Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2nd Try

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
2nd Try [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 20:43
Hi,

My name is Eeshan Srivastava, 24yr old from New Delhi, India. I will be taking the GMAT for the second time this year and am also seeking to apply for MBA 2014. I would greatly appreciate if you could provide some thoughts on my last year's experience and this year's plan of action.

Acads
Xth - 93.2%, XIIth - 88.4%, B.Tech (Computer Science) - 80.6%

Work Experience (~ 3 years)
Lead Engineer at HCL Technologies - Sep 2010 to Mar 2013
Automation Engineer at S&P Capital IQ - Mar 2013 to present

Extra Curricular Activities
Working with Greenpeace, Change.org and WFP to spread their online awareness campaigns
Reading classic English Literature and writing poetry
Intermediate knowledge of French
Deep interest in learning about all domains ranging from the Arts to Sciences to Fashion to Entertainment to Medicine. (I believe this to be one of my greatest strengths as it always helps me to churn out innovative and out of the box solutions to complex problems)

Last Year
GMAT - 690 (Q49, V35, AWA 6, IR 7)
IELTS - 7.5

Schools Applied to - 8
Interviewed at - 3
Accepted at - 2

Accepted Schools
1. Tippie College of Business, Univ of Iowa
2. Carlson School of Management, Univ of Minnesota

Reason for not joining this year
Insufficient funding (Seeking scholarship)

MBA Goal
Short Term - Seeking a consulting role in a Consulting Services Firm
Long Term - Rise to top management position in the Consulting Services domain

Plan of Action for this year
- Improving work profile - Switched to a Data Analytics company from an IT services company
- Retaking the GMAT - Seeking score beyond 720

Top Dream Schools
Kellogg, Emory, Oxford, Cornell, INSEAD

Please suggest some target and reach schools for my profile (assuming I will increase my GMAT score; as I shall not apply if I do not increase it).

Also let me know how you can help me perfect my applications if I choose to avail one of your packages.

Best Regards,
Eeshan
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: 2nd Try [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:50
Expert's post
Eeshan,

There are a few things I would focus on currently:

1- The GMAT score. Yours is strong, but your best chance at your dream schools includes a maximized GMAT Score. Did you do a test prep program? Veritas has an excellent one that will help you maximize that score.

2- Work Experience. I would be focused more on an opportunity that allows you to excel and to undertake leadership roles. A role where you can show innovation and critical thinking. In essence, you want work experience that an admissions committee would read about and think "wow, this is someone who would really add-value to the classroom experience." I am guessing that if you were accepted to 2/8 schools that something is lacking currently in terms of the experience that you bring to the table.

3- Recommendations. Did you get superior recommendations? You want recommendations that highlight you as a super star.

4- Your Extracurricular are interesting, but again I do not see leadership roles or innovation or initiative in how you described them. These are characteristics that must be demonstrated in your entire application, via extracurricular, work experience and recommendations.

5- The Veritas Prep consulting package helps you to craft your application in a manner that highlights the best of who you are in a way that admissions committees like to see the information. We extensively get to know you to help you to identify what makes your "brand" unique and compelling, and we help you to put this into words. We take you through each metric of the application to get the best final result on each metric (essays, application, resume, recommendations). In essence, we help you to tell your story.

6- I am not sure if there is a reason you need the MBA now, but if you can wait a few years, I would work on the above with 100% commitment to each metric, which would significantly increase your chance at your dream schools and similar top schools: Northwestern, Tuck, Anderson, Haas, Stern, Yale SOM, Columbia, Duke...

Best of luck-

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 2nd Try [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 21:45
Hey!

I took my GMAT again yesterday and I got 650. This is less than my previous score of 690. But I guess GMAT reports both scores to the Universities.

Is it still worth it if I apply to some schools?

Eeshan
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 3

Re: 2nd Try [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 15:59
Expert's post
Eeshan--hate to burst your bubble, but if it's fellowship money you are holding out for, you may be disappointed. Schools have very little fellowship money at the MBA level. MBAs make the prorated equivalent of $100K during summer internships and get fat signing bonuses as a general rule, so the perception is there is not as much a need for scholarships. Additionally, when they do have scholarships to disperse, it usualy goes to under-represented groups, and as you likely know, Indian males is one of the most over-represented groups out there for b-school. They simply do not have any trouble attracting folks with a similar profile as yours to apply, so why give out scholarships? Your best bet is to make plans on how to pay for school. Have you looked at PT programs? Often you can target a better school than you would in the FT program because the admissions requirements are a bit easier. You're also making money while completing your MBA. Hope this helps.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews