Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 first time...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

640 first time... [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

I sat the GMAT today for the first time and the unofficial score reads 640 Q41V39. I have not quite processed the whole experience yet but I can only say that I am disappointed as I need at least a 650 for my own reasons. So close...
My average practice scores with GMATprep, Powerprep and the free MGMAT test ranged 500 two months ago and steadily climbed to 700 last week (and I did retake those tests, to get myself used to the anxiety and timed condition especially for the Q section). I studied for the past two months almost every evening after work and during weekends (and thus neglecting my family, friends, etc..). Took the last two weeks off from work to dedicate all my time to study and really thought I would pass the 650 because the studying went so well (=good practice tests scores).
How cruel can reality be ;-)
I suspect that careless mistakes in Q have lowered my overall score. None of the concepts presented in the actual test was unknown to me (which is a good sign I guess.) I am not so much concerned with my V score, 39 is what I scored all the time with practice tests...
Anyway, thoughts of retaking the test are running through my mind now. My aim is to pass to the 650, by increasing my Q score from 41 to 47 in a month?! (I got one more month to do this but work starts again as well and only 1 more leave day left which is reserved for test day). Would you think this is feasible, anybody did this before?? And how would you do this?

Also, I am a little concerned about all the stuff I have read about retakers gaining lower scores then their first try..

Your thoughts, views, experiences and suggestions are very welcome.

Cheers! And good luck to those who still need to take the test or are in the same situation!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: 640 first time... [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS
Although it is nice score, good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640 first time... [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
Tomato wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I sat the GMAT today for the first time and the unofficial score reads 640 Q41V39. I have not quite processed the whole experience yet but I can only say that I am disappointed as I need at least a 650 for my own reasons. So close...
My average practice scores with GMATprep, Powerprep and the free MGMAT test ranged 500 two months ago and steadily climbed to 700 last week (and I did retake those tests, to get myself used to the anxiety and timed condition especially for the Q section). I studied for the past two months almost every evening after work and during weekends (and thus neglecting my family, friends, etc..). Took the last two weeks off from work to dedicate all my time to study and really thought I would pass the 650 because the studying went so well (=good practice tests scores).
How cruel can reality be ;-)
I suspect that careless mistakes in Q have lowered my overall score. None of the concepts presented in the actual test was unknown to me (which is a good sign I guess.) I am not so much concerned with my V score, 39 is what I scored all the time with practice tests...
Anyway, thoughts of retaking the test are running through my mind now. My aim is to pass to the 650, by increasing my Q score from 41 to 47 in a month?! (I got one more month to do this but work starts again as well and only 1 more leave day left which is reserved for test day). Would you think this is feasible, anybody did this before?? And how would you do this?

Also, I am a little concerned about all the stuff I have read about retakers gaining lower scores then their first try..

Your thoughts, views, experiences and suggestions are very welcome.

Cheers! And good luck to those who still need to take the test or are in the same situation!

Take a break from GMAT for couple of days and think about a plan. Do not make hasty decision and sign up for gmat 31 days from now. Are you targeting 08 or 09 admissions ?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640 first time... [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Since you were scoring well on the practice tests, I suspect your quant issue is not knowledge based. If you feel like you can improve (i.e. you didn't perform up to your potential on test day), then you should retake it. As you take practice tests over the next month, concentrate on getting the first 10 questions correct, even if it takes up to 3 minutes per question. If you have a gut feeling you cannot get it right, make an educated guess and move on. Do not leave any blank at the end of the test. Just click through them if you have to because they do not affect your score that much. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 640 first time... [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 11:55
Hi Everyone, thanks.

By now, the thought of retaking has not faded, so I will follow my heart and plan a retake. I really feel that I can do better on the quant.
My forward plan is to drill my quant with the gmat club challenges and at the same time maintain my verbal as it is now.
Replaying the test in my mind I am pretty sure now that careless calculation mistakes in the start lowered my score so much that even the harder questions towards the end of the test could not elevate my scaled score. I will also track my accuracy for start 10 questions during the drills.

Keep you posted. Cheers.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 3

Re: 640 first time... [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 13:33
This post received
KUDOS
If you are not happy with your score and feel you can do better, I would retake.

Last edited by swbluedevil on 25 Jun 2008, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 640 first time... [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 23:02
I think it is pretty nice.
Re: 640 first time...   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2008, 23:02