Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will my work exp be enough?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Will my work exp be enough? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 03:03
Just trying to determine the odds of getting into a top 15 MBA program down the road, so bare with me as I lay out this futurish hypo:

Male
White
Poli Sci/History from top public: 3.7gpa
no GMAT yet. Lets assume I get a competitive score.
WE:
Infantry Officer in the National Guard
-Part time Platoon leader while state side
-One year long combat deployment to Afghanistan on a Advisory Team.
-Back to part time role, only now on a Company level.

While this work exp. suffice or do I need something in the civilian sector?

Thank you for your advice.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will my work exp be enough? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 05:49
Absolutely - any military experience is extremely valued in the eyes of MBA admissions officers.
In fact, every military person I have worked with has over-delivered on their final results, with a very high proportion ending up at Top 5 programs.
Thus, not only would I encourage you to apply, I would encourage you to shoot high.
Lastly, do not think your experience is anything less than (extremely) valued and shows great personal and professional experience and potential.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Will my work exp be enough? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 06:27
Adcoms love stories about leadership and teamwork. I'm sure you will have lots of stories on those topics from your background, so I don't think you need civilian experience to enhance your candidacy.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Will my work exp be enough? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 08:02
That is very encouraging. But I just want to maybe better elaborate my concerns.

From my limited time spent browsing the forums its seems that most schools want at least 2 year of full time work exp. post UG. In my situation I will only have about 15 months of full time active duty service as a result of the mobilization. Now this The rest of my time in the Guard (about 2-3 years) is going to be made up of part time service and extended periods of training.

Is this something that will hurt me?

I would like to get a full time civilian job now, however the train up, deployment, and follow on schools that I will be doing after the deployment end up greatly fragmenting my time. Finding employment outside of another part time position under these circumstance will be difficult.

I guess I am hoping that the quality of my experience outweighs any issues of time. Which should be the case given the fact that I have a very important role in the mission that is actually completely different from what I trained for and is supposed to be done by someone that is much more senior than me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Will my work exp be enough? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 11:28
You have great experience from your military service. I would not be concerned about your military experience if I were you. However, gaining additional civilian/corporate experience will never hurt your chances.

You are still young and are below the average age for most MBA programs. Gain some of civilian experience and you will be a great MBA candidate. Best of luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Re: Will my work exp be enough?   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2012, 11:28