Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask about INSEAD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 10:20
Hi Folks,

Am headed there in Aug 2010. Feel free to ask questions - but please avoid the stupid stuff like:

1. Who hires at INSEAD?
2. What is the profile of students at INSEAD?

and other such trite questions - if it can be easily googled I will not answer the questions.

I dont believe this forum is meant to serve as a spoon-feeding ground - all else is fair game.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Intern
Intern
Schools: Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 16:38
Hi sm332, congrats for the admit...

I am planning to apply for Jan 2011 intake.

I am from India/US. GMAT 730(Q50/V40). 9+ years IT exp.
Did you secure any funding...? Looks like I'll have a tough time with that.

Also any pointers if wife can work in Singapore, like work visa etc?

thanks-

hope the questions are not stupid enough...
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 17:36
techchin wrote:
Hi sm332, congrats for the admit...

I am planning to apply for Jan 2011 intake.

I am from India/US. GMAT 730(Q50/V40). 9+ years IT exp.
Did you secure any funding...? Looks like I'll have a tough time with that.

Also any pointers if wife can work in Singapore, like work visa etc?

thanks-

hope the questions are not stupid enough...

INSEAD works a little differently, scholarships are opened up post admissions. They require separate essays and applications. Generally speaking, INSEAD does not dole out a lot of money compared to US Schools. I believe the last stat I heard suggested that 20% of the class receives an average of 10K euros.

I am not starting in Singapore so cant speak to the visa process there. I am under the impression that Singapore work permits are easily secured as long as you can secure a job in the area. But some googling will uncover the answer to this.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 03:00
Hi senior manager, i am an INSEAD aspirant from India. M/26 planningto apply in round 2, June. Obviously late. to brief on my profile i am a chartered accountant with 3.5 yrs of exp till date. have 2 yrs of non-profit organisation exp. appearing for gmat late april.

1) Wondering what are your chances round 2 vs round 1. ny idea wat % of seats get filled in r1? with my kinda profile , u think it makes sense to apply in round 2?

2) i plan to join jan-Dec batch, so can get to do intern as well. wats ur take on whether jan batch puts you to an advantage compared to Sep.

3) How can i improve upon my chances to get in from here on? any handy tip!! Also, if you dont mind, can u share your profile with us please. no of, kind of experience you have.

Your words will be of great help indeed.

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 04:19
deepakg wrote:
Hi senior manager, i am an INSEAD aspirant from India. M/26 planningto apply in round 2, June. Obviously late. to brief on my profile i am a chartered accountant with 3.5 yrs of exp till date. have 2 yrs of non-profit organisation exp. appearing for gmat late april.

1) Wondering what are your chances round 2 vs round 1. ny idea wat % of seats get filled in r1? with my kinda profile , u think it makes sense to apply in round 2?

2) i plan to join jan-Dec batch, so can get to do intern as well. wats ur take on whether jan batch puts you to an advantage compared to Sep.

3) How can i improve upon my chances to get in from here on? any handy tip!! Also, if you dont mind, can u share your profile with us please. no of, kind of experience you have.

Your words will be of great help indeed.

1. Impossible to give you a meaningful answer on this other than the sooner you apply the better it tends to be. I cant answer the question of how many ppl similar to you get admitted either. If you are keen on INSEAD and can prepare your strongest application. I would recommend applying as early as possible.

2. January intake certainly allows for the internship - It may help those trying to make career changes more than the Sept intake. But overall I dont think it makes a huge difference.

3. Please see the 2010 applicants thread - usually the first thread on the US School forum. 2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html A search for my username will give you a sense of my profile.

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD/Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/York Univ./Univ. of Western Ontario

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 11:13
Hi,

Average age of Insead student is < 30 years. Do you know whether they will be open consider the application of student who is bout 36 years old and has 14+ years of IT experience and about 1 year of NGO experience. Unfortunately, part-time EMBA is not an option.

Thanks,
Manish
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 23:54
Hi,
I was wondering about the 'can we speak to your employer' question on the application - my current line manager has only known me for a few months, and doesn't 'believe in MBAs', so I am reluctant to answer that with yes. Will that be looked upon unfavourably?

Also - I'm really interested in the opportunity for exchanging campuses, and read online that there is a bidding system. How exactly does it work?
Thanks, Y
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 19:21
gargmanish wrote:
Hi,

Average age of Insead student is < 30 years. Do you know whether they will be open consider the application of student who is bout 36 years old and has 14+ years of IT experience and about 1 year of NGO experience. Unfortunately, part-time EMBA is not an option.

Thanks,
Manish

Sorry for the delayed response - I see no reason why you wouldnt be considered. I suspect you may have to present a very well laid out plan for why MBA. But INSEAD certainly has several ppl >35 every year.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 19:23
inseadhopeful wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering about the 'can we speak to your employer' question on the application - my current line manager has only known me for a few months, and doesn't 'believe in MBAs', so I am reluctant to answer that with yes. Will that be looked upon unfavourably?

Also - I'm really interested in the opportunity for exchanging campuses, and read online that there is a bidding system. How exactly does it work?
Thanks, Y

I suppose you could explain why you would prefer that they dont contact your manager. But I suspect your situation is not that uncommon and INSEAD wouldnt need to understand why they cant contact your mgr.

Yes, in P1 you bid for campus exchange as well as the Wharton alliance. Basically, it is a mechanism to match supply and demand - almost all MBA programs use it for classes, etc, etc

Manager
Manager
Schools: Oxford'11
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 03:51
Hi sm332,
Regarding the financing, I know that some years ago INSEAD had an agreement with HSBC, which granted loans to INSEAD admits (tuition and sometimes part of living expenditure). I check recently on the INSEAD page, but no reference is made to the HSBC loan.
Do you know if INSEAD still have the agreement woth HSBS, or any other banks for student loans?
Thanks, A
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 20:27
a11c99 wrote:
Hi sm332,
Regarding the financing, I know that some years ago INSEAD had an agreement with HSBC, which granted loans to INSEAD admits (tuition and sometimes part of living expenditure). I check recently on the INSEAD page, but no reference is made to the HSBC loan.
Do you know if INSEAD still have the agreement woth HSBS, or any other banks for student loans?
Thanks, A

I do not believe that INSEAD has any financing arrangement in place for the time being.

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 21:01
Hi,
from insead web-site:

"Final notification for round 2 applicants - February 27th.
Deadlines for scholarships - Feb 11."

Does that mean that applicants admitted in 2nd round are not eligible for scholarship? (candidates are considered for scholarships ONLY upon acceptance)
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 05:04
Daler wrote:
Hi,
from insead web-site:

"Final notification for round 2 applicants - February 27th.
Deadlines for scholarships - Feb 11."

Does that mean that applicants admitted in 2nd round are not eligible for scholarship? (candidates are considered for scholarships ONLY upon acceptance)

I am fairly certain that R2 applicants had to apply for scholarships along with their main applications. i.e., Pre-admittance

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:14
Hi,
just wondering whether you did the 'optional essay' and if yes, what did you write about?
thanks for your help! Yvonne
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
inseadhopeful wrote:
Hi,
just wondering whether you did the 'optional essay' and if yes, what did you write about?

No I did not use it. INSEAD already asks for a lot of written material. So dont write something for the sake of it, you should use it only if you ahve to address something specific.

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 12:09
sm332 wrote:
inseadhopeful wrote:
Hi,

No I did not use it. INSEAD already asks for a lot of written material. So dont write something for the sake of it, you should use it only if you ahve to address something specific.

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 05:05
Hi,

Does it matters whether you pply in R2 or R3? Their web sites say No as there is very little difference.

Thanks,
Manish
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
gargmanish wrote:
Hi,

Does it matters whether you pply in R2 or R3? Their web sites say No as there is very little difference.

Thanks,
Manish

There is not way of providing an accurate answer to this other than .. if you can prepare your best application. The earlier you apply the better, but it shouldnt come at the cost of a sub-par application.

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 05:12
Thanks sms32
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask about INSEAD [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 04:56
Hey,

I really love the idea of INSEAD, but I don't think I'll apply there unless I'm dead set on consulting or industry. It seems like finance placement is almost always investment banking, or treasury/corporate finance. Are there any particular firms with which INSEAD a particularly strong relationship for asset management, trading or private equity?

Thanks and hope all is well in Fontainebleu.
Re: Ask about INSEAD   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2010, 04:56