Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 19:10
I just finished a practice GMAT:

Verbal: 47 / 99% :wink:
Quantitative: 36 / 48% :oops:
Total: 660 / 86%

I am absolutely terrible at GMAT math: rearranging answers, making inferences, familiarity with roots and exponents, etc.; that stuff kills me every time. I'm more than halfway through the Knewton course, and still I just get hit with questions and have no idea how to even start the problem. I'm going to re-start the math portion of the course, but in addition, I need to develop a plan of attack ...

I feel there is plenty of low-hanging fruit for me to pick on the math section. Now, obviously my mathematical skill set is not the best, so rather than prep to score a 60 I figure it's best to (1) cram for the things that show up most often, and (2) put in extra study on the math topics that I'm best at, DS for one, in order to gain some extra points there.

My main question: what are the most commonly tested GMAT math topics, and what percentage of questions hit those topics? In addition, if you developed your own GMAT math regimen that worked for you, what was it? How did it go? I'm open to any and all other advice, except 'go back to school to become an English major.'

Thanks!
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8855 [0], given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 20:31
Expert's post
WOW - amazing Verbal Score!

JDMBA?

Would suggest that for quant you start with MGMAT Math Foundations and time yourself (don't just spend all kinds of time on the questions).
Here are pretty much my thoughts about study plan options: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html (see the first part for the math).

In terms of questions - you probably know what you will see. About 50% of it is or is based on Arithmetic - basic 6th-grade stuff but tricky.
Key to getting through it is getting comfortable with very simple things and SLOWLY progressing. As soon as you feel uncomfortable, you need to take a step back and revisit the areas you just covered and do mistake analysis.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: 99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 16:06
I have a somewhat similar problem. High verbal, lower quant.

It seems like the quant stuff is all about using easy formulas in tricky ways. You may think you know all the basic stuff, but you probably only know it one way. The GMAT will test you in 10 different ways. I've gone through some math problems and some manuals which seems to help.

I'm under the impression that if you were to do every single math question in the 12th edition GMAT guide and GMAT club tests and carefully review your answers, you won't be surprised on the actual test.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8855 [0], given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 16:18
Expert's post
Exellon wrote:
I have a somewhat similar problem. High verbal, lower quant.

It seems like the quant stuff is all about using easy formulas in tricky ways. You may think you know all the basic stuff, but you probably only know it one way. The GMAT will test you in 10 different ways. I've gone through some math problems and some manuals which seems to help.

I'm under the impression that if you were to do every single math question in the 12th edition GMAT guide and GMAT club tests and carefully review your answers, you won't be surprised on the actual test.

Close though you can always get surprised on the test - the whole concept of the GMAT is to "surprise" you so to speak with a non-typical question.
However, definitely helps to get the practice of seeing questions you may never have encountered before and patterns you are not familiar with.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: 99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 18:51
Amazing verbal score. Seriously, one I can only dream of
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 00:26
Amazing verbal score.
This might be a wrong thread, but please let me know if you need help with math, as I will need your help with my verbal in return.
My most recent score: (Q49, V31). Please PM me if you are interested!
Manager
Manager
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

Re: 99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 18:11
Same positition as you, except I'm not very good at SC. I have been through all the MGMAT Quant guides and OG 11, OG 12, OG quant. I have kept an error log and have reviewed my OG 12 errors already, I still can't make any progress. What puzzles me though is that my first MGMAT quant score was a 40, I have taken 3 since then with quants scores in the low 30's and between the 2nd and 3rd test scored a 47 in quant on GMAT Prep #2. I'm just getting really frustrated now and it is good to see more people like me (High V low Q) on this forum. I think will go through all the errors I have made in the OG editions, then through the errors in the MGMAT CAts, and then go through the GMAT Club Challenges. I just hope that boosts my quant I am shooting for a 47-48. Keep me posted on your progress, and what works or doesn't work. Good luck.
Re: 99% verbal, 48% math -- Need serious math help!   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2010, 18:11