Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Would really appreciate your feedback. [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 19:58
Hello Alex,

Been a member here for a while now and have read a lot of your post thoroughly and first want to thank you for all the great information you have provided onto this site.

If you get a moment, could you please share your input on my profile and provide any feedback, I would greatly appreciate the help.

25, Male, Asian-American
GMAT: 700
English (Main language), Korean (Proficient)
B.S. Chemical Engineering
Passed Fundamentals Engineering Exam

Experience 3-on years and an internship
1. Internship at a top 10 private US engineering firm - Nuclear Industry project, Client Department of Energy
2. 3 - On yrs at a F500 chemical manufacturing/process company (operations):
    a. First two years of my experience here has been a wide range of tasks. Essentially, allocated to a set of chemical plants performing daily process optimizations and cost savings projects (totaling >$1M). Also, any day to day technical support for operations to maintain on-stream of plants.
    b. Next two years have a lot of the first two years tasks but with the addition of multiple capital projects (totaling >$1M), from concept development through scope definition, detailed engineering, construction, and startup. This includes, managing projects with engineering, vendors, contractors, and other counterparts. Also, mentored handful of university students and now full time engineer.

Also, I am on a chemical safety task group that plans a chemical safety seminar for the chemical we produce.

Extracurricular activities:
• Volunteer programs to mentor elementary students, Habitat for Humanity, Member/volunteer at Presbyterian Church
• Competitive soccer player/referee/coach in the NTSSA/GLSA
• Formed team & placed first in the Industrial Basketball League
• Formed team & competed in the Trap & Skeet League
• Lived and worked on west coast states and mid-west states with international travels

I want to apply either this fall or the following fall. Business school is an experience I am seeking; however, my father was recently diagnosed with cancer so there are other things in my life that take priority, but I want to stay ahead of the game and get some professional input of my profile as it is now.

When I first sought interest in business school, it was due to the entrepreneurial route due to personal reasons; however, in the past 3 years I have been heavily involved with certain aspect of retail trading.

The following schools are the ones I want to apply to (however, I am planning on visiting the schools, some again to see if I can see myself living there, since I prefer a metropolitan area):
Wharton, MIT, Booth/NW – I prefer Booth, biased because of the great visit (reach)
Haas, Columbia/Stern, UCLA, McCombs (target)

I am going to narrow it down to 4 realistic programs before I apply based on my profile. Do you recommend this approach and do you recommend any other programs? If my profile in it’s entirely is not possible for the beforehand mentioned schools, please feel free to comment and if you would provide any further input. Thank you in advance for reading this long post.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 0

Re: Would really appreciate your feedback. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
Since you're relatively young, you can afford to be less realistic -- maybe focus only on ambitious "stretch" schools this year, and then if you don't get in, expand that list to more realistic schools the following year. In other words just focus on your 4 top choices (Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, Sloan) for this year.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Re: Would really appreciate your feedback. [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 21:41
Alex,

First, thank you for your time and your input.

I did want to mention that I will be 26 at matriculation, if I apply this fall for the following year. I understand that 26 is still young on the acceptance range in age to these programs. However, I did want to question your statement on being ambitious and applying to only stretch schools. I am not sure if you said your statement purely since I am young and can try again next year, or if I had a good chance of acceptance to one of these programs I listed as a stretch?

I am asking since I do not want to pour everything into the stretch programs, only to not have stood a decent profile for acceptance. Therefore would have to go through the application again the following year to other programs. I would rather figure out which schools are my targets (higher likely my profile would fit and possibly scholarships), and try 1 stretch and 3 target programs.

Hope you understand my question. I do not really want to repeat the time and money that goes into the MBA process for a stretch school that my profile might not fit. I would be more than happy with any of the prior mentioned programs and would like your input on any other programs that might be a good fit.

Thank you again for your time in advance,
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Would really appreciate your feedback. [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 10:21
Then just focus on Booth as your stretch school, and Haas/Stern/UCLA and McCombs as your other schools.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Would really appreciate your feedback.   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2011, 10:21