Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 GMAT Score, however...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

700 GMAT Score, however... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 17:59
Hi,

I took the GMAT today and am very disappointed with the 700 score I received. I had a distribution of 42(59th percentile) on the quant section and 44(97th percentile) on the verbal section.

I was surprised my quant was so low because I had been getting at least 80th percentile on all the practice tests and averaging a 730 total on those practice tests. I would like to apply to Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, and INSEAD and I know my quant is low for their ranges. However, as an undergrad I graduated with a 3.9 with a degree in both Finance and Economics (where Econometrics, a highly statistical field, was my major). Additionally, I will be working for an excellent, internationally known investment bank for the years before I apply (I just graduated as an undergrad). Given this entire package, should I retake the test in an attempt to improve my score? And if I do retake and I somehow get a lower score, will that be held against me during the application processes?

Thanks for your help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: 700 GMAT Score, however... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 18:01
Sorry, I clicked on the wrong forum. I will move it.

My apologies.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 499 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 GMAT Score, however... [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Aw right forum, wrong forum...it's all good dude. Let's talk about your 700.

The answer here is EASY. You should retake the GMAT. Why? NOT because your 700 is too low--it is okay. But because you can do better dude. Nobody with your background should do better on Verbal than Quant. : ) You did GREAT on verbal, so now you can retake the test and ACE it.

Given the exciting list of schools you wanna consider this year, it is your best bet for sure. If your score goes down, you wont be considered negatively--you would even be considered positively for trying to improve your profile. The only thing REALLY that you have to lose is the time you would have spent otherwise, improving your apps.

Break 700 man, you know you could do it. So go get it done!

Hope this helps,

Jon Frank

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 1341 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 GMAT Score, however... [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:45
I think that if you are not happy with your score, and you think you can do better (which it looks like you can considering your strong background) I'd probably retake the test if I were you. That said, if you don't have the time to retake, I don't think the 700 will be a dampener per se. Applicants tend to want to make sure that there are no stones unturned when applying to the schools you mentioned, so it might be better in the long run to just shoot for 700+ and an 80 percentile split in both sections! Good luck!! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: 700 GMAT Score, however... [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 09:19
Thanks Guys! I feel super motivated now. Im going to rock this test next time. I just ordered the complete GMAT quant set from manhattan and am going to burn the midnight oil until I retake it!! Only problem is training at my bank starts on monday so its going to be tough for the next month and as somebody recently reminded me, I am barely going to have enough time for personal hygiene, much less the gmat, once I complete training and start working on live deals. I just hope I have enough time to focus...

And precisionessay. I agree that my quant should be higher and may just be a fluke. But verbal was awesome and I owe it to one thing and one thing only and that is because I have been reading books like War and Peace my entire life. Sure a little practice on SC was necessary, but I only had to do average on SC because I was already acing RC and CR based prior verbal skills. Also, I will be applying in three years. I just graduated from undergrad program two months ago.

Do you guys have any advice on what basic foundations of quant to focus on in order to master the 550-700 level math questions?

Thanks
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 700 GMAT Score, however... [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 08:23
MGMAT's 5 sets is the best idea!

I used them and managed to rise my Q score from 44 to 49.
Do FIND your weak ares in Q, they must be.

After you go through 5 sets, try Gmatclub tests, they are great.

BK1012 wrote:
Thanks Guys! I feel super motivated now. Im going to rock this test next time. I just ordered the complete GMAT quant set from manhattan and am going to burn the midnight oil until I retake it!! Only problem is training at my bank starts on monday so its going to be tough for the next month and as somebody recently reminded me, I am barely going to have enough time for personal hygiene, much less the gmat, once I complete training and start working on live deals. I just hope I have enough time to focus...

And precisionessay. I agree that my quant should be higher and may just be a fluke. But verbal was awesome and I owe it to one thing and one thing only and that is because I have been reading books like War and Peace my entire life. Sure a little practice on SC was necessary, but I only had to do average on SC because I was already acing RC and CR based prior verbal skills. Also, I will be applying in three years. I just graduated from undergrad program two months ago.

Do you guys have any advice on what basic foundations of quant to focus on in order to master the 550-700 level math questions?

Thanks

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 GMAT Score, however... [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 23:49
So sad to hear that. However, you should try to get a higher score! You can perfectly do it!
Re: 700 GMAT Score, however...   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2011, 23:49