Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 06 May 2016, 06:30
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although at one time childrens programming had been limited

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1629
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 2

Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 10:40
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:51) correct 23% (01:07) wrong based on 230 sessions

HideShow timer Statictics

Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

A. Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves

B. With children’s programming having been limited at one time to a few hours a week, now at least four cable networks have dedicated themselves

C. Once limited to a few hours a week, there are now at least four cable networks with children’s programming that dedicate themselves

D. Children’s programming was once limited to a few hours a week, but now there are at least four cable networks dedicated

E. While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks are now dedicated
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Last edited by Abhishek009 on 23 Apr 2016, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted Text for better representation
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1559
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 421 [1] , given: 6

Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 10:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

A. Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves - no need of 'had been'
B. With children’s programming having been limited at one time to a few hours a week, now at least four cable networks have dedicated themselves - 'having been's is almost always wrong in GMAT
C. Once limited to a few hours a week, there are now at least four cable networks with children’s programming that dedicate themselves - awkward
D. Children’s programming was once limited to a few hours a week, but now there are at least four cable networks dedicated - CORRECT
E. While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks are now dedicated
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1629
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 2

Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 10:54
seekmba wrote:
Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

A. Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves - no need of 'had been'
B. With children’s programming having been limited at one time to a few hours a week, now at least four cable networks have dedicated themselves - 'having been's is almost always wrong in GMAT
C. Once limited to a few hours a week, there are now at least four cable networks with children’s programming that dedicate themselves - awkward
D. Children’s programming was once limited to a few hours a week, but now there are at least four cable networks dedicated - CORRECT
E. While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks are now dedicated


could you elaborate a bit more on whats wrong with E?
Thanks
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2010, 06:23
noboru wrote:
seekmba wrote:
Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

could you elaborate a bit more on whats wrong with E?
Thanks


In my view, had once been is past perfect, but we need simple past out here. Also, "While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week" is modifying "at least four cable networks" which is wrong.

Experts. Please comment.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2010, 19:25
In an order of events, "there are now at least" is present so the action that took place right before it shoul be simple past tense (that is why D).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: D-Day is on February 10th. and I am not stressed
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Location: Kuwait
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 52

Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2011, 04:37
+1 for D... most concise and eliminated the wrong phrased words of dictate themselves
_________________

Sky is the limit

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 634
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 416 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 21:31
Expert's post
Bumping up for further practice
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 255
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 229

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 03:52
noboru wrote:
Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few
hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that
dedicate themselves
entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

A. Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week,
now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves
B. With children’s programming having been limited at one time to a few hours a week,
now at least four cable networks have dedicated themselves
C. Once limited to a few hours a week, there are now at least four cable networks with
children’s programming that dedicate themselves
D. Children’s programming was once limited to a few hours a week, but now there are at
least four cable networks dedicated
E. While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least
four cable networks are now dedicated


Can some one explain why the use of Past perfect tense is wrong in option 'E'

IMO - we have two events here

had one been limited - Earlier event
now dedicated - later event
_________________

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 729
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 158

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 12:04
smartguy595 wrote:

Can some one explain why the use of Past perfect tense is wrong in option 'E'

IMO - we have two events here

had one been limited - Earlier event
now dedicated - later event


Past perfect tense is used to refer to two events that started and completed in the past.

Quote:
Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves entirely to shows produced specifically for children.



Children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week = Completed action in the past

Now, however, there are at least four cable networks = Refers to present action

So Event 1 - Started and completed in the past
But Event 2 - Occurred in the present

Hence Past Perfect Tense will not be good here.... :-D :lol: :x
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 255
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 229

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 20:21
Abhishek009 wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:

Can some one explain why the use of Past perfect tense is wrong in option 'E'

IMO - we have two events here

had one been limited - Earlier event
now dedicated - later event


Past perfect tense is used to refer to two events that started and completed in the past.

Quote:
Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves entirely to shows produced specifically for children.



Children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week = Completed action in the past

Now, however, there are at least four cable networks = Refers to present action

So Event 1 - Started and completed in the past
But Event 2 - Occurred in the present

Hence Past Perfect Tense will not be good here.... :-D :lol: :x



Hi Abhishek009

Am asking why Past perfect is not correct in option E:

While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks are now dedicated
entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

Earlier event - had one been limited
later event - dedicated
_________________

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 3293
Followers: 176

Kudos [?]: 1733 [0], given: 79

Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 20:42
Expert's post
smartguy595 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:

Can some one explain why the use of Past perfect tense is wrong in option 'E'

IMO - we have two events here

had one been limited - Earlier event
now dedicated - later event


Past perfect tense is used to refer to two events that started and completed in the past.

Quote:
Although at one time children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week, now, however, there are at least four cable networks that dedicate themselves entirely to shows produced specifically for children.



Children’s programming had been limited to a few hours a week = Completed action in the past

Now, however, there are at least four cable networks = Refers to present action

So Event 1 - Started and completed in the past
But Event 2 - Occurred in the present

Hence Past Perfect Tense will not be good here.... :-D :lol: :x



Hi Abhishek009

Am asking why Past perfect is not correct in option E:

While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks are now dedicated
entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

Earlier event - had one been limited
later event - dedicated


Hi,
past perfect is used to show the relation in two PAST events..
Because of the VERB- past perfect- we can know which event happened earlier without any other information..

but here-
one has happened in past and the second event is in present...
In this scenario, we rae already clear which event happened earlier, so we do not require PAST perfect..

_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 729
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 158

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 00:55
smartguy595 wrote:

Am asking why Past perfect is not correct in option E:



chetan2u has explained the issue very well, just thought about sharing a link from Veritas prep to supplement the point Chetan has put forward.

Plz go through the link - http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/08 ... -the-gmat/

Alsxo go through our GMATCLUB discussion of the Perfect Tense issue here -

gmat-grammar-book-verbs-96445.html#p742597

gmat-verbs-the-perfect-tense-136462.html

Hope this helps !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 255
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 229

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 09:20
Abhishek009 wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:

Am asking why Past perfect is not correct in option E:



chetan2u has explained the issue very well, just thought about sharing a link from Veritas prep to supplement the point Chetan has put forward.

Plz go through the link - http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/08 ... -the-gmat/

Alsxo go through our GMATCLUB discussion of the Perfect Tense issue here -

gmat-grammar-book-verbs-96445.html#p742597

gmat-verbs-the-perfect-tense-136462.html

Hope this helps !!


Hi Abhishek009

Option E-While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks are now dedicated
entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

My confusion here is regarding tense of the words "are now dedicated" -- does "are now dedicated" represents present/past tense:

I thought it is past tense since the dedication already happened now..please help me where my reasoning going wrong
_________________

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 437
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 312 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 13:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
smartguy595 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:

Am asking why Past perfect is not correct in option E:



chetan2u has explained the issue very well, just thought about sharing a link from Veritas prep to supplement the point Chetan has put forward.

Plz go through the link - http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/08 ... -the-gmat/

Alsxo go through our GMATCLUB discussion of the Perfect Tense issue here -

gmat-grammar-book-verbs-96445.html#p742597

gmat-verbs-the-perfect-tense-136462.html

Hope this helps !!


Hi Abhishek009

Option E-While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks are now dedicated
entirely to shows produced specifically for children.

My confusion here is regarding tense of the words "are now dedicated" -- does "are now dedicated" represents present/past tense:

I thought it is past tense since the dedication already happened now..please help me where my reasoning going wrong


If we consider that the dedication has already happened, then there are two mistakes in option E:

1. Wrong usage of simple present ( "are now dedicated" should have been "were subsequently dedicated").
2. Generally in absence of a simple past tense in the sentence, usage of past perfect is wrong. In no case can a later past event be expressed in simple present tense. Since the sentence explicitly states "are now dedicated", the expressed meaning is that the dedication happens in the present. (although this may not be the intended meaning).

Rectifying the first error would automatically rectify the second- the correct sentence would be :

While children’s programming had once been limited to a few hours a week, at least four cable networks were subsequently dedicated.......
Re: Although at one time childrens programming had been limited   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2016, 13:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Although an initial analysis of the rock samples that had been Samcom 1 14 Mar 2016, 06:45
56 Experts publish their posts in the topic Explaining that one of its many difficulties had been the kapilhede17 63 29 Jun 2012, 02:05
Explaining that one of its many difficulties had been the kapilhede17 0 05 Nov 2012, 02:18
Explaining that one of its many difficulties had been the kapilhede17 0 23 Aug 2012, 11:38
Although at one time children's programming had been limited GMATBLACKBELT 5 08 Sep 2007, 23:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although at one time childrens programming had been limited

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.