Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 05:14 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 05:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
 1   2   3  ...  37   
User avatar
VP
VP
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1001
Own Kudos [?]: 3159 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Account Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Can someone shed some light on 'additional' information to write in Short Answer 1 and 2? Really speaking, the apt answer would be done in 100-150 words. What do we write on in the remaining 150-100? On Why MBA? or a little bit about history?
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Posts: 51
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
In for R1!
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Posts: 91
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Dan8294 wrote:
In for R1!


Any reapplicants here? Has anyone been able to get their application logins from Tepper (reapplicants only)
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Posts: 51
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
HedgeWi wrote:
Can someone shed some light on 'additional' information to write in Short Answer 1 and 2? Really speaking, the apt answer would be done in 100-150 words. What do we write on in the remaining 150-100? On Why MBA? or a little bit about history?


I think the fact that they're giving you 250 words tells you that they want you to expand on your response. As you said, you could sum up your goals in 100-150 words. I think what you do with those extra 100-150 words is up to you.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 212
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Can someone please help me with Math Background for online application?
Tepper is asking for whether you have studied Calculus, Calculus II, Statistics and Linear Algebra?

I have done B.Tech. Computer Sc. Engg. from India and I had Applied Maths 1,2 &3 and Advance Maths in which I have studied calculus and algebra.
But there was not specific exams as such.

How about Statistics? Can someone please explain?

Also, Tepper has asked to upload marksheets with these subjects listed with grades. The file size allowed is only 1 MB but you can't scan 8 marksheets with 1 MB size?

Your help is appreciated.
User avatar
VP
VP
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1001
Own Kudos [?]: 3159 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
sgupta14 wrote:
Can someone please help me with Math Background for online application?
Tepper is asking for whether you have studied Calculus, Calculus II, Statistics and Linear Algebra?

I have done B.Tech. Computer Sc. Engg. from India and I had Applied Maths 1,2 &3 and Advance Maths in which I have studied calculus and algebra.
But there was not specific exams as such.

How about Statistics? Can someone please explain?

Also, Tepper has asked to upload marksheets with these subjects listed with grades. The file size allowed is only 1 MB but you can't scan 8 marksheets with 1 MB size?

Your help is appreciated.

I created a table with the following columns : Course Name, Semester, Course Details (This column indicated the different units under each course), and Grade.. For me the "Course Details" column covered the Calculus, Statistics and Linear Algebra part.

I actually scanned my degree certificate, consolidated mark sheet and the marksheets for each individual semester... Was only around 400 kb.. If you are scanning in color, then try scanning in black and white....
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 212
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
MacFauz wrote:
sgupta14 wrote:
Can someone please help me with Math Background for online application?
Tepper is asking for whether you have studied Calculus, Calculus II, Statistics and Linear Algebra?

I have done B.Tech. Computer Sc. Engg. from India and I had Applied Maths 1,2 &3 and Advance Maths in which I have studied calculus and algebra.
But there was not specific exams as such.

How about Statistics? Can someone please explain?

Also, Tepper has asked to upload marksheets with these subjects listed with grades. The file size allowed is only 1 MB but you can't scan 8 marksheets with 1 MB size?

Your help is appreciated.

I created a table with the following columns : Course Name, Semester, Course Details (This column indicated the different units under each course), and Grade.. For me the "Course Details" column covered the Calculus, Statistics and Linear Algebra part.

I actually scanned my degree certificate, consolidated mark sheet and the marksheets for each individual semester... Was only around 400 kb.. If you are scanning in color, then try scanning in black and white....



I don't have scanner at home, all my marksheets are colored scan with 4MB size, & Transcript is 10 MB. I don't know how to reduce the size to 1 MB. I am trying some tools on MAC but none is useful so far.

Shall I create a small document to list all the subjects for Maths and upload it in that section?
I have covered Calculus and Algebra in Engg.
I am not sure about Statistics. What exactly Tepper mean by Statistics? There was no core course in Engg. but I have basic knowledge of Statistics that I acquired during High School & Engg.

Any suggestions?
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Posts: 51
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
sgupta14 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
sgupta14 wrote:
Can someone please help me with Math Background for online application?
Tepper is asking for whether you have studied Calculus, Calculus II, Statistics and Linear Algebra?

I have done B.Tech. Computer Sc. Engg. from India and I had Applied Maths 1,2 &3 and Advance Maths in which I have studied calculus and algebra.
But there was not specific exams as such.

How about Statistics? Can someone please explain?

Also, Tepper has asked to upload marksheets with these subjects listed with grades. The file size allowed is only 1 MB but you can't scan 8 marksheets with 1 MB size?

Your help is appreciated.

I created a table with the following columns : Course Name, Semester, Course Details (This column indicated the different units under each course), and Grade.. For me the "Course Details" column covered the Calculus, Statistics and Linear Algebra part.

I actually scanned my degree certificate, consolidated mark sheet and the marksheets for each individual semester... Was only around 400 kb.. If you are scanning in color, then try scanning in black and white....



I don't have scanner at home, all my marksheets are colored scan with 4MB size, & Transcript is 10 MB. I don't know how to reduce the size to 1 MB. I am trying some tools on MAC but none is useful so far.

Shall I create a small document to list all the subjects for Maths and upload it in that section?
I have covered Calculus and Algebra in Engg.
I am not sure about Statistics. What exactly Tepper mean by Statistics? There was no core course in Engg. but I have basic knowledge of Statistics that I acquired during High School & Engg.

Any suggestions?



I just created a Word file and went with the column approach. They'll be able to see all of your grades through your transcript anyways. I would use the Optional essay that you have not taken a "Calculus" or "Linear Algebra" course, but you have covered those topics in your Engineering studies. I'm sure they would understand what you mean.

"Statistics" is a course that teaches students how to interperate and analyze statistics - I think (I haven't taken it). It's pretty common for business and math majors in the US.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Status:Alum
Posts: 412
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
I agree, I'm a little confused by "Statistics". I've never actually taken a normal Statistics 101 class from the math/stats/business department. I've taken a "Statistics 101 for Psychology" course from the Psychology department. I've also taken an upper division Probability class (but no aspects of stats) in the Math department. I've also taken graduate course in Time Series Analysis in the Statistics department. Which of these classes do they want to see? Should I just choose the one I got an A in?

Originally posted by farful on 04 Oct 2013, 05:31.
Last edited by farful on 04 Oct 2013, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
VP
VP
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1001
Own Kudos [?]: 3159 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
fwiw.. I had a class called probability & statistics... I'm copy pasting my syllabus....

UNIT I RANDOM VARIABLES 9 + 3
Discrete and continuous random variables - Properties- Moments - Moment generating
functions and their properties. Binomial, Poisson ,Geometric, Negative binomial,
Uniform, Exponential, Gamma, and Weibull distributions.
UNIT II TWO DIMENSIONAL RANDOM VARIABLES 9 + 3
Joint distributions - Marginal and conditional distributions – Covariance - Correlation and
Regression – function of a random variable-Transformation of random variables -
Central limit theorem.
UNIT III TESTING OF HYPOTHESIS 9 + 3
Sampling distributions – Testing of hypothesis for mean, variance, proportions and
differences using Normal, t, Chi-square and F distributions - Tests for independence of
attributes and Goodness of fit.
UNIT IV DESIGN OF EXPERIMENTS 9 + 3
Analysis of variance – One way classification – CRD - Two – way classification – RBD -
Latin square.
UNIT V RELIABILTY AND QUALITY CONTROL 9 + 3
Concepts of reliability-hazard functions-Reliability of series and parallel systems- control
charts for measurements (x and R charts) – control charts for attributes (p, c and np
charts)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 212
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
I called admissions office and explain about Math Background. She said you should be fine with all these course as you are from engg. background. She said you can upload a document with details about subjects or use optional essay. You can also upload your marksheets.
She said you should focus on submitting your application by 10/7 deadline and you can reach out to admissions for something trivial like this later to update.

I think they are flexible with at lease this part of application.

Guys, focus on your essays, resume, transcripts which are required for application completion.

How about LORs guys?
After some initial struggle I managed to find two of my managers who are willing to write LORs. They were reluctant as it is a time consuming process.
I have to sit with them for coffee to discuss various aspects.
Share your thoughts please!

LORs can be submitted after 10/7 deadline within a week.
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Status:Heading to Tuck!!!
Posts: 119
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Location: Germany
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Hi,

Does any one have an idea about the time for tomorrow's deadline for Tepper? (is it 5 PM EDT or 11:59 PM EDT)

I was trying to get that info, but could not get it anywhere!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 212
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
thereddevil wrote:
Hi,

Does any one have an idea about the time for tomorrow's deadline for Tepper? (is it 5 PM EDT or 11:59 PM EDT)

I was trying to get that info, but could not get it anywhere!


It is 11:59 Eastern Time.
You can check it on the Tepper's website for application dates.

I would recommend submitting before that.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 212
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Submitted my application for R1. All the best guys!!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 34
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Submitted my application. Excited about the Tepper MBA.
Good luck to everyone!
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Posts: 51
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Received an invitation to interview today. Very excited!
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Nov 2011
Posts: 124
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Reapplicant.. Received an interview invite :)

My recommender hasn't even submitted the recommendation! Crazy!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
 1   2   3  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts