Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Sep 2016, 00:40
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Age Limit on Full time MBA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:41
I am 32 years old, engineering graduate. Planning to take full time MBA to advance in my career. Is this a good age to think about MBA? Is Full time MBA is better than Evening/Week end MBA. I want to get into Booth because I am from Chicago, I don’t have to move my family.

I pursue full time what are good schools take 30+. Please advise, thank you for your time.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 16:18
Even though the average age for MBA applicants for most schools is 27-28 , you are still not too old for MBA. As for choosing between part- time and full time program , do what works best for you. The good news for you is that Booth MBA diploma does not specify if you did full time or part time MBA. Therefore, if evening or weekend program works best for you keeping in mind your family and job commitments, go ahead with it.

I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 20:54
Poonamtandon wrote:
Even though the average age for MBA applicants for most schools is 27-28 , you are still not too old for MBA. As for choosing between part- time and full time program , do what works best for you. The good news for you is that Booth MBA diploma does not specify if you did full time or part time MBA. Therefore, if evening or weekend program works best for you keeping in mind your family and job commitments, go ahead with it.

I hope it helped.

Thank you for your advise.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.75
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 22:21
I am former military and I am looking to enter a full time MBA program at 36-37. What challenges will I face being a older prospective student?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 12

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
@MBAseeker1: I know of atleast 2 people who are enrolled in a top MBA and are 35 years old. Although entering at 36 is really really pushing it, but try to use ur age (and experience) to your advantage. I know it's easier said than done btw. But it can be done if you have a tight story. Best of Luck!
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 73

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 09:19
MBASEEKER1 wrote:
I am former military and I am looking to enter a full time MBA program at 36-37. What challenges will I face being a older prospective student?

The main challenges that older applicants face in MBA admissions is 1) being too far along in their careers for a FT MBA to make sense and 2) being stuck in a dead end career. I do not believe there is an inherent bias against older applicants simply because of age. If you are just now coming out of the military this is actually the perfect time to pursue an MBA. The onus will be on you to communicate "Why MBA and why now?" but you shouldn't have too difficult a time doing so given your circumstances.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 19

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 19:20
32 or 35 isn’t too old for a FT MBA. I have people in my class who were in their 40s. However, the older classmates were sponsored by their companies to return to a senior management position. The issue with going into a FT MBA program in the mid-30s is that most post-MBA jobs are looking for people between 2-7 years of experience. On the higher end of that range, you can go for the leadership development programs, on the lower end, you can go for investment banking and consulting jobs. If you already have 12-17 years of experience, most of the post-MBA jobs isn’t really suited for you. LDPs are looking to develop leadership pipeline 15-20 years down the road, at which point, you may be retiring. The lifestyle in investment banking or consulting is usually too rigorously for someone in the late 30s, plus you may be too old for the MD or partner track.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 13:07
I am 33 years Indian unmarried woman...Btech (IT) 2005..then did lecturership in a pvt engineering college from 2005-2008...did Mtech(IT) from Jadavpur University 2008-2010(very reputed)..then joined IBM in 2010-2014..then join Cognizant in 2014 and I am still working in Cognizant,Kolkata..west Bengal,India...want to move to US for MBA with scholarship..I want to know with this career can I get scholarship ?and my chance to get admitted in a decent B school in US?Please help
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 13:17
Hi Sattvic,

I really don think there is an age limit for doing an MBA as long as you can prove yourself as a worthy candidate for the school.Even though you are 32, you have a considerable work ex behind you that can push forth your case as a candidate who further wishes to up his ante from his current role and experience.

I personally know someone who went on to do an executive MBA from Harvard at the age of 55.So age has no limits as long as the mind is ready to absorb knowledge.

Since you are in Chicago,two of the top universities are based out of Illinois - Northwestern and University of Chicago.Both are known for their MBA programs.

Also you mentioned that what kind of MBA course ( Part-time,Weekend,Full time),if you have the time and effort to pursue a full time,I suggest you go for the full time course as it will truly help you get the MBA experience .However i am not discounting the fact that Weekend and Part time are not good,they are also extremely good however one should be aware of the outcomes he expects out of the MBA program to determine which kind of course to pursue.

Hope that helps.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 22:05
Swati scholarships are tough to get. Usually reserved for the most exceptional candidates of students. But usually those with top GPA, GMATs, and a strong demonstrated fit with the program receive these. Your age is not the problem just need to make a strong case for why you need an MBA

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 02:00
swati66 wrote:
I am 33 years Indian unmarried woman...Btech (IT) 2005..then did lecturership in a pvt engineering college from 2005-2008...did Mtech(IT) from Jadavpur University 2008-2010(very reputed)..then joined IBM in 2010-2014..then join Cognizant in 2014 and I am still working in Cognizant,Kolkata..west Bengal,India...want to move to US for MBA with scholarship..I want to know with this career can I get scholarship ?and my chance to get admitted in a decent B school in US?Please help

Swati,

B-school admissions depend on a whole lot of factors. The most notable ones are:
1. competitive academic scores and GMAT;
2. Career progression and career worthiness (what impact did you make through your career;
3. Your leadership, business and soft skills;
4. clarity in your carer goals and convincing answers on why you need an MBA.

Your description above does not give a very clear picture of these areas so it will be difficult to answer.

You are on the older side of the applicant pool, so b-schools will really expect you to have very valid reasons for doing an MBA now and from their schools. For this you will have to tell your story well and convince them.

Scholarships are quite elusive for MBA applicants. The adcoms have to realllly like you to offer one. So don't let that be your guiding factor to do an MBA from USA. At the same time, do look into Indian executive MBAs offered by the IIMs, as well as the European MBA programs that are more open to older candidates.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Be on top of your game and start the applications NOW. To get started, write to us for a profile evaluation

Expert Post
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 06:18
swati66 wrote:

Hi swati66, First of all- your marital status is irrelevant to your B school application! And I would not overthink your age either. While you would be on the older side of applicants for a FT program, you would not be the oldest. What you don't mention is your GMAT? Is it strong? If you want a scholarship you need a strong GMAT in your pool. You have some excellent brands (IBM, Cognizant) and if you can show progression and a compelling case for why the MBA will help, you can have options in US for B school. Being female will help your case. We work with candidates to strategize on best options for scholarships and so this could be a great investment if getting a full ride is your goal. While your age also makes you a good candidate for exec programs, those are far less likely to offer fellowships. Please reach out athttps://stratusprep.com/free-consult/ if you'd like to do a free consult to learn more about how we help candidates strategize for fellowships. Best of luck to you!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | StratusPrep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Schools: Stanford '18, CBS '19
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 26

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 08:00
In full agreement with MBA Decoder on this one