Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Work Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Work Experience [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:44
Hey guys, I am a new member here and glad to be part of the gmatclub family!

I have a question in regards to work experience. I am currently 24 and have been employed Full time since 18. I attended school concurrently throughout this time. My experience is as follows:

3 Years Account Management in a Logistics Management Company
3 Years (and counting) fulfilling various roles in the family business (photography studio)

Would this work experience be suitable for most top tier b-schools? I was considering leaving the family business and possibly work as a personal banker for 2 years prior to applying.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 114

Re: Work Experience [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:51
Welcome to GMATclub! You have come to the right place to start your admissions/GMAT journey.

I would love to give you an excellent answer, but it's tough to know b/c we don't know the rest of your story. You left out a lot of information: How have you worked full time while going to college? Did you go to college? What college? GMAT score? What schools are you targeting? What kind of account management, what company? etc...

Generally, working for the family business is not a very presitigious position, and will probably not be looked favorably upon by top 15 schools. That being said, you do have a fair amount of work experience, and you may have a GREAT story. Work experience is only 1 factor of many factors (GMAT, Letters of Rec, Essays, GPA, Undergrad School, Work Experience, Resume, Extra Curriculars, etc) so you can't count someone in or out from schools based on 1 of these many factors. My advice is to look around, learn about the schools, and start seeing if you fit the class profile for the schools of your choice. If you do, then great! Start the process of GMAT and applications. If not, great, start bettering yourself to get yourself in-line, or readjust your school expectations.

Here at the GMAT club there is a wealth of knowledge, and I encourage you (and all of our visitors) to jump right in an soak it all in. It can take awhile, but if an MBA is what you want, you should immerse yourself in all the information you can find. Best of luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Work Experience [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 10:09
GMATLA wrote:
Welcome to GMATclub! You have come to the right place to start your admissions/GMAT journey.

I would love to give you an excellent answer, but it's tough to know b/c we don't know the rest of your story. You left out a lot of information: How have you worked full time while going to college? Did you go to college? What college? GMAT score? What schools are you targeting? What kind of account management, what company? etc...

Generally, working for the family business is not a very presitigious position, and will probably not be looked favorably upon by top 15 schools. That being said, you do have a fair amount of work experience, and you may have a GREAT story. Work experience is only 1 factor of many factors (GMAT, Letters of Rec, Essays, GPA, Undergrad School, Work Experience, Resume, Extra Curriculars, etc) so you can't count someone in or out from schools based on 1 of these many factors. My advice is to look around, learn about the schools, and start seeing if you fit the class profile for the schools of your choice. If you do, then great! Start the process of GMAT and applications. If not, great, start bettering yourself to get yourself in-line, or readjust your school expectations.

Here at the GMAT club there is a wealth of knowledge, and I encourage you (and all of our visitors) to jump right in an soak it all in. It can take awhile, but if an MBA is what you want, you should immerse yourself in all the information you can find. Best of luck!

Thanks for taking the time to respond GMATLA. I'm very new here and trying to get a hold of things, so I appreciate your patience!

Please allow me fill in that information I left out.

Basics
- I have worked 40 hours/ week since my senior year of high school
- Concurrently attended college courses
- I am a senior at Florida International University double majoring in Intnl Business and Finance

Past Work Experience
- Account Representative at Miami International Transit
- Oversaw import, order preparation, distribution, and export of products
- Products include Fresh Fish from global leaders in the respective categories
- Oversaw all account representatives dealing with perishable goods
- Assisted in Operations management strategy
- 3 years

Reason for leaving: Upper management could not come to terms with clients upon contract renewal. Massive downsize of the firm. Was offered a different position, but chose to move on.

Current Work Experience
- Was offered employment by industry competitors of my last employer, but chose to become involved in family business.
- Responsible for a variety of functions: Marketing, Sales, Production, Customer Relations, Strategic Planning, Financial Management, etc.
- 3 years and ongoing
- Small company (Pro Photography Studio) | 5 Employee's

School's I'm targeting and why
- School's in the top 15
- Why school's in the top 15?
- I have always been one to destroy any challenge that stands before me. The top 15 school's have shown to produce top quality business leaders of tomorrow who have little difficulty finding employment post-graduation. In addition, top 15 school's are very selective about admissions, increasing the odds to associate with cutting edge individuals.

Sorry for the long post, but the main theme behind my post is that I will do what I must to be where I want to be. If I may be better in line with what a top b-school is looking for by changing my current employment status, then it shall be done.

Thanks again!
Re: Work Experience   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2012, 10:09