Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

AWA help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [5] , given: 9

AWA help [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
I am new to this website and found it best source to prepare for GMAT.

I have been writing AWA for practice and got it checked from one of my teacher for only grammatical mistakes.My teacher is not much aware of the pattern of AWA so could you please tell me the following things.
1.Can we use the examples to stress on our points. If so then what kind of examples can be used.
2. I always srite with the following flow can you please help me is it correct way:

First paragraph :
Introduction to the argument and its explanation and bit about source of argument and author.
summarizing all the points and stating that these points are not sufficient to substantiate the argument.

Second Paragraph:
Firstly, the ......................... due to which it can not be .................
and so on

Third paragraph:
Second, the author states that ......................................
and so on

Fourth paragraph:
Hence in order to ........................... and make the unbiased decision/ be judgmental the above cited points need to be re verified and included in the argument to strengthen it.............

Any correction or suggestion is most welcomed.

Regards,
Svarmit
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: AWA help [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 20:02
You don't won't your essay to read like a shopping list, so I would work on better transitions than Firstly, Secondly, etc. Also, you do not need to summarize all the points in the intro -- it is more important to address the claim, but you can hold off on identifying the premises. Your intro is not a place for details but basically should just focus on: 1) introducing the topic, 2) identifying the main claim of the argument, 3) introducing your thesis: why the argument is problematic
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: AWA help [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 21:22
The pattern I use was :

1st Paragraph : Identify the parts of the argument. i.e, what the premises are and what the conclusion is. And saying that the argument is not convincing.

2nd Paragraph : 1st assumption and reason (maybe with example) for why it is not necessarily true.

3rd Paragraph : 2nd assumption and reason (maybe with example) for why it is not necessarily true.

4th Paragraph : 3rd assumption and reason (maybe with example) for why it is not necessarily true.

5th Paragraph : . Sum up saying that these are the reasons for the argument to be not convincing and provide things that can be added to the argument to make it more convincing.

But then again, I did not get a perfect 6.. So my method might need some polishing.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: AWA help [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:22
I prefer to discuss first and second assumtio/issue in the second para and the final issue(s) in third para followed by summary and suggestions for improvement in the last para.
Re: AWA help   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 15:22