Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Background Check

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Background Check [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 21:23
Hey guys, one quick question. I just got admitted to Columbia and just recently noticed in my application that I mistakenly wrote that I lived in India for 6 months when it was actually 5 months. Do you guys know if Kroll checks travel records for things like this? Sorry for being a bit paranoid, but I just can't stop worrying about it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 21:36
Hey there,

To be frank, I have no certain idea what Kroll checks but here is my take:

1. I doubt they check travel records. My guess is that the focus is more on: Do you work where you say you did? In what capacity? At what salary? Are you really an Olympic ballroom dancer and world-class martial artist who must register your hands as lethal weapons at the airport?

2. Even if they DID check this, AND thought it was important enough to report back to Columbia, I'd be surprised if Columbia cared. Unless you're claiming to have done something amazing that could only have been accomplished in six months and not in five, or you need an alibi for that sixth month in order to evade a criminal charge, who cares?

3. If, in a worst case scenario, Columbia finds out and they care, they'll probably just contact you for clarification. At which point you can graciously apologize for the error; after all, the number 6 is right next to the number 5 on the keyboard. Typos are to be avoided at all costs, but hey - they happen.

In short, unless there's some part of the story you're not telling us ... be easy. And congratulations on your acceptance!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 07:57
Hey all - just saw the Kroll bit today and had a question that occurred to me.

I completed an volunteer position that was ongoing when I sent my application, but finished shortly afterward (there wasn't a preset end date) so I just changed the end date on the resume I gave to my interviewer and told her about it during the interview. Do I also need to contact the admissions office, or was this adequate?

As for verifying extracurrics and undergrad awards, every applicant I spoke to is having (hopefully completely baseless) nightmares that some staffer won't even have the records from 10 years ago when they received some award or other.

Ugh. We all hate being nervous, but the process will be over soon.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 09:46
I really wouldn't worry about Kroll. I actually had them call me about an employee in the past. They wanted to know the basic facts and were not looking for typos or a month here and there. More interested in seeing if there were any blatant lies in the application and even that was done very gently. (For example, they asked "your employee reported earning approxumately ______ per month. Is this true?). They did not ask me to check any records but just based on memory.

That was it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 17:10
Can anyone who has completed the Columbia kroll process recently (perhaps 2010 J-term admits) please share some info about it? Some of us would appreciate it greatly.

How long does the process take and exactly what does kroll check? details such as what information is passed to kroll from the application would be great.

Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 07:57
Gil wrote:
I really wouldn't worry about Kroll. I actually had them call me about an employee in the past. They wanted to know the basic facts and were not looking for typos or a month here and there. More interested in seeing if there were any blatant lies in the application and even that was done very gently. (For example, they asked "your employee reported earning approxumately ______ per month. Is this true?). They did not ask me to check any records but just based on memory.

That was it.

Was that meant for the HR? Cuz my recommenders wouldn't know my exact salary. I've also wondered if reporting to background checks would automatically contact my manager, since my manager doesn't know about Bschool yet.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 14:03
The least of anyone's worries is the background check. They are looking for huge things like checking you worked where you said you did (firm HR level), went to school where you did, have the qualifications that you say.

I am almost certain they will use their own contacts for this, rather than your recommenders. Otherwise they would not sustain such a successful cash-cow of a business from (of all people) business schools.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 15:10
I also have a bunch of questions regarding background checks:

1. Does anyone know, whether INSEAD or LBS conduct background checks? I am asking because none of those schools charge extra fees for 3rd party companies like Kroll. Do they contact HR or recommenders?

2. What if the applicant hails from lesser known part of the world like Mongolia? I can't even imagine Kroll calling a company in Mongolia, where no one speaks English. Even if they spoke Mongolian, no one at the company would ever release the data, simply because it is not allowed to.

3. This question is closely related to question 2 - isn't it obvious that background checks penalize only those who hail from so-called developed countries? In other words, someone from a developing country can simply "make up" stuff, and not a single company would ever be able to verify it. Any ideas?

4. Also, people here say that Kroll will check only the data one wrote in my application. What if she already has 3 MBA degrees from 3 different schools or has 2 unfinished Masters' degrees. How in the world would Kroll be able to check it if she doesn't write about them?

Anyone with "imagination" from Mongolia or Somali can get into HBS or Stanford, right?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background Check [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 16:21
Interesting topic.

This is all new to me as I'm applying this Fall and haven't gone through this before.

What about those of us who basically run our own companies where we are the only one in charge? Will they call me to confirm I work there? lol For the past 2 years I have run an LLC that I formed with 3 admin assistants in Bulgaria and a slew out outsources in Pakistan, but i'm the only one in charge :-)
Re: Background Check   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2010, 16:21