Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 21:32 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 21:32
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10213 [5]
Given Kudos: 4553
Test: Test
Send PM
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [5]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10213 [1]
Given Kudos: 4553
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [9]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Name of the Program(s) you got into
I was admitted to the MSc Finance at LSE, Master in Finance at ESSEC and the MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering, but I chose to go to LSE.

A Little bit about your educational and professional background & post-MS goals
When I applied, I was in the process of finishing my BSc with a major in finance. I went straight from high school to undergraduate studies and then hopped right on the MSc bus without taking time off to work, other than doing some accounting during the summers. After the MSc, I'd like to work in investment banking.

Experience of GMAT/GRE
For this, see my GMAT debrief here.

Experience of interview
I was not interviewed for any of the programs I got into. If it counts, I was interviewed for the MSc in Financial Economics at Oxford Saïd (which I later got waitlisted for). It was reasonably laid back. The interviewer was pretty clear that he was not there to just ask me a ton of difficult questions. The questions were the usual "why do you want to study at Oxford?", "what do you want to do when you graduate?", "how will the program help you?" and "how will you contribute to the class?" type questions.

Factors that played key role in your success
Since I don't have much work experience, I think my biggest success factors were my test scores and GPA. I think my 760 GMAT, 118 TOEFL and good undergraduate track record made me quite competitive.

Advice to future applicants
Before applying to a program, make sure you've actually got a reasonable means of funding it. Tuition fees can vary widely, and scholarships are not always available. You don't want to get admitted to a program only to later realize you cannot afford it. Also, before applying to a program, take a look at the curriculum for each course to see whether it sounds like something that would actually suit you. Also, try not to stretch your GMAT studies out more than necessary. Burnout is not fun.

Anything else?
Best of luck to all of you in the process of studying for the GMAT or applying to MSc or MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Calling all MS Admits: Share your success story with the community [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Name of the Program(s) I got into
- MQM:Business Analytics Fuqua, USC Marshall MSBA, and waitlisted for Berkeley MFE.

A Little bit about my educational and professional background & post-MS goals
- I have completed my Bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineering and have a work experience of 3+ years in Research and Development in IT. From my current job it was pretty clear as to what career I want to pursue long term. My career goal after Masters would be to venture into Financial analytics clubbed with Forensics(part of my current job) and play a pivotal role in impacting decision making on the financial front.

Experience of GMAT/GRE
- I have shared my detailed GMAT info on an another thread "Persistense: The mitochondria to crack the b school dream". Please do have a look.

Experience of interview
- Out of the 3, only Fuqua invited my for an interview whereas Marshall gave an admit without an interview and Berkeley waitlisted me.
Fuqua interview experience -
It was an informal sort of interview where the alumni who just passed 2 years before from the same program interviewed me. She was very polite and understanding. The questions were very standard and nobody is looking to grill you. The questions were as follows:
a. Why Fuqua?
b. Why MQM?
c. Why Masters at this point?
d. Explain about your current job.
e. What does Fuqua community mean to you?

Factors that played a key role in my success
- Putting aside ample time to do research. Every program requires attention to detail on certain aspects. We just need to make sure those aspects are air tight. For example, a more technical course will look into your body of work and the technical knowledge you possess but on the other hand an MBA course would look into the personality and attitude. In my case I took help from MIMEssay to help me with understanding how to build a strong application and it was very fruitful.

- Do your research, make notes, talk to admissions people, network with alumni over linkedin and read blogs. Do all of these in a planned manner and sure it will prove to be the game changer for anybody.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 405
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hey everyone, my name is Philipp and I got accepted into the Strategy and International Management (SIM) at St.Gallen,Switzerland.

There is one thing that I am convinced of and that I want to tell you upfront: YOU CAN DO IT!

Now, some specifics about myself: I did my BA in Business in Austria and did various internships and studies abroad (especially Latinamerica and the US) but honestly no "serious" professional experience (besides some self initiated projects). After the MA I am thinking about doing a PHD but am not sure yet, will se how my interests develop.

When it comes to my GMAT experience and advice: I did a detailed post on this topic and also uploaded a video on YouTube, check them out for some motivation and tips!

Post (mainly methodology)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-730-adv ... 27769.html

Video (mainly attitude and mindset)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuugriwffYw&feature=youtu.be

That being said, make the best of your GMAT experience and never forget: DON'T DOUBT IT, DO IT!

Philipp
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [8]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Programs
Accepted into MS Applied Economics and Management at Cornell University, MiM at London Business School, MS in Management and Strategy at London School of Economics.
Applied to MS programs as a safety net in case I would not get into Deferred MBA programs. Was accepted into Columbia Business School and Yale School of Management, so ended up declining all those offers.

Background and Goals
Western European, BS in Business/ Economics from Top10 public school in the US, magna cum laude.
Hope to work in strategy/ turnaround consulting.

GMAT/ GRE
325 (Q163, V162) GRE and 730 (Q48, V42) GMAT. Unfortunately only had a couple of weeks to study.

Interviews
Only LBS required interview. Interviewed with alumna from the same undergrad institution as me. Very positive, friendly, and conversational. Great experience.

Factors for Success
Decently strong LORs, strong on-campus involvement, decent and meaningful internship experience, good research done in undergrad (relevant for Cornell), good academic metrics.

Advice
Start researching early and really know what each program is about. There is so much information online, so there really is no excuse to not be an expert on the school. Apply broadly, especially when applying to competitive schools. Have a common theme throughout your application. Make sure your goal is tied to your experiences. Be confident! If you don't believe in yourself, why should an AdCom believe in you? After all, you will be representing the school in the workplace after. Always focus on what you can bring to the classroom, not just on what you want to get out. And finally: Fall in love with the process of admissions. Learn about admission politics, attend events, try to understand differentiators between schools, listen to podcasts. I wish I had known everything I know now when I applied.

Anything else?
If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to help. Just DM me. I'm a little hesitant to share too much personal info here, but this forum has been a great resource to me, so I am more than happy to "give back" as much as I can. Good luck!
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
could you share your profile in more detail?

Toffelfabriken wrote:
Name of the Program(s) you got into
I was admitted to the MSc Finance at LSE, Master in Finance at ESSEC and the MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering, but I chose to go to LSE.

A Little bit about your educational and professional background & post-MS goals
When I applied, I was in the process of finishing my BSc with a major in finance. I went straight from high school to undergraduate studies and then hopped right on the MSc bus without taking time off to work, other than doing some accounting during the summers. After the MSc, I'd like to work in investment banking.

Experience of GMAT/GRE
For this, see my GMAT debrief here.

Experience of interview
I was not interviewed for any of the programs I got into. If it counts, I was interviewed for the MSc in Financial Economics at Oxford Saïd (which I later got waitlisted for). It was reasonably laid back. The interviewer was pretty clear that he was not there to just ask me a ton of difficult questions. The questions were the usual "why do you want to study at Oxford?", "what do you want to do when you graduate?", "how will the program help you?" and "how will you contribute to the class?" type questions.
could you share your profile in detail?

Factors that played key role in your success
Since I don't have much work experience, I think my biggest success factors were my test scores and GPA. I think my 760 GMAT, 118 TOEFL and good undergraduate track record made me quite competitive.

Before applying to a program, make sure you've actually got a reasonable means of funding it. Tuition fees can vary widely, and scholarships are not always available. You don't want to get admitted to a program only to later realize you cannot afford it. Also, before applying to a program, take a look at the curriculum for each course to see whether it sounds like something that would actually suit you. Also, try not to stretch your GMAT studies out more than necessary. Burnout is not fun.

Anything else?
Best of luck to all of you in the process of studying for the GMAT or applying to MSc or MBA programs.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V40
Send PM
Kudos