GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2020, 02:04
Dear Admits! Congratulations on your incredible achievement of getting into your dream MS program! We would love you to share your thoughts on the application process, what you learned, and what advice you would like to give future applicants.

The value you will bring by sharing your successful journey with the community would be worth a lot. Thanks in advance!

!

Suggested Template

• Name of the Program(s) you got into
  • A Little bit about your educational and professional background & post-MS goals
  • Experience of GMAT/GRE
  • Experience of interview
  • Factors that played key role in your success
  • Advice to future applicants
  • Anything else?

S
Re: Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 06:07
-Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business

-I hold a Bachelor of Science in Biology and was in the thesis phase of my Master of Science in Molecular Genetics before switching gears. I completed my MBA in 2019. Currently I am an Assistant Vice President at a financial institution and post MS goal is to move out of operational management and into data analysis and/of something quantitative.

-GMAT was well...the GMAT.

-My interview was very laid back and Ed Anderson was awesome. He asked the typical "why this program?", "why Fuqua?", etc.

-At my current company I went in as a Customer Service Representative. Within 1 year, I was in a management role and 1 year after that I was an Assistant Vice President. Ed asked me what I felt contributed to my quick climb from an entry level role to my current role.

-My advice to future applicants is to be yourself. Do not try to misrepresent yourself in any way. Be open, be honest and let the admissions committee see how awesome you are just as yourself.

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 22:33
Thanks FinanceMan. Appreciate your inputs about MSQM application. Good luck!
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 09:00
Name of the Program(s) you got into
I was admitted to the MSc Finance at LSE, Master in Finance at ESSEC and the MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering, but I chose to go to LSE.

A Little bit about your educational and professional background & post-MS goals
When I applied, I was in the process of finishing my BSc with a major in finance. I went straight from high school to undergraduate studies and then hopped right on the MSc bus without taking time off to work, other than doing some accounting during the summers. After the MSc, I'd like to work in investment banking.

Experience of GMAT/GRE
For this, see my GMAT debrief here.

Experience of interview
I was not interviewed for any of the programs I got into. If it counts, I was interviewed for the MSc in Financial Economics at Oxford Saïd (which I later got waitlisted for). It was reasonably laid back. The interviewer was pretty clear that he was not there to just ask me a ton of difficult questions. The questions were the usual "why do you want to study at Oxford?", "what do you want to do when you graduate?", "how will the program help you?" and "how will you contribute to the class?" type questions.

Factors that played key role in your success
Since I don't have much work experience, I think my biggest success factors were my test scores and GPA. I think my 760 GMAT, 118 TOEFL and good undergraduate track record made me quite competitive.

Advice to future applicants
Before applying to a program, make sure you've actually got a reasonable means of funding it. Tuition fees can vary widely, and scholarships are not always available. You don't want to get admitted to a program only to later realize you cannot afford it. Also, before applying to a program, take a look at the curriculum for each course to see whether it sounds like something that would actually suit you. Also, try not to stretch your GMAT studies out more than necessary. Burnout is not fun.

Anything else?
Best of luck to all of you in the process of studying for the GMAT or applying to MSc or MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 23:52
Name of the Program(s) I got into
- MQM:Business Analytics Fuqua, USC Marshall MSBA, and waitlisted for Berkeley MFE.

A Little bit about my educational and professional background & post-MS goals
- I have completed my Bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineering and have a work experience of 3+ years in Research and Development in IT. From my current job it was pretty clear as to what career I want to pursue long term. My career goal after Masters would be to venture into Financial analytics clubbed with Forensics(part of my current job) and play a pivotal role in impacting decision making on the financial front.

Experience of GMAT/GRE
- I have shared my detailed GMAT info on an another thread "Persistense: The mitochondria to crack the b school dream". Please do have a look.

Experience of interview
- Out of the 3, only Fuqua invited my for an interview whereas Marshall gave an admit without an interview and Berkeley waitlisted me.
Fuqua interview experience -
It was an informal sort of interview where the alumni who just passed 2 years before from the same program interviewed me. She was very polite and understanding. The questions were very standard and nobody is looking to grill you. The questions were as follows:
a. Why Fuqua?
b. Why MQM?
c. Why Masters at this point?
d. Explain about your current job.
e. What does Fuqua community mean to you?

Factors that played a key role in my success
- Putting aside ample time to do research. Every program requires attention to detail on certain aspects. We just need to make sure those aspects are air tight. For example, a more technical course will look into your body of work and the technical knowledge you possess but on the other hand an MBA course would look into the personality and attitude. In my case I took help from MIMEssay to help me with understanding how to build a strong application and it was very fruitful.

Advice to future applicants
- Do your research, make notes, talk to admissions people, network with alumni over linkedin and read blogs. Do all of these in a planned manner and sure it will prove to be the game changer for anybody.
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
Schools: HSG SIM "22 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2020, 17:35
Hey everyone, my name is Philipp and I got accepted into the Strategy and International Management (SIM) at St.Gallen,Switzerland.

There is one thing that I am convinced of and that I want to tell you upfront: YOU CAN DO IT!

Now, some specifics about myself: I did my BA in Business in Austria and did various internships and studies abroad (especially Latinamerica and the US) but honestly no "serious" professional experience (besides some self initiated projects). After the MA I am thinking about doing a PHD but am not sure yet, will se how my interests develop.

When it comes to my GMAT experience and advice: I did a detailed post on this topic and also uploaded a video on YouTube, check them out for some motivation and tips!

Post (mainly methodology)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-730-adv ... 27769.html

Video (mainly attitude and mindset)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuugriwffYw&feature=youtu.be

That being said, make the best of your GMAT experience and never forget: DON'T DOUBT IT, DO IT!

Philipp
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2020, 17:35

Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community

new topic post reply Update application status