Welcome to GMATclub! You have come to the right place to start your admissions/GMAT journey.
I would love to give you an excellent answer, but it's tough to know b/c we don't know the rest of your story. You left out a lot of information: How have you worked full time while going to college? Did you go to college? What college? GMAT score? What schools are you targeting? What kind of account management, what company? etc...
Generally, working for the family business is not a very presitigious position, and will probably not be looked favorably upon by top 15 schools. That being said, you do have a fair amount of work experience, and you may have a GREAT story. Work experience is only 1 factor of many factors (GMAT, Letters of Rec, Essays, GPA, Undergrad School, Work Experience, Resume, Extra Curriculars, etc) so you can't count someone in or out from schools based on 1 of these many factors. My advice is to look around, learn about the schools, and start seeing if you fit the class profile for the schools of your choice. If you do, then great! Start the process of GMAT and applications. If not, great, start bettering yourself to get yourself in-line, or readjust your school expectations.
Here at the GMAT club there is a wealth of knowledge, and I encourage you (and all of our visitors) to jump right in an soak it all in. It can take awhile, but if an MBA is what you want, you should immerse yourself in all the information you can find. Best of luck!
Thanks for taking the time to respond GMATLA. I'm very new here and trying to get a hold of things, so I appreciate your patience!
Please allow me fill in that information I left out.Basics
- I have worked 40 hours/ week since my senior year of high school
- Concurrently attended college courses
- I am a senior at Florida International University double majoring in Intnl Business and FinancePast Work Experience
- Account Representative at Miami International Transit
- Oversaw import, order preparation, distribution, and export of products
- Products include Fresh Fish from global leaders in the respective categories
- Oversaw all account representatives dealing with perishable goods
- Assisted in Operations management strategy
- 3 years
Reason for leaving: Upper management could not come to terms with clients upon contract renewal. Massive downsize of the firm. Was offered a different position, but chose to move on.Current Work Experience
- Was offered employment by industry competitors of my last employer, but chose to become involved in family business.
- Responsible for a variety of functions: Marketing, Sales, Production, Customer Relations, Strategic Planning, Financial Management, etc.
- 3 years and ongoing
- Small company (Pro Photography Studio) | 5 Employee'sSchool's I'm targeting and why
- School's in the top 15
- Why school's in the top 15?
- I have always been one to destroy any challenge that stands before me. The top 15 school's have shown to produce top quality business leaders of tomorrow who have little difficulty finding employment post-graduation. In addition, top 15 school's are very selective about admissions, increasing the odds to associate with cutting edge individuals.
Sorry for the long post, but the main theme behind my post is that I will do what I must to be where I want to be. If I may be better in line with what a top b-school is looking for by changing my current employment status, then it shall be done.