Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bad GMAT experience today.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Bad GMAT experience today. [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 16:08
I took the GMAT for the first time at the 100 William St location today. I was hoping to put an end to my incredibly long GMAT journey which I started at 440 and studied on and off for about 2 years, but unfortunately that would not be the case. Today was a pretty hot day so I dressed very light, still I figured the test center would have a working AC and the heat would not be an issue. When I got to the testing center, it was uncomfortably hot in there, and having 30+ other people taking the test in the same hot room does not help. By the middle of the test I was ready pass out from the heat and the pressure of the test.

As I was nearing the end of the Quant section my computer suddenly crashed! It turned out that everybody else's computer crashed as well. We all started to panic wondering whether our tests would be lost, but luckily after about 15 minutes they were able to fix the computers and revert them to where we left off. This incident completely threw me off my rhythm and towards the end of the test I nearly had a panic attack. Several people even refused to continue their test after this incident!

In the end I ended up getting a 600 (Q40,V33). In my practice tests I was scoring between a 630 and a 660 with my Verbal between a V37 and V39. I'm not one to blame others but I felt that todays whole test experience was a nightmare and now I have to wait at least another 31 days to hopefully improve my score and retake the exam.

Anyways, I would appreciate some suggestions, as to when I should reschedule my test, so I can get at least a 650 next time. I was thinking of rescheduling for August 8th as I have a vacation starting the 10th. Would that be enough time to improve by 50-75 points?

Also should I contact Pearson VUE about this incident and ask them for at least a partial refund for my horrible experience?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Bad GMAT experience today. [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 18:45
hey there, why don't you contact GMAC and see if they are willing to consider your case. Also, do look at the bright side; you now have first hand experience of test day. That being said, now would be a good time to do some serious introspection and figure out your weaknesses. I'm sure that by working hard (and smart) you will fare much better on your second attempt. Best of luck!
Current Student

Re: Bad GMAT experience today. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 09:43
I just scheduled a retake for exactly 1 month from now since I'm still in the study mode. I'm shooting for a 650-680 so I know it's DOABLE!! I have the following prep material at my disposal (I have gone through all except OG13): All MGMAT books, Access to Online MGMAT classes, OG 12&13,OG Q&V Supplements, Powerscore CR, Kaplan Gmat800.

What the best way to prep, given that I have 30 days til my exam? Should I go through all the MGMAT guides again and OG13 or should I focus on doing every problem from OG13 and going over the answer strategies for each problem?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Jones '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Bad GMAT experience today. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 14:11
I would take another practice CAT and see where your weaknesses are then hit those areas hard. It probably wouldn't hurt to go back through the number prop. book and really solidify those topics too. Also, use the OG13 and MGMATs explanations (Archer) to learn all that you can about each problem.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Bad GMAT experience today. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 18:49
It sounds like you have a good chance of meeting your goals since you indicated that your verbal score is not where it normally was on the practice test, and you were distracted by the computer crash. You'll have to check the charts to be certain but having a 37/39 instead of 33 should make a significant increase in your score.

But of course, now that you've gone through the actual exam, compare where you thought you did poorly with the results you had from previous practice exams... did areas you were weak in consistently pop up? was there something new you realized about your knowledge base?

Regarding Pearson, definitely contact them... your next test should be a free one.
Current Student

Re: Bad GMAT experience today. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:30
quick update: I received a refund of my $250 testing fee from Pearson Vue. Also thanks to Rebecca from GMAC for her help as well!

I've been working on my weak areas by watching select Thursdays with Ron videos from MGMAT and they are excellent resources. Once I'm done with the videos its all OG 13 from here.
Re: Bad GMAT experience today.   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2012, 06:30