Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are the Practice Tests really CAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:03
I took my first official full length practice test yesterday via Kaplan. I scored a 620 (34Q, 43V). It's still early in my studying so I realize this is just a starting point. The results analysis said that I answered 88% (36/41) of the verbal questions correctly, but the score still seems very low to me. This would tell me that I'm not getting to those high value 700+ level questions. However, I don't understand why I'm not getting to those questions (e.g. boldface CR questions). At one point I was on a roll of 21 questions in a row correct. Isn't the test supposed to adapt for this? Or are the practice tests just on a computer but the questions are preset?
Can anyone shed some light on this? What type of raw score (i.e. % correct) do I need to get a verbal score in the high 40s to possibly even a 50+? Am I looking at this wrong? Please help!

Thanks!

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 468 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:14
Hey

The maximum score you get is 51. And 43 is a very good verbal score !
I had a v=41 and that is 92 percentile so with 43 you are looking at a mid 90s percentile already

If you want to improve your overall score you need to shore up the quant

The test does adapt for how many you answer etc that's why you got the 43 .... if you want a verbal score of 48 or so you are probably looking at 2 or 3 wrong at most out of 41

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:35
shrouded1 wrote:
Hey

I had a v=41 and that is 92 percentile so with 43 you are looking at a mid 90s percentile already

The test does adapt for how many you answer etc that's why you got the 43 .... if you want a verbal score of 48 or so you are probably looking at 2 or 3 wrong at most out of 41

Thank you so much for the response. Oh I definitely know that my Quant needs major work. Trust me, it's actually gotten better, but I still have a long way to go. Data sufficiency is my biggest weakness as I only got 29% of those questions right. I was able to get 70% of the PS correct, but I'm still not as comfortable as I would like to be. Solutions, probability, and work rate problems scare the crap out of me and I tend to panic.
My thing is that knowing the Quant is where I struggle I really need to maximize the Verbal score as much as possible. I'm pretty balanced across RC, CR, and SC, but I think I can cut down on errors in SC and CR the most. Thanks again for the feedback.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 468 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:45
cheetarah1980 wrote:
shrouded1 wrote:
Hey

Thank you so much for the response. Oh I definitely know that my Quant needs major work. Trust me, it's actually gotten better, but I still have a long way to go. Data sufficiency is my biggest weakness as I only got 29% of those questions right. I was able to get 70% of the PS correct, but I'm still not as comfortable as I would like to be. Solutions, probability, and work rate problems scare the crap out of me and I tend to panic.
My thing is that knowing the Quant is where I struggle I really need to maximize the Verbal score as much as possible. I'm pretty balanced across RC, CR, and SC, but I think I can cut down on errors in SC and CR the most. Thanks again for the feedback.

More people struggle with verbal than quant ... verbal scared me, so it's awesome if you find that stuff easy to deal with

The thing with quant in my opinion is that there is a finite number of concepts out there ... and then its just application (verbal is so much more ambiguous, so you've got the tough part sorted)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 11:34
Expert's post
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I took my first official full length practice test yesterday via Kaplan. I scored a 620 (34Q, 43V). It's still early in my studying so I realize this is just a starting point. The results analysis said that I answered 88% (36/41) of the verbal questions correctly, but the score still seems very low to me. This would tell me that I'm not getting to those high value 700+ level questions. However, I don't understand why I'm not getting to those questions (e.g. boldface CR questions). At one point I was on a roll of 21 questions in a row correct. Isn't the test supposed to adapt for this? Or are the practice tests just on a computer but the questions are preset?
Can anyone shed some light on this? What type of raw score (i.e. % correct) do I need to get a verbal score in the high 40s to possibly even a 50+? Am I looking at this wrong? Please help!

Thanks!
Hi cheetarah,

A few of Kaplan's tests are non-adaptive, such as the free test given at live-online events. Meanwhile, we have updated our scoring recently for the classroom CATs; we're working on adapting this new technology to the CD with our Premier book, but haven't done so as of yet. If you can specify which test you took, I'll be able to give you a more concrete answer.

But regardless, congratulations for starting a Kaplan program. All of our tests, regardless of scoring algorithm, have the same goal--to help you evaluate your relative strengths and weaknesses, and to practice the variety of question types that you will see on Test Day. So take a look not just at your numbers, but at individual question types. Did you do better on Geometry than Algebra? On SC than on CR? All of that is valuable data that will help you maximize the efficiency of your Kaplan programs.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 12:18
Hi Eli! Thanks for the reply. I took the GMAT Free Practice Test from the Kaplan Website. Is this the same as the free test given at live events? I don't know if there is a more specific name for the test to give you a better idea of which one I took. In verbal I missed 1 RC, 2 SC, and 2 CR questions. In the math my problem areas are in algebra, probability, work rate, geometry, exponents (basically EVERYTHING). Often my issue is not seeing simple concepts in the presentation of the questions.

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 12:48
Expert's post
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Hi Eli! Thanks for the reply. I took the GMAT Free Practice Test from the Kaplan Website. Is this the same as the free test given at live events? I don't know if there is a more specific name for the test to give you a better idea of which one I took. In verbal I missed 1 RC, 2 SC, and 2 CR questions. In the math my problem areas are in algebra, probability, work rate, geometry, exponents (basically EVERYTHING). Often my issue is not seeing simple concepts in the presentation of the questions.
Hi Cheetarah,

You are correct--this is the same test. It is not adaptive. However, if you purchase a Kaplan Premier book or take one of our on-site of Classroom Anywhere classes, you'll get access to a number of our adapative tests.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 17:39
Amazing verbal score, nice starting point. I would recommend the Math workbook from Kaplan.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:25
verbal def good. boost quant and your dream come tryue!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:30
KapTeacherEli wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Thanks!
Hi cheetarah,

A few of Kaplan's tests are non-adaptive, such as the free test given at live-online events. Meanwhile, we have updated our scoring recently for the classroom CATs; we're working on adapting this new technology to the CD with our Premier book, but haven't done so as of yet. If you can specify which test you took, I'll be able to give you a more concrete answer.

But regardless, congratulations for starting a Kaplan program. All of our tests, regardless of scoring algorithm, have the same goal--to help you evaluate your relative strengths and weaknesses, and to practice the variety of question types that you will see on Test Day. So take a look not just at your numbers, but at individual question types. Did you do better on Geometry than Algebra? On SC than on CR? All of that is valuable data that will help you maximize the efficiency of your Kaplan programs.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions!

Thanx for the Info..I was also confused with same issue... :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:39
your verbal score is really good!! A bit more in quant will take your score higher!

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 23:00
Wow, Envy your verbal strength, dude :-D

Some more brushing up on the Quant section and you are set for the Exam !
Re: Are the Practice Tests really CAT?   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2010, 23:00