Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: BW Data for the top 10 (spreadsheet) [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
What is really going to be telling is what those numbers look like next time they are published. With the employment landscape altered so much, a lot of schools will be decreasing the finance figures.

I believe that these BW numbers already have some effects of this new environment. I know some guys who were working for Lehman Brothers, those who were here in the US now are working for BarCap; however those in Europe really lost their jobs. It seems that our Careers Services has done an excellent job to replace them. Another strategy adopted by Chicago is to invest in new Corporate relationship with smaller and boutique firms, it means fewer offers but more diversification in terms of finance jobs available. I believe that this shift in the IBanking industry will also shift the prospects in other industries.

All schools will suffer, as fewer jobs in finance means people shifting to consulting for instance, and consulting firms will also offer fewer spots as with the global economy the way it is, companies start cutting costs with consulting projects.

Interesting to see that Chicago place more people in GM than Kellogg, that Stanford sent almost half of its class to Finance (I believe lots for PE/VC) and that Haas sent almost a third of its class to Finance and is the leader in GM.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kwam wrote:
Interesting to see that Chicago place more people in GM than Kellogg, that Stanford sent almost half of its class to Finance (I believe lots for PE/VC) and that Haas sent almost a third of its class to Finance and is the leader in GM.

Comparing to my spreadsheets from last year either UoC-BSB actually doubled their number in GM or it was reported differently. In '07 from the schools employment reports, Kellogg had 7% in GM and Chicago had 5.4%. Ya I was surprised at Stanford finance thing...I agree its probably heavily based on VC stuff in silicon valley. Haas has a very well balanced placement, with good numbers of people going into all the areas (should be a benefit for this year). I was shocked at how low the number of sponsored students was at some schools and suprised with others.

I was super shocked by some of the class stuff. Do you guys at Chicago really only have 77 electives or is that an error? Do Chicago and Harvard serious have the fewest electives considering both are large programs? I mean Ross and Sloan both have more offerings. I think the biggest surprise was that Harvards' classes are so large. I know that with case stuff participation is very important to what you get out of it. How much can you participate if there are 90 type A people in one room? I mean we have two classrooms that could actually hold over 90 people.

One interesting thing, one of my classmates who is a McKinsey guy pointed out, they didn't seem to count sponsored students in the numbers reported to BW. Some people were surprised at the seemingly low numbers considering are like a dozen guys from McK, heck there are a dozen BCG 1Ys this year alone...so seeing the numbers it looked bad for wannabe consultants. But he said that was the number of people they hired and didnt include all the sponsored kids who went back...otherwise it would have been in the 50s.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Updated for Top 20.
Attachments

BW Data.xls [255.5 KiB]
Downloaded 151 times

BW Data.xls [255.5 KiB]
Downloaded 198 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Stanford finance thing...I agree its probably heavily based on VC stuff in silicon valley. Haas has a very well balanced placement, with good numbers of people going into all the areas (should be a benefit for this year).

Yes, a LOT of Stanford people go into VCs and PE afterwards, which is considered finance.

Haas is pretty even in its placements, and more people go into different industries than many schools. We're definitely feeling fortunate here that we don't have that many people interested in Ibanking to begin with. Many of the people who want to go into finance at Haas are looking at corporate finance jobs.

riverripper wrote:
I know that with case stuff participation is very important to what you get out of it. How much can you participate if there are 90 type A people in one room? I mean we have two classrooms that could actually hold over 90 people.

that was shocking... we don't even have a classroom that holds over 60. You would have to go to the auditorium. :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Thanks River, kudos!

Its very interesting to see 21% of Haas take up GM. I always thought HBS would be the highest.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
pawan203 wrote:
Thanks River, kudos!

Its very interesting to see 21% of Haas take up GM. I always thought HBS would be the highest.

GM is pretty big here, especially in the last 2 years when they started a new GM&Strategy club. Quite a few of my friends are running that and growing it into one of the larger clubs on campus. Of course, there is often some confusion with the difference between GM and Product management at a tech company, so I'm betting most of the 21% are people who go on working for the Apples, Googles, Adobes, and other tech companies in the area.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
thanks, river.

my boss/mentor gave me some great advice when I was talking to him about rankings a few years ago:

"Once you've decided what industry you're interested in (in my case, investment management/banking), identify the best company to work for (GS) and find out were they recruit from. Unless you're uncertain about what you want to do, why would you consider any other factors?"

Take it for what it's worth but I've found it useful. That said, he was a CBS grad from GS so he's a little bias.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
AZCFA wrote:
thanks, river.

my boss/mentor gave me some great advice when I was talking to him about rankings a few years ago:

"Once you've decided what industry you're interested in (in my case, investment management/banking), identify the best company to work for (GS) and find out were they recruit from. Unless you're uncertain about what you want to do, why would you consider any other factors?"

Take it for what it's worth but I've found it useful. That said, he was a CBS grad from GS so he's a little bias.

My approach to school selection has heavily revolved around this as well. If the companies that I am interested in are not recruiting in significant numbers (i.e. more than the other top 15 schools) at the school, I won't be applying. Employment statistics and reports do not mean very much to me - who cares if 20% of your class goes into investment banking if they all work for 3rd tier firms?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
That makes perfect sense, actually.

Yet because I have no idea what I want to do, only where I want to be after my MBA, my school selection has an extremely strong regional emphasis on New York City. Darden is the one outlier I've picked because of a tremendously strong personal fit with the intellectual environment there.

I could care less about rankings within the Ultra Elite/Elite clusters.

AZCFA wrote:
thanks, river.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
That makes perfect sense, actually.

Yet because I have no idea what I want to do, only where I want to be after my MBA, my school selection has an extremely strong regional emphasis on New York City. Darden is the one outlier I've picked because of a tremendously strong personal fit with the intellectual environment there.

I could care less about rankings within the Ultra Elite/Elite clusters.

I completely agree with you and agold. That is how I came up with my rankings. A combination of companies that I wanna work for (over 3 diff fields) and regional bias towards Texas. I also agree with you abt the UE/Eleite cluster rankings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Send PM
Surprised nobody is discussing the big shakeups. How come Georgetown fell off the list? I see some big shifts on this list...what is causing this?
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Surprised nobody is discussing the big shakeups. How come Georgetown fell off the list? I see some big shifts on this list...what is causing this?

I'm not sure but perhaps the same thing that made SMU get into, well actually the reverse of the issue, which is few people answering BW.

I just realized yesterday, that the class of 2010, which I'm in, will "answer" for the next BW ranking...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Guys do you have a list of who recruits where? I use to use WSJ and they had a list of companies and it would show you where they got their recruits from. I can no longer find that on the mba portion of the site.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I found this which is old - I'd be interested in seeing some newer stats if anyone has any.

https://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 07-09.html
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
I found this which is old - I'd be interested in seeing some newer stats if anyone has any.

https://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 07-09.html

It is old, look at the BW Alumni Affairs and Careers of each school and you can see the companies hiring in each school.

There is one problem though, imagine that you want M&A at Goldman, and then you see that GS hires in a certain school, from these data you can't tell if GS is hiring for M&A, S&T, Research, or other role.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
kwam wrote:
There is one problem though, imagine that you want M&A at Goldman, and then you see that GS hires in a certain school, from these data you can't tell if GS is hiring for M&A, S&T, Research, or other role.

Agreed. This is yet another reason that it is difficult to go off employment reports - they are clouded by all sorts of mishaps such as this. Getting into Goldman's Private Wealth Management group is not as selective as getting into the Investment Banking Division - and at many lower tier schools, a majority of Goldman placements will be into PWM and other less selective groups. If I were to guess, PWM would most likely be classified on employment reports as industry "Investment Banking/Brokerage" and function "Investment Management". This is somewhat misleading as it is a sales job where you cold-call people and build up a book of business.

In the same sense, getting into Microsoft's Corporate Development/M&A group is going to be a lot more selective than getting into their Corporate Treasury group. However, all you will see on the employment report is 1 Microsoft hire, and they may even classify both of these groups into something generic like "Corporate Finance".

Everyone should do their own research and speak with current students at the schools they are interested in to get a good feel for opportunities. Employment reports are a good starting point, but they should not be your only source of information.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Am I going crazy or is yale not in the top 20 ?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2