Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Working part-time while going to school full-time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Working part-time while going to school full-time [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 20:49
Hi All,

I was wondering if any current or former MBA students could provide some thoughts on working part-time while going to school full-time. Is it possible to work 10 - 15 hours per week? Obviously, I'm sure almost everyone would prefer to just go to school full-time, but the idea of making a few thousand dollars a month to minimize debt is very appealing to me. Is it doable? Or, is it something that you absolutely should not do?

There is one thread that exists here: working-while-doing-a-full-time-mba-94156.html. I just wanted to get some additional thoughts.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Working part-time while going to school full-time [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 04:29
nosnib wrote:
Hi All,

I was wondering if any current or former MBA students could provide some thoughts on working part-time while going to school full-time. Is it possible to work 10 - 15 hours per week? Obviously, I'm sure almost everyone would prefer to just go to school full-time, but the idea of making a few thousand dollars a month to minimize debt is very appealing to me. Is it doable? Or, is it something that you absolutely should not do?

There is one thread that exists here: working-while-doing-a-full-time-mba-94156.html. I just wanted to get some additional thoughts.

Is it realistic to think you could make a few thousand dollars per month only working 10-15 hours per week? That would mean you're effectively receiving a prorated salary of 120,000-145,000, which seems pretty optimistic to me.

I'm not sure how it is at other schools, but Sloan seems to encourage its students to TA, which yields sizable tuition waivers. You may want to look into that at Ross/Anderson.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Working part-time while going to school full-time [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 05:56
While at Wharton I knew of a few students who did this -- and did it very effectively. Most MBA candidates have skills that companies value so many are willing to work around your schedule. I also know that many were paid quite well. As for me. I worked full time in admissions while I took a slightly reduced course load. I am not going to say it was easy as I dedicated myself fully to both endeavors. This did not leave much room for socializing, but I did graduate with no debt.

Just be aware that the first semester of school is very difficult and time consuming -- so you might want to think about dedicating yourself fully to school during this short time period.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [1] , given: 0

Re: Working part-time while going to school full-time [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
nosnib wrote:
Hi All,

Unless you are in dire need of the money, I wouldn't do it. Having done it myself (worked for a VC-backed portfolio company for one semester), it's not worth it. For many of us, we go back to b-school to get *away* from work, and to focus solely on the b-school experience. Working on the side can be enough of a distraction, taking time away from the b-school experience which you're paying so much for. In b-school, your time is more valuable than money, because you're faced with way more activities than you have time to commit to, and you want to prioritize accordingly.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Working part-time while going to school full-time   [#permalink] 28 May 2013, 10:50