Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Work experience vs. age

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Work experience vs. age [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 13:27
Hello,

I have a question and would really appreciate your feedback. I read your evaluations for other people and think that you provide people with beautiful insights (youtube videos included :) ). Here is some information about me so you can get a better picture. The topic is about my work experience at my age by the time I apply.

I have graduated in May 2011 and recently started working as an analyst for convertible bonds at a start-up company that is based in London but the analysts are based in Serbia. I am 24 years old and by the time I apply I will be 25-26 (b-day in October). I have noticed that I graduated a little bit older compared to most people. So by the time I apply in Fall of 2013, I will have only around 20 months of work experience. I got all nervous because all of a sudden I feel much older than many candidates and would have probably less experience than the competition. I am not sure how the adcom would look at that. I fear that my circumstances could significantly reduce my chances and bring everything to doubt whether I would be good enough of a candidate. I would like to apply at the top MBA programs in US.

I assume that important factor would be what I did in college. I got an athletic scholarship (rowing) at a liberal arts college (nothing fancy). I graduated with GPA of 3.6 overall and 3.7 in business - finance concentration and accounting minor. I was involved in student government as a senator for two years, chaired budged and finance committee for two years (got an award for the best chair in the student government), gone through leadership training program for 2 years, did some volunteering (food harvest for the poor; participated and won a fundraiser show at my school that distributed funds to Special Olympics organization; Big Brother) and was Freshman orientation leader. In rowing, I am the most successful rower of the program with 4/4 gold medals at our major competition (kind of D-II national championship) and will be nominated for the university's Hall of Fame in 2016. I was also a team captain in my Senior year. I have a bronze medal at Junior World rowing championship and a silver medal at European Championship for students. Finally, I have awards like Cum Laude, Dean's List, honor societies and I speak Serbo-Croatian, English and French fluently and know some basic German (lived in Germany during high school for 2 years).

I am studying for GMAT right now and things are going well.

I feel I worked really hard in college and would be devastated to know that the whole experience-and-age thing could hurt me a lot. I am aware that a lot will depend on what I do at work, as well as in application essays. Do I have a shot? I can accept the truth.

Sorry for the dense post and thank you for your time.

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Work experience vs. age [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 04:52
Expert's post
Laker7 wrote:
Hello,

I have a question and would really appreciate your feedback. I read your evaluations for other people and think that you provide people with beautiful insights (youtube videos included :) ). Here is some information about me so you can get a better picture. The topic is about my work experience at my age by the time I apply.

I have graduated in May 2011 and recently started working as an analyst for convertible bonds at a start-up company that is based in London but the analysts are based in Serbia. I am 24 years old and by the time I apply I will be 25-26 (b-day in October). I have noticed that I graduated a little bit older compared to most people. So by the time I apply in Fall of 2013, I will have only around 20 months of work experience. I got all nervous because all of a sudden I feel much older than many candidates and would have probably less experience than the competition. I am not sure how the adcom would look at that. I fear that my circumstances could significantly reduce my chances and bring everything to doubt whether I would be good enough of a candidate. I would like to apply at the top MBA programs in US.

I assume that important factor would be what I did in college. I got an athletic scholarship (rowing) at a liberal arts college (nothing fancy). I graduated with GPA of 3.6 overall and 3.7 in business - finance concentration and accounting minor. I was involved in student government as a senator for two years, chaired budged and finance committee for two years (got an award for the best chair in the student government), gone through leadership training program for 2 years, did some volunteering (food harvest for the poor; participated and won a fundraiser show at my school that distributed funds to Special Olympics organization; Big Brother) and was Freshman orientation leader. In rowing, I am the most successful rower of the program with 4/4 gold medals at our major competition (kind of D-II national championship) and will be nominated for the university's Hall of Fame in 2016. I was also a team captain in my Senior year. I have a bronze medal at Junior World rowing championship and a silver medal at European Championship for students. Finally, I have awards like Cum Laude, Dean's List, honor societies and I speak Serbo-Croatian, English and French fluently and know some basic German (lived in Germany during high school for 2 years).

I am studying for GMAT right now and things are going well.

I feel I worked really hard in college and would be devastated to know that the whole experience-and-age thing could hurt me a lot. I am aware that a lot will depend on what I do at work, as well as in application essays. Do I have a shot? I can accept the truth.

Sorry for the dense post and thank you for your time.

Yes, you worked hard and have significant accomplishments under your belt to prove it. No, your age at 26 will not be detrimental to your application: age does not typically become a weakness until 29 or 30 years old and over. Hold your head high and share your experiences in your application essays: they will sell themselves.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Work experience vs. age [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 11:36
Great, thanks a lot for your time :)

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Work experience vs. age [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 12:06
Expert's post
Laker7 wrote:
Great, thanks a lot for your time :)

You're welcome! Since you are well in advance of applying, this timeline may be helpful for you to begin planning your applications.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog