or stamp-paper seekers but I am sure this is the story of most guys Indian/IT/Male.. so, hw do we address that.. ?

Further, I observe that the entrepreneurial bug seems to be hitting a majority and many folks want to start something of their own but not in immediate future.. one school of thought is to get your base in place, nurture an idea, build upon it, shore up some investment and then jump into it.. roughly a period of 10 years.. how does one builds up on this ?

-Unstoppable force moves immovable objects...-

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [3] , given: 63

Premium Member
Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
The toughest thing for me is finding identifiable gaps in my current skill set, and how an MBA will fill those gaps. Describing this is a tough balance, because basically all other parts of your essays, resume, application, etc, are spent talking about how great and terrific you are, which then has to be contrasted by showing weaknesses that an MBA will alleviate.

Its different than the "what is your greatest weakness" questions, which you can usually BS into coming out looking like a strength -- you must legitimately show how an MBA will help your career, and why you cannot do without.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 414 [3] , given: 56

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 02:06
This post received
KUDOS
Amit05 wrote:
This is really gr8 work bigoyal.. :)

how do you also take into account follwing cases:

1. Bored with the same technical job in IT and the job up the ladder is nothing but word/excel/ppt oriented.
2. Hold only a bachelors degree and a stunning career path can be taken only through a stunning masters degree..

Thanks a lot. So, do you mean career switching? Btw, why would you say that "stunning career path can be taken only through a stunning masters degree." I'm against the word "only" coz one can never say that the masters degree is the only way for your career path. An MBA would just provide a base and help you achieve your goal faster, thats it.

Now, if you say "only" to adcom, they are surely gonna ask you your reasons. In my interview with ISB, I gave them example of couple of skill-sets which I was looking from MBA. The adcom took one of these and started grilling me saying I can get this skill-set from books, journals or trainings :P

Thats very true, I can surely get the skills without MBA. I cannot tell them that the hefty package or stunning career is my reasons for MBA :oops: . So still sticking with my step-by-step analysis, I was pretty much able to convince them what I'm looking for.

Regarding entrepreneurial stuff, I think my step-by-step analysis may not fit pretty well. But surely it will provide some direction for doing further analysis on one's reasons.

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 2

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Bigoyal the question Why MBA and Long Term Career Goals are the ones which should be handled from the word go. These questions require a lot of introspection and can make or break your B School Application that said here are my two cents to the discussion

1. In addition to whatever Bigoyal has mentioned the essays should also have a wow factor, this can be done through an example of a work situation that you want to be in post MBA. Jetting around countries solving Business problems for different companies. Make it stand out!

2. About the weaknesses which you want to address through MBA one should always give examples from real life experiences and you can even mention the name of courses on offer which would rectify these weaknesses

3. In addition to mention the position, work stream, companies one can also mention the area and then justify these choices as well

That's all from me as of now, will keep adding as I go through the process

ATB :)

GMAT 720(94%) (Q 49(87%) V 39(87%))

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 414 [2] , given: 56

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 22:03
This post received
KUDOS
Rook wrote:
Nice.

Thanks for the post :) Think you covered the bases pretty well, although the emphasis and procedure will vary from person to person.

Thanks, yeah I agree. Specially in case someone looking for starting his/her own business the above self-evaluation may not work.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 3

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 18:05
This post received
KUDOS
This was definitely the most difficult question for me to answer as well as I wanted to be sure that I was being honest with myself and NOT just writing what I think an adcom would want to hear. I cannot stress this enough. I would tell any potential applicants to sit down and think about this before spending your time (lots and lots of time spent studying, researching, writing, etc. :P ) and money pursuing this goal.

I think it's important to shed some light on both your short term (1-5 years) AND long term goals (6+) as hopefully the MBA will play a pivotal role in both. It definitely does in my case.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 414 [2] , given: 56

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
raven678 wrote:
Great post. I am an onsite TL and have a similar profile. But i am looking for a general management degree. I didnt want to do finance or banking or start my own company. So that left me with little options. I just want understand business better. And full time mba is regarded better than a postal/online course so i would prefer it. And it would be for career progression. so i am not sure how i could go about justifying it. Any ideas?

Believe me raven678, try to answer all those questions mentioned in the post (considering your career goals), note down your answers in a notebook and at the end you'll surely have lot of things to justify yourself.

2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 987 [2] , given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
This is the most important question to be answered. If we fail to explain properly the reason for pursuing MBA, I m sure adcoms will reject the application.

Great post Bigoyal. +1

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 21

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
Wonderful post, Bigoyal. Answering these questions with thorough introspection would be a big help.

Few questions on long term goals and how does MBA & short term goal help to achive them, would make the story better, I guess. What is your take on this.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9421 [2] , given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 21:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tryinghard wrote:
Guys, need some urgent advice. The reason i want to do an MBA is a reactive rather than proactive, i.e. I am I have 8 years of exp the reason I want to do an MBA is because I am noticing a shift in the needs of companies in my industry. Well such concepts were always there but its with the availability of the right technology and some new needs that companies have started adopting the age old advice. I could have been proactive but I waited for 8 years to see the shift and then decided to get an MBA.

Will this be frowned upon.

What you want to paint is that you not only deserve an MBA but the Ad Com will feel guilty if they don't admit you. Write your story and ask that question. This of course applies only to the Top 20. If you are applying to lower tier schools, you will be valuable to them in most situations, and esp if you get a 700 GMAT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9421 [1] , given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Kudos - thank you for starting this topic!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
Nice.

Thanks for the post :) Think you covered the bases pretty well, although the emphasis and procedure will vary from person to person.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
thanks for addressing this. It's a tough topic to get a handle on.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 19:00
This post received
KUDOS
Great post. I am an onsite TL and have a similar profile. But i am looking for a general management degree. I didnt want to do finance or banking or start my own company. So that left me with little options. I just want understand business better. And full time mba is regarded better than a postal/online course so i would prefer it. And it would be for career progression. so i am not sure how i could go about justifying it. Any ideas?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 3

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
Bigoyal, truly amazing.. I wish there was a -- 'Bigoyal's Guide to MBA Applications' available and I could lay my hands on it for preparing some real good applications for myself.

Keep up the Good Work!!

-Abhi
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 56

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks a lot crackfire2003. I fully agree with you. The wow factor is really important to impress the adcom.
Thanks a lot Abhi for appreciating the post.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 295

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
Great post!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern