Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would someone please evaluate?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Would someone please evaluate? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 13:36
Hello everyone and than you in advance for your input.

Here are my stats:
27 years old
Hispanic
Ivy League Graduate
3.09 GPA - business major
Captain of the Varsity Swim Team

I have not taken the GMAT, but my studies indicate that I am currently in the 650 to 700 range. I am looking to take the test in late oct/ early nov.
I have 4.5 years experience to date in Fixed Income Sales - 2 bulge bracket firms and now work for a small boutique of about 100 people.
It has always been a goal of mine to pursue an MBA. I believe it will help me reach my goal of one day running my own investment firm. My short term goal is to move from the sales side of the business to the buy side/ investment management side of the business.

In addition, I work as an ocean lifeguard on the weekends during the summer and I am a member of a masters swim team.

A few things to note:
I love the industry that I work in (sales and trading), however I am getting tired of being an institutional salesman. I would rather be the person making the portfolio decisions rather than the one trying to convince other people of his ideas. In addition, I believe business school will give me the opportunity to refine some of the skills I lack that are necessary to achieve my long term goal. In other words, I have a good idea which classes I would like to take.

Also, I am with my third company now, but my reasons for leaving my previous positions are justified. Without getting into detail, my moves show upward progression as well as promotion.

Given my experience in the markets, I also believe that I would be a solid addition to a class in that I would be able to share first hand experiences on how the bond market reacts to various situations.

I realize that my GPA is in the lower end of the range for many top schools but I think it is important to note that the slope is straight up. My GPA during my first two semesters was about 2.4. I had a lot on my plate between swimming 4 hours a day and pledging a fraternity. I was able to bring it all the way up to almost 3.1. In fact, my last four semesters average around 3.45.

I will not be able to ask my current supervisor for a letter of recommendation as I believe it will be career suicide. The person who had my job before me left for b-school after only 6-months with the company, and my boss has vocally expressed the bad taste it has left in his mouth. I will likely have to go to my previous employers for recommendations which should not be a problem.

Schools I am considering:
Cornell
NYU (most likely part-time)
Columbia (as a long shot, although I am a legacy there)
Georgetown
Yale - reach, but its close to nyc so I would like to give it a shot.
Dartmouth - reach

Questions:
Do you think it will help that I am Hispanic?
Will the fact that my gpa is upward sloping and the fact that I was an athlete help me enough?
Are there any other schools I should consider?
Is it absolutely necessary that I break 700 on the GMAT?
Is the fact that I can not use my direct supervisor for a recommendation a problem?

Thanks again for your help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would someone please evaluate? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 21:28
Expert's post
gonzoswim wrote:
Hello everyone and than you in advance for your input.

Here are my stats:
27 years old
Hispanic
Ivy League Graduate
3.09 GPA - business major
Captain of the Varsity Swim Team

I have not taken the GMAT, but my studies indicate that I am currently in the 650 to 700 range. I am looking to take the test in late oct/ early nov.
I have 4.5 years experience to date in Fixed Income Sales - 2 bulge bracket firms and now work for a small boutique of about 100 people.
It has always been a goal of mine to pursue an MBA. I believe it will help me reach my goal of one day running my own investment firm. My short term goal is to move from the sales side of the business to the buy side/ investment management side of the business.

In addition, I work as an ocean lifeguard on the weekends during the summer and I am a member of a masters swim team.

A few things to note:
I love the industry that I work in (sales and trading), however I am getting tired of being an institutional salesman. I would rather be the person making the portfolio decisions rather than the one trying to convince other people of his ideas. In addition, I believe business school will give me the opportunity to refine some of the skills I lack that are necessary to achieve my long term goal. In other words, I have a good idea which classes I would like to take.

Also, I am with my third company now, but my reasons for leaving my previous positions are justified. Without getting into detail, my moves show upward progression as well as promotion.

Given my experience in the markets, I also believe that I would be a solid addition to a class in that I would be able to share first hand experiences on how the bond market reacts to various situations.

I realize that my GPA is in the lower end of the range for many top schools but I think it is important to note that the slope is straight up. My GPA during my first two semesters was about 2.4. I had a lot on my plate between swimming 4 hours a day and pledging a fraternity. I was able to bring it all the way up to almost 3.1. In fact, my last four semesters average around 3.45.

I will not be able to ask my current supervisor for a letter of recommendation as I believe it will be career suicide. The person who had my job before me left for b-school after only 6-months with the company, and my boss has vocally expressed the bad taste it has left in his mouth. I will likely have to go to my previous employers for recommendations which should not be a problem.

Schools I am considering:
Cornell
NYU (most likely part-time)
Columbia (as a long shot, although I am a legacy there)
Georgetown
Yale - reach, but its close to nyc so I would like to give it a shot.
Dartmouth - reach

Questions:
Do you think it will help that I am Hispanic?
Will the fact that my gpa is upward sloping and the fact that I was an athlete help me enough?
Are there any other schools I should consider?
Is it absolutely necessary that I break 700 on the GMAT?
Is the fact that I can not use my direct supervisor for a recommendation a problem?

Thanks again for your help.

gonzoswim,

To your questions:

1. Do you think it will help that I am Hispanic? YES. BIG TIME.
2. Will the fact that my gpa is upward sloping and the fact that I was an athlete help me enough? YES. JUST GET AS HIGH A GMAT AS YOU CAN.
3. Are there any other schools I should consider? MAYBE MIT SLOAN AND UCLA, BOTH STRONG FINANCE SCHOOLS.
4. Is it absolutely necessary that I break 700 on the GMAT? NO, IT'S NOT (SEE QUESTION 1 ABOVE). AIM FOR AS HIGH A SCORE AS YOU CAN GET.
5. Is the fact that I can not use my direct supervisor for a recommendation a problem? NOT A BIG ONE. JUST EXPLAIN IT AND GIVE THEM ANOTHER LETTER FROM A RECENT SUPERVISOR THAT'S ENTHUSIASTIC AND FULL OF DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT YOU.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Would Someone Please Evaluate [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 07:12
Paul,

Thank you for answering my initial questions. I took my GMAT yesterday and scored a 670 (43Q, 39V).
What do you think my chances are for the schools I listed?
I think Cornell is my strongest shot since I went there as an undergrad. Do you think this is an advantage? I have heard it was there, compared with Columbia and Penn where it is not.
My first choice is Columbia...any shot there?
Do you think I should retake the GMAT? I know I can do better on quant but I'm not sure I can replicate the verbal performance. I'm also running out of time.
Do I have a reasonable shot at NYU full-time or should I stick with part-time? I know most people say to apply full-time if you want to change careers, but I think in my case I fall somewhere in the middle both with my test scores and the fact that I'm not completely changing careers, just changing the side of the business.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would Someone Please Evaluate [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 20:26
Expert's post
gonzoswim wrote:
Paul,

Thank you for answering my initial questions. I took my GMAT yesterday and scored a 670 (43Q, 39V).
What do you think my chances are for the schools I listed?
I think Cornell is my strongest shot since I went there as an undergrad. Do you think this is an advantage? I have heard it was there, compared with Columbia and Penn where it is not.
My first choice is Columbia...any shot there?
Do you think I should retake the GMAT? I know I can do better on quant but I'm not sure I can replicate the verbal performance. I'm also running out of time.
Do I have a reasonable shot at NYU full-time or should I stick with part-time? I know most people say to apply full-time if you want to change careers, but I think in my case I fall somewhere in the middle both with my test scores and the fact that I'm not completely changing careers, just changing the side of the business.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

gonzoswim,

A 670 is a respectable score. Given that you have the Hispanic asset working for you, I say go ahead and apply to all the schools you mentioned. Obviously, your odds at Cornell and Georgetown will be higher than at Tuck and Columbia, but it you execute really well on your essays and reco letters (give both of these all the time they deserve and more--put you soul into your essays) you may break through at the top schools. If you don't mind 'winding up' at Cornell or Georgetown than apply to NYU full-time for the reasons stated above. It sounds like if you raised your GMAT score it wouldn't go up by much so given the time the rest of your app will need, maybe don't retake.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog