Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 10:35
I'm currently going through Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT. I had a consistent quant score of 47-48 on my practice tests. I'm looking to improve my score to 50 or above. I've been going through the problem sets with 150 questions and found those questions manageable. However, I'm just wondering if these questions are representative of the 90th percentile difficulty-level questions. For half of the questions in the problem set, I'm unable to complete within 2 minutes. Some questions might take me as long as 5-10 minutes to solve. Just wondering if the difficulty level of the questions in the book are comparable to the top 90th percentile questions on the real GMAT exams? Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 50 [2] , given: 74998

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
If you're scoring a 47 and above on mgmat quant (assuming it's timed) then you will have no problem scoring a 50 or 51 on the real GMAT. The difference will come down to how focused you are and how much you minimize silly mistakes. With that said, I think the advanced quant is unnecessary and over the top. If your fundamentals are strong and you know how to approach most problems then you should be fine...
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7595 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 12:49
Expert's post
I felt they were almost a bit beyond the GMAT/requirements - definitely good and up there. See my review: advanced-gmat-quant-from-manhattan-gmat-114166.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 200 [2] , given: 10

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The book is designed to provide instruction in advanced GMAT topics. The problems aren't necessarily designed to simulate 700-800 level GMAT questions. The idea is that if you have strategies to tackle everything in that book, you should be well-prepared for the hardest GMAT quant. Having said that, many people also spend 5-10 minutes on real GMAT problems! Part of what you should get out of this kind of advanced practice is an instinct for when to let a problem go, and when to switch to a different mode of problem solving. I know that if I spend 5-10 minutes on a problem, my response is to go back and keep working through the problem until I can see a quicker way to approach it.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [6] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
Advanced GMAT Quant is very complex. The problems are definitely challenging and worth reviewing for high-level concepts and multi-step solutions.

The difference is that the real GMAT presents problems that are equal in difficulty but much more "elegant" than MGMAT, or any other prep company, for that matter.

GMAC finds ways to give you problems at the high levels that seem deceptively easy in their nature, but contain 2-4 levels of easy mistakes that you can make, tripping you up and making you draw incorrect conclusions that lead you to a wrong answer.

I would do MGMAT Quant to become very proficient at tougher concepts and harder problems, but to score high on the real thing, you need to do a lot of practice at paying close attention to detail on real GMAT problems, and identifying the subtle but devastating mistakes they will often lead you to make. That's ultimately how you'll get a higher quant score. The concepts are the same, but the trickery goes up, significantly.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7595 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 00:49
Expert's post
ebonn101 wrote:

I would do MGMAT Quant to become very proficient at tougher concepts and harder problems, but to score high on the real thing, you need to do a lot of practice at paying close attention to detail on real GMAT problems, and identifying the subtle but devastating mistakes they will often lead you to make. That's ultimately how you'll get a higher quant score. The concepts are the same, but the trickery goes up, significantly.

Very well put! Kudos.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
Why do weight lifters do body building ? Because it helps them indirectly. You don't know exactly what curevballs GMAT will throw at you. What you can do it to train your mind to practise convoluted problems that are not copies of OG and GMAT Prep. Hence Advanced Quant will prove helpful. Same for MGMAT Challenge Archive.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 05:50
Thanks very much for the insights. I just took the GMAT Prep test yesterday and scored a 50 on it. I definitely agree that the questions from the advanced Manhattan GMAT are much more challenging than the real GMAT prep questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 04:15
Some of the problems in the work sets are BRUTAL, however you cannot categorize each problem to say a GMAT Difficulty level. This is a strategy book and must be used as such, to gain key insight into multiple strategies and approaches to solve tough Quant problems (DS and PS) irrespective of whether you are taking a GMAT , a GRE or any other Admission test that involves similar syllabus. They are designed to get you to think out of the box and become better. They are definitely not designed to be indicative of what MGMAT thinks GMAT will throw at you if you are headed towards say a 50, for that MGMAT has their CAT's.

Having said that, the problems are perhaps as tough as any that could be designed given the time limit so if you do well with them, you are sure to do well on the GMAT (all things remaining equal), However if you do poorly on them, then you may still do well on the GMAT, however if you review the problems you got wrong and follow the strategy you will definitely improve your score.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 03:46
Hi BB,

Is there any difference between the 4th Edition Manhattan Advanced Quant and the 5th edition Advanced Quant. I am asking as I was thinking of buying the new one and one of my friends has the old one to give to me. So, which one should I go for?
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2014, 03:46