Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone else feel like this?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Anyone else feel like this? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 15:14
Its almost been a year since I started my MBA dream... I worked hard to beef up my profile -- Got promotions and more responsibility at work, aced the GMAT, travelled extensively, volunteered my time for noble causes, and engaged in interesting new hobbies. To me, this has been a journey of self-discovery that I would never had embarked upon otherwise.

In the past year, I've been driven with single-minded determination: getting into business school. Now that the chase will soon come to an end (one way or another) I'm begining to feel that empty, hollow feeling that people feel when something good is ending.

Don't get me wrong -- I've hated being so busy that I couldn't spend time with my fiance and friends. However, I've met so many interesting people in the past year that I honestly believe my personality has changed. Does anyone else feel like that?

I liken it to the feeling I experienced when I graduated college. I guess I'm not very good at saying goodbye :).

Anyone else have feelings like this?

P.S. I know it's not over till the fat lady sings.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Anyone else feel like this? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 16:25
saturnring11 wrote:
Its almost been a year since I started my MBA dream... I worked hard to beef up my profile -- Got promotions and more responsibility at work, aced the GMAT, travelled extensively, volunteered my time for noble causes, and engaged in interesting new hobbies. To me, this has been a journey of self-discovery that I would never had embarked upon otherwise.

In the past year, I've been driven with single-minded determination: getting into business school. Now that the chase will soon come to an end (one way or another) I'm begining to feel that empty, hollow feeling that people feel when something good is ending.

Don't get me wrong -- I've hated being so busy that I couldn't spend time with my fiance and friends. However, I've met so many interesting people in the past year that I honestly believe my personality has changed. Does anyone else feel like that?

I liken it to the feeling I experienced when I graduated college. I guess I'm not very good at saying goodbye :).

Anyone else have feelings like this?

P.S. I know it's not over till the fat lady sings.

great post my friend........it is amazing that you wrote all this because i feel the exact same way...I will copy paste what you just wrote:

"I've met so many interesting people in the past year that I honestly believe my personality has changed"

and yes, i do feel hollow/empty these days...suddenly nothing to do.....
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 16:35
I see your point but being accepted to a top program does not mean that one should stop volunteering, meeting interesting people, or visiting exciting places. Indeed, as an MBA student and later as an executive these activities become even more important.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 18:52
I wasn't implying that I'd stop volunteering. If that were the case, I'd simply revert back to my behavior pattern prior to the MBA application experience. On the contrary, the process has made me very humble and has been eye-opening for me.

I was also attempting to highlight that the chase is usually the fun part. Getting to the goal can sometimes seem anti-climactic.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1544 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:08
saturnring11 wrote:
I wasn't implying that I'd stop volunteering. If that were the case, I'd simply revert back to my behavior pattern prior to the MBA application experience. On the contrary, the process has made me very humble and has been eye-opening for me.

I was also attempting to highlight that the chase is usually the fun part. Getting to the goal can sometimes seem anti-climactic.

The chase is the fun part isn't it?

Finding out I got into Cornell from a fedex notification email was pretty, well, uhm, lame.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:16
Interestingly, thats how I felt when I was courting my wife-to-be. Now I'm happy if she lets me watch the television on a work night :)!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:21
saturnring11 wrote:
Interestingly, thats how I felt when I was courting my wife-to-be. Now I'm happy if she lets me watch the television on a work night :)!

Hah, I dont know what to make of that comment!

Pray she doesnt read this forum!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:29
I'm pretty sure she doesn't. The GMAT and B-School are the last things on her mind. Especially after almost a year of me obsessing over 'em.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:29
saturnring11 wrote:
I'm pretty sure she doesn't. The GMAT and B-School are the last things on her mind. Especially after almost a year of me obsessing over 'em.

I just emailed her. She's signing on right now.

So where did you apply?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:32
Ahhh... It'd be faster for me to tell her myself. She's sitting right next to me reading a book.

I applied in R1: Stanford, HBS, Wharton, MIT, Haas and NYU
R2: Chicago (Planned)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:34
saturnring11 wrote:
Ahhh... It'd be faster for me to tell her myself. She's sitting right next to me reading a book.

It's a digital e-book. I hacked into it and replaced harry potter with "fabio".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:35
saturnring11 wrote:

I applied in R1: Stanford, HBS, Wharton, MIT, Haas and NYU
R2: Chicago (Planned)

Never heard of em. Why not go for some good schools? :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:37
She wouldn't be caught dead reading Harry Potter. It's probably the New England Journal of Medicine or something like that.

In hindsight, I should have applied to a few more schools. Maybe Cornell :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:41
saturnring11 wrote:
She wouldn't be caught dead reading Harry Potter. It's probably the New England Journal of Medicine or something like that.

In hindsight, I should have applied to a few more schools. Maybe Cornell :P

Cornell's an easy app, you can tackle the whole thing, despite their absymal software, in two days.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:44
I think I'll wait for my R1 decisions before I apply. I'm a bit of a city person.. I like the Cornell brand but the location puts me off a little.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 19:45
saturnring11 wrote:
I think I'll wait for my R1 decisions before I apply. I'm a bit of a city person.. I like the Cornell brand but the location puts me off a little.

Join the club. It is pretty though.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anyone else feel like this? [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 12:23
saturnring11 wrote:

Saturn, first of all, I sincerely wish you the best with your apps.

However, I'm concerned that you've changed so much in the past year. Adcoms will definitely spot that all your extracurriculars, increased responsibility, charities, etc. have been crammed into the last year. They're looking for consistency along time, not sudden increases of every aspect outside working and hanging with friends or spouse.

If you are applying in 2006, all 2006 activities will look suspicious (I've read so in an adcom's blog or interview). And it makes sense. Schools are looking for individuals who will continue to make a difference 20 years from now. And what you are showing them is:

1) You can commit to studying for GMAT for 3 months (or 6 or 1, whatever).
2) You can commit to "diversifying" your activities portfolio for a year or so prior to applying.

And what your not showing is:

1) I've always been committed to making a difference.
2) I've growing steadily at my job.

I advice you look into what else you've been doing prior to this for your pending apps.

I also advice anyone else who feels they've changed dramatically in the past year to take a good look into what they're getting into.

Now, to counter what I've written, I have no idea of what you've written or who you are or what experiences you've had, so maybe I'm off the mark here. Yet the advice would apply to anyone who's actually jammed all the app. components and examples in the past 12 - 18 months.

Hope it helps. L.

NB: my posts are biased opinions based on what I've read, heard or made up, nothing more.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 12:30
Your points are valid, but I'm not sure thats what he meant. In my case, I had extracurriculars going back several years, I picked one or two and upped my involvement substantially.

You are right though - 06 activities do come across as less meaningful.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 14:18
I think you missed my point. I've been involved in the community and volunteer activities since I was 12. However, I never analyzed my activities or introspected in the serious, reflective way necessary to write b-school essays. For me, the essays made me look at myself in a completely different light.

This year, I engaged in new volunteer activities (I handled Media and Public Relations for a non-profit) where I made several lifelong friends. I even got involved in artistic ventures and was published as a writer and photographer. All of this was because I looked at my life from the outside and analyzed what was missing.

I was attempting to highlight that the b-school process has a way of bringing out both the best and worst in people. In my case, all the hard work has been worth it even if it does not end in success for me.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 14:41
Wish I could say this ... been a little different for me. I decided to finally plunge to an MBA dream in June, wrote GMAT in August and applied to only 1 school...but I have been very busy with work and recently, with the arrival of my daughter, who keeps me very tied! Of course there are 2 very interesting events I'm looking forward to, next year beginning - one is results from INSEAD and the other, hmm...the company I work for is going public ;)

For me, talking to many folks on this forum has been very nice and I hope to keep in touch with them long after they get into b-schools!

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

[#permalink] 25 Nov 2006, 14:41